Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping racecar in trailer for extended period of time

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Keeping racecar in trailer for extended period of time

So got back from the track 2 weeks ago and got lazy and decided to keep the car in the trailer. I moved the car forward so the weight wouldn't tip over the trailer, Unhooked, blocked off the trailer tires and have the trailer on the standard trailer stand on the tongue.

I'm not concerned about the car however does anyone see any issues keeping the car on the trailer for a month or so at a time from the trailer perspective?

I have a 2014 ATC all aluminum 24ft trailer.

Just wanted to see if this really isn't a good idea for the trailer suspension or tires or if it won't affect anything at all.

Thanks for any input.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:08 PM
mquintrell
4th Gear
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I'd be more concerned about the car. One time I took my car to a car show. It was late when I arrived so the car sat in the trailer overnight. It got cold enough to frost. The next morning I open the trailer about 10 am and the car was covered in "sweat", everything, engine, frame, diff, all of it. Evidently an uninsulated trailer heats up a lot faster than heavy chunks of metal with the sun beating down on it. This is the same reason hunters leave their rifles out on the porch rather than bringing them in the nice toasty warm cabin at night. After a month or two you might find that race car a rusty lump. The more humid the climate the worse the problem.
Old 10-28-2015, 09:25 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Would there be any advantage to getting some desiccant bags and placing them around the trailer and in the car? An uninsulated metal roof will certainly get hot quicker in direct sun but if moisture can be reduced would that work?

Would leaving the roof vent open help?
Old 10-28-2015, 12:41 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

We have done this fairly regularly with our chumpcars. Depending on whats in the shop, we will just put one of the cars in the trailer and lock it up. But here in the PNW we dont get the real cold to beating sun (trailer is parked to not get direct sunlight), so the sweating issues isn't a concern.
and instead of the desiccant bags I would just buy a cheap de-humidifier and leave it plugged in.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:44 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-m...0v-ac--7867518

Old 10-29-2015, 10:34 AM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mquintrell
Actually I'd be more concerned about the car. One time I took my car to a car show. It was late when I arrived so the car sat in the trailer overnight. It got cold enough to frost. The next morning I open the trailer about 10 am and the car was covered in "sweat", everything, engine, frame, diff, all of it. Evidently an uninsulated trailer heats up a lot faster than heavy chunks of metal with the sun beating down on it. This is the same reason hunters leave their rifles out on the porch rather than bringing them in the nice toasty warm cabin at night. After a month or two you might find that race car a rusty lump. The more humid the climate the worse the problem.
I was thinking about storing the C6 in the trailer this winter for additional garage space... I believe I'll reconsider that decision now. Funny, the simplest things we sometimes over look. Have a friend who stores two Corvettes in the race trailer over the winter (northeast) and we never discussed whether he uses products to counter moisture.

I guess the wife's SUV will just have to spend another winter outdoors!
Old 10-29-2015, 03:12 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I do it all the time without any issues. I added a couple of vents in the roof to make sure the fuel smell can get out...

I have never had the condensation problem that was mentioned earlier. Perhaps that is because I live in Southern California where it isn't too hot, cold, or humid.

Charley

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 10-29-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:19 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've never had an issue with keeping it in the trailer, I leave the side vents open to keep from trapping humidity in with the car.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:36 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Put an old school drop light with an old school 150 watt bulb in it on the radiator or under hood where it cant melt anything.

I have done this to stop an engine from freezing, it will keep enough heat in it to keep it dry(should). Like in the old country pump house.

I have also done this to an engine with the heads off, just laid it in the lifter valley to stop the condensation/rust, it works.

Worth a shot
Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks all for the replies! I will get a dehumidifier like what el Es tu posted or maybe one bigger just in case. Trailer is in direct sun light but this time of year the sun isn't has harsh. Unfortunately I don't have a vent as the AC unit now occupies where the vent was.

Dehumidifier looks to be a good idea just to be safe.

Tire and suspension wise I have been told it shouldn't be an issue although the car is heavier than the trailer lol.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:31 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Toilets
Unfortunately I don't have a vent as the AC unit now occupies where the vent was.

My trailer didn't come with roof vents either. Luckily they aren't difficult to install. The vents are about $35 each and all you need is a ladder, drill, jig saw, screw gun, sealant, and a bunch of screws.

Charley

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping racecar in trailer for extended period of time

Quick Reply: Keeping racecar in trailer for extended period of time