Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I have been bitten by the bug!! ...and tire question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 08:19 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Default I think I have been bitten by the bug!! ...and tire question

Ran my 03 Z at the BSR "Refridgerator Bowl" at Summit yesterday. That is the first time I've run my car in something like that. I had an absolute blast!!! The first heat was a section of Summit main from turn 4 through to turn 9. I was in the first group and it was pretty cold. I couldn't get traction at all.

In the afternoon we ran a section of Shenandoah and I felt like I was getting lost on the coarse and was pretty much on the edge of being out of control LOL. I ended up with the 6th best time with some national autocross drivers ahead of me!!

I want to attend a FATT at Summit in the Spring to really learn more about reading proper lines etc..

So my question is this: How can I tell if my Nitto's have passed their lifespan in terms of grip? I bought the car with a bunch of spares (willwood pads, Nitto NT05's etc..). The Nittos look to be about 5 years old but felt really greasy.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:05 AM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

My guess is you're running NT05's? You never clearly stated what tire you have on the car.

1. If they are Nitto's they won't be competitive.
2. If they are 5 years old, they are well past their prime. Check the manufacturer date on the sidewall.

^ None of these things matter if you're just starting. If you are truly bitten by the bug, spend your $ on more events, which means seat time. If available, find a driving school to attend. They are $$ but the seat time and instruction are worth it.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:35 AM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 185 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes, sorry. I have the NT-05s.

I agree 100% and will look to add more track time hopefully with an instructor. I want to make sure I am a least safe with the equipment I'm running. Luckily the previous owner of my Z is a track instructor and set the car up really well. Now it's the driver mod that needs work!!
Old 11-16-2015, 12:01 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

grip levels will drop with any tire. generally with street tires they will lose grip slowly. i noticed every time the tires dropped below 32* (think winter) they would loose a good amount of grip. if my tires make it threw a year i throw them out after winter and buy a fresh set in the spring.

right now the hero super grippy tire is the BFG rival S. if your just learning and want a tire to beat up on check out the Falken 615k, hankook rs3, or the standard rival.

Last edited by johnny c; 11-16-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Next year get out on the full main track. Turn 10 is a fast right hander and turn one is pucker zone! Turn 3 is also very fast as you learn it.

The Washington, D.C. Scca group is a good bunch of folks for a track day and run there throughout the summer
Old 11-17-2015, 08:12 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Audi, Porsche and Mercedes groups used to run events at Summit Pt and if they still do, attend their events. Without an instructor you're only going to strengthen bad habits so lapping days aren't the best way to learn.

Tires degrade over time and tend to harden reducing grip just from time even if not used. 5 years is very old in track "years".

Get notified of new replies

To I think I have been bitten by the bug!! ...and tire question

Quick Reply: I think I have been bitten by the bug!! ...and tire question