Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get different wheels/tires for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 01:37 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Should I get different wheels/tires for HPDE?

This weekend I'm going to swap out wheels/tires. I now have 3 sets of wheels/tires.

>> Chrome set for daily driving
>> Original 5 spokes that I'll be using for winter tires
>> Older split spokes which I intend to paint black and use for HPDE events

The chrome/polished wheels are new to me and I am just now going to mount them. The split spokes are on there now...and without tires...I'll have a chance to clean them up and take them to shop to have them painted black.

My question is this: All 3 sets are the standard OEM 18/19" staggered sizes.

For HPDE, would I be better off changing over to a square set up...or otherwise changing to different wheel and/or tire sizes so that I get better grip?

I'd appreciate some suggestions so that I don't waste my money painting these split spokes right now.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMonkey73
This weekend I'm going to swap out wheels/tires. I now have 3 sets of wheels/tires.

>> Chrome set for daily driving
>> Original 5 spokes that I'll be using for winter tires
>> Older split spokes which I intend to paint black and use for HPDE events

The chrome/polished wheels are new to me and I am just now going to mount them. The split spokes are on there now...and without tires...I'll have a chance to clean them up and take them to shop to have them painted black.

My question is this: All 3 sets are the standard OEM 18/19" staggered sizes.

For HPDE, would I be better off changing over to a square set up...or otherwise changing to different wheel and/or tire sizes so that I get better grip?

I'd appreciate some suggestions so that I don't waste my money painting these split spokes right now.
If you are a beginner and plan to only track 1-2x/year, just use those wheels and use a set of street tires and have fun!
Beyond that, there are numerous options out there for wheels & tires!

Ron
The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (11-06-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 10:18 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A separate set of wheels and tires for HPDE vs daily driving is a great idea. That way you can get the best of both worlds and maximize tire life. I also agree with Dr Ron in that it's a good idea to get a bit more experience before committing to a set of wheels for the track. There are a lot of options out there, but there are also trade offs (most wheels that are significantly better than the ones you have will be $$$$). It took me ~15 weekends on the track to get to a point where I could really improve my lap times from relatively small mods such as moderately wider wheels and tires.
The following users liked this post:
BigMonkey73 (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:43 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

OK, fair enough. I'll stick with standard OEM size wheels and tires till I get more seat time. I'll revisit this after 3rd quarter 2016 events. Hopefully I'll have 6-8 more weekends under my belt by then!

Get notified of new replies

To Should I get different wheels/tires for HPDE?

Quick Reply: Should I get different wheels/tires for HPDE?