Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Race Numbers

I want to get some numbers for my car for autocross races. Guys with vinyl numbers end up taping them down anyway, because they just won't stay on at speed. It's not a dedicated race car so I need removable, so, short of painting them on, what is best? Where can I get them?

Thx
Old 10-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my re-usable vinyl #'s from SoloTime... they've stayed on at both autoX and DE speeds.

http://www.soloperformance.com/

Downside to them is that they get dirty and probably won't last much more than a season worth of use.
The following users liked this post:
Vic'sVette (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 11:34 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

My vinyls stay on at hdpe events and have lasted for several years. I store them flat on a sheet of rigid plastic. The instructions say not to use silicone based waxes on your car otherwise they will not stay on. I use Griot's carnauba based wax which doesn't have an effect on the numbers and the numbers have stayed on over multi-day events.

HTH
Vic'sVette (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 12:12 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I ordered 2 of the "meatball" type vinyl stickers from Track Decals. Should be here on Friday, so I'll give more feedback then. I figured one big sticker might be easier to take on/off than individual numbers. I also went with a font that I could flip upside down. (I can be 81 or 18).
Vic'sVette (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 12:33 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a much better solution, do what I did and just buy a vinyl cutter and make your own! Then after the event remove and trash them, and just apply new when you need them!
:-P

I am mostly kidding, I did get a vinyl cutter, its great
http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-...n-Cut-Software

vinyl is cheap (Calendar vinyl), and its amazingly easy to use. I did all the graphics on my car, when I get tired of the "Battlevette" i wont feel bad peeling it off.

Vic'sVette (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 12:55 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine are home made using contact paper. Stick well and leave no residue when removed. Downside, not really re-usable, so have to cut new ones each time.
Vic'sVette (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by emptnest
Mine are home made using contact paper. Stick well and leave no residue when removed. Downside, not really re-usable, so have to cut new ones each time.
I do the same thing. Bought a $5 roll of contact paper. I then go on google images and look up race car number fonts and look for a cool one. I print it full size on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper, cut it out and then trace it onto the contact paper.

Its a fun ritual the weekend before an event.

They stay on really well. I had runs in a downpour and they stayed on fine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan H.:
tommyc6z06 (07-10-2022), Vic'sVette (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 02:32 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

If you use waterand a squeegee to put them on and do like someone already mentioned and store them on a piece of acrylic they will last for years like mine have.

Vic'sVette (10-28-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 02:40 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

It is not so much the putting them on that I have an issue with, but removing them is a PITA! I tend to leave my vinyl numbers on all the time because the corners tear when I try to get a small section started so I can pull them off. Plus this way everyone on the street looks at me like I am crazy when sitting at a stop light.

Anyone have a good tip on removing vinyl?
Old 10-28-2015, 03:17 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by emptnest
Same here for past 7 years.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:20 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
It is not so much the putting them on that I have an issue with, but removing them is a PITA! I tend to leave my vinyl numbers on all the time because the corners tear when I try to get a small section started so I can pull them off. Plus this way everyone on the street looks at me like I am crazy when sitting at a stop light.

Anyone have a good tip on removing vinyl?
I use the static cling style vinyl. Comes off super easy. You can peel it up with a finger nail or drivers license.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:43 PM
Vic'sVette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexracer77
I have a much better solution, do what I did and just buy a vinyl cutter and make your own! Then after the event remove and trash them, and just apply new when you need them!

vinyl is cheap (Calendar vinyl), and its amazingly easy to use. I did all the graphics on my car, when I get tired of the "Battlevette" i wont feel bad peeling it off.

THAT is friggin sweet!!! What kind of vinyl do you use? Removable?

Old 10-28-2015, 08:01 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Been using my same set of Solotime numbers on 2 different cars for 4 years, say 20 events?

They go on a freshly spray waxed door & get cleaned and spray waxed before removal. Hands clean also and put back on paper they came on.

Install and remove using a flexible blue applicator.

Still still stick well enough to stay on my car at Daytona.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Siddvette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not very reusable

Originally Posted by bigmackloud
I ordered 2 of the "meatball" type vinyl stickers from Track Decals. Should be here on Friday, so I'll give more feedback then. I figured one big sticker might be easier to take on/off than individual numbers. I also went with a font that I could flip upside down. (I can be 81 or 18).
If your looking for race numbers to take on and off, the TRACK DECALS.com product didn't work for me. I ordered the vinyl meatball type. What I got was probably vinyl, but less than the thickness of a piece of paper ... and stretchy (deformed easily). If you order from this company, I'd strongly recommend you get in touch with them first so you know exactly what your getting. Soloperformance.com's reusable vinyl is a solid product, used it for 3 years and only now are they showing their age (had I found the meatball style on soloperformance I wouldn't have gone to a different website in the first place).
Old 05-10-2016, 11:45 AM
Siddvette
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
Been using my same set of Solotime numbers on 2 different cars for 4 years, say 20 events?

They go on a freshly spray waxed door & get cleaned and spray waxed before removal. Hands clean also and put back on paper they came on.

Install and remove using a flexible blue applicator.

Still still stick well enough to stay on my car at Daytona.
Solotime and Soloperformance are the same website. I've used them for years also, although I don't know about all that waxing and blue applicator stuff, I just wipe the door with a paper towel ... stick em on ... and pull them off when I'm done (then put them back on the sheets they were delivered on). Took three years before they started getting a bit dirty on the sticky side and that's racing every Sat. and Sun. for 9 months a year.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:49 PM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Siddvette
If your looking for race numbers to take on and off, the TRACK DECALS.com product didn't work for me. I ordered the vinyl meatball type. What I got was probably vinyl, but less than the thickness of a piece of paper ... and stretchy (deformed easily).
Yep, that was my experience also. I don't think what I got was really meant to be taken on/off. The decal stretched/tore. I was able to get two events out of them but they're now in the trash. Actually I'm glad this thread came back up because I need to order something different.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

My favorite:

http://www.izoomgraphics.com

Get notified of new replies

To Race Numbers

Old 05-10-2016, 04:14 PM
loudes13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexracer77

Anyplace where I can see an instructional video on making # like that. Buying the cutter is one thing, producing them is another.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:51 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Shelf paper.
If you are careful removing can reuse several times.

Last edited by FKING1; 05-10-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

edecals.com is where I get mine; not sure what they have for reusable options but worth a look.

Quick Reply: Race Numbers