Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panoz

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Default Panoz

You see Panoz GT-WC and GTRA cars up for sale fairly regularly, most under $20K. It seems like they'd make a pretty nice track day and occasional race car. I'm not too excited about the stock engine choices, but you occasionally see one with LS power.

I don't know much at all about these cars. Good idea or no?
Old 10-27-2015, 07:54 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

An excellent resource would be Brian Bowers, Virginia Beach, VA, Have not seen him on the forum for a while, but his id is Cobra4. He and his father have or had a Panoz and he completely rebuilt it. There is a build thread and I will let you know if I find it.

Ed
Raleigh
Old 10-27-2015, 08:07 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The build thread is on the NASA Mid-Atlantic forum titled "Rebuilding Dad's Panoz; LS1 Swap". Most pictures are removed, but that is a start.

Ed
Old 10-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
You see Panoz GT-WC and GTRA cars up for sale fairly regularly, most under $20K. It seems like they'd make a pretty nice track day and occasional race car. I'm not too excited about the stock engine choices, but you occasionally see one with LS power.

They are crude but seem to be built in a safe fashion. Live axle, Ford power, really slow in a straightline in the school car configuration, manual brakes, manual clutch meaning no hydraulic assist for either. Goes quick around corners and is a lot of fun when you're chasing cars with more power. They gap you just to have you all over them in the next series of corners. NO NANNIES!!!!

I drove down to Atlanta and picked one up for a friend of mine when Panoz was closing their school at RA. 22k as I recall. We took so many spares with us I bet he still has some left.

I think they make a fun, safe track day car.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:36 AM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

got to do some hot lap ridealongs in one few years ago, lots of fun
Old 10-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

One of our local friends has an LS1/T56 powered one. It's a safe, fun car to drive and it's something "different" that you don't see very often. It's a little faster than a C5Z at most of our tracks since it's about 400# lighter, though Kenny's has a heads/cam LS1 so it's making over 430 to the wheels.

Here's us at NCM last fall:
Old 10-28-2015, 05:37 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

In Vero Beach, FL --GTLM available but definitely north of $20K
http://www.wirewheel.com/2005-Panoz-...-for-sale.html

Old 10-28-2015, 05:48 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by raff
In Vero Beach, FL --GTLM available but definitely north of $20K
About $150K north of my wallet.

I'm thinking more like:

Offered on racingjunk.com for $20K.

Last edited by jcsperson; 10-28-2015 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:55 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

If I remember correctly there were 2 versions. Most of them were school cars and then they made a few race cars. I vaguely remember that they were very different animals.

Richard Newton
Air Filters
Old 10-29-2015, 08:42 AM
Mufflers and More
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own the 2004 Penske Panoz Matt Brooke post in his reply. The school Cars have a weaker frame and cannot handle the stress of slicks unless they are reinforced. The car is a ball to drive and very low maintenance. Feel free to contact me with any questions at kenny@lakesareaauto.com or the shop, 248-668-1200.

Kenny
Old 10-30-2015, 12:21 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Mufflers and More
I own the 2004 Penske Panoz Matt Brooke post in his reply. The school Cars have a weaker frame and cannot handle the stress of slicks unless they are reinforced. The car is a ball to drive and very low maintenance.
Thanks, Kenny. This is the kind of info I was looking for. Now I know why I see comments like, "Not a school car!" in some ads and, "School car with all chassis updates" in others. I'll definitely get in touch if I find something in my price range.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Thanks, Kenny. This is the kind of info I was looking for. Now I know why I see comments like, "Not a school car!" in some ads and, "School car with all chassis updates" in others. I'll definitely get in touch if I find something in my price range.
I happened to speak with my friend last night and it looks like he is going to be selling his series car if you're interested. New engine. Hydraulic assist added to the clutch already. Great car. White and Blue. A host of spares. In your price range. PM me and I will send you his info if you want it.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:01 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I happened to speak with my friend last night and it looks like he is going to be selling his series car if you're interested. New engine. Hydraulic assist added to the clutch already. Great car. White and Blue. A host of spares. In your price range. PM me and I will send you his info if you want it.
Ouch. Bad timing. I'm at least six months out and need to sell my C5 first.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:29 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh
They are crude but seem to be built in a safe fashion. Live axle, Ford power, really slow in a straightline in the school car configuration, manual brakes, manual clutch meaning no hydraulic assist for either. Goes quick around corners and is a lot of fun when you're chasing cars with more power. They gap you just to have you all over them in the next series of corners. NO NANNIES!!!!

I drove down to Atlanta and picked one up for a friend of mine when Panoz was closing their school at RA. 22k as I recall. We took so many spares with us I bet he still has some left.

I think they make a fun, safe track day car.
Going into T1 at threshold braking first lap will open your eyes with the manual braking! Yes, they are crude compared to industry showroom cars. Not everyone's cup of tea but they are fun and fast if you are accustomed to pure track machinery.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:26 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

big differences between the GTLMe and the panoz school car. the school cars are fairly well ran down now. i had a customer that bought one, everything was in need of replacement, all the suspension hem joints where cooked, brakes where toast, everything. so if your going to buy one of those check out what needs to be replaced. they are basic good race cars. if your looking to race i would just buy a late model stock car. parts are easier to find and that's basically what the school car is.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I was at Willow Springs last weekend and there was a flyer outside of the restaurant advertising a used Panoz.... I believe they were asking about $50k and it had a lot of work done to it recently... New engine, etc.. If you are curious you could call Willow Springs and ask them to send you a picture of the flyer..
Charley

Get notified of new replies

To Panoz

Quick Reply: Panoz