Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple Oil

Old 11-06-2015, 03:04 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Royal Purple Oil

Anyone using RP 20-50 racing oil? Change intervals for HPDEs?

I've been using Mobil 1 0-50 racing oil, but could not get it overnight and need to prep my car tomorrow.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:16 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazyandbroke
Anyone using RP 20-50 racing oil? Change intervals for HPDEs?

I've been using Mobil 1 0-50 racing oil, but could not get it overnight and need to prep my car tomorrow.

I've never run over a 40 weight oil in my LS6 in my C5 or in my LS6 that was in my 99Z28, neither had/has an oil cooler.

I only run in the winter months in the southeast.

I have run Mobil 1 0-40 Euro from Wal Mart the last few years and change it every 4 days on track(16 sessions).

Blackstone said the oil in the Camaro was fine at the 16 session interval and could go longer.

I ran damn near everything in the Camaro, Royal Purple, Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum, Amsoil, Mobil 1. All did well and all were 40 weights.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 11-06-2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:32 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I run 20-50 VR1.never an issue. love it
Old 11-06-2015, 09:44 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
I've never run over a 40 weight oil in my LS6 in my C5 or in my LS6 that was in my 99Z28, neither had/has an oil cooler.

I only run in the winter months in the southeast.

I have run Mobil 1 0-40 Euro from Wal Mart the last few years and change it every 4 days on track(16 sessions).

Blackstone said the oil in the Camaro was fine at the 16 session interval and could go longer.

I ran damn near everything in the Camaro, Royal Purple, Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum, Amsoil, Mobil 1. All did well and all were 40 weights.
Thank you for the feedback. I called Royal Purple's Tech line and they suggested the same as you are doing. The lighter oil as we know reduces engine friction, that said, if one prefers, the heavier viscosity is also acceptable. I'm Ol' school and do feel better using the heavier oil.

The Tech suggested that I take some hot oil/rpm data coming off of the track. Basically, after the brake cool down period, before engine shutdown run the engine at 3k, 4k & 5k rpm and record the oil pressure. If I make 10 psig increases/1k rpm change with the 50 wt, it will be safe to drop down to 40 wt oil if desired. This is just rule of thumb and was only a suggestion.

Last edited by carcrazyandbroke; 11-06-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:26 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrazyandbroke
Thank you for the feedback. I called Royal Purple's Tech line and they suggested the same as you are doing. The lighter oil as we know reduces engine friction, that said, if one prefers, the heavier viscosity is also acceptable. I'm Ol' school and do feel better using the heavier oil.

The Tech suggested that I take some hot oil/rpm data coming off of the track. Basically, after the brake cool down period, before engine shutdown run the engine at 3k, 4k & 5k rpm and record the oil pressure. If I make 10 psig increases/1k rpm change with the 50 wt, it will be safe to drop down to 40 wt oil if desired. This is just rule of thumb and was only a suggestion.

I have been road racing LS engines for over 10 years and have never used anything heavier than 10-40 and actually run most engines with a combination of 5-30 and 10-40 Royal Purple. I have also never blown an engine. You also need to apply appropriate maintenance measures. Heavier weight oil tends to build more heat. Also aluminum blocks use tighter clearances than old SBC. I think in a road race or HPDE situation, you are trying to build dependability and if you need to use 20-50 to maintain appropriate oil pressure you are probably masking other issues. Use appropriate oil cooler and I think your engine will be happier. If you look at a lot of the research done by Joe Gibbs in reference to oil viscosity I think you will find that the newer lower viscosity oils are more efficient and add to engine life.
The following users liked this post:
carcrazyandbroke (11-08-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:17 PM
carcrazyandbroke
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J.R.
I have been road racing LS engines for over 10 years and have never used anything heavier than 10-40 and actually run most engines with a combination of 5-30 and 10-40 Royal Purple. I have also never blown an engine. You also need to apply appropriate maintenance measures. Heavier weight oil tends to build more heat. Also aluminum blocks use tighter clearances than old SBC. I think in a road race or HPDE situation, you are trying to build dependability and if you need to use 20-50 to maintain appropriate oil pressure you are probably masking other issues. Use appropriate oil cooler and I think your engine will be happier. If you look at a lot of the research done by Joe Gibbs in reference to oil viscosity I think you will find that the newer lower viscosity oils are more efficient and add to engine life.
Thanks J.R.....After my research and feedback from yourself and the others in this thread, I agree the 10-40 is better to help remove heat and reduce engine friction. Unfortunately, I have 8 quarts of $18/quart 20-50 in my car. I will run the next event, take my data and then make the swap. My engine is fresh and oil pressure is not a problem. Thanks all for the feedback. Old dogs can learn new tricks!

Last edited by carcrazyandbroke; 11-08-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Royal Purple Oil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Royal Purple Oil