Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Corvette Racing Endurance Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 06:57 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Default 2016 Corvette Racing Endurance Drivers

Press Release:

Fassler, Rockenfeller Bolster Corvette Racing U.S. Endurance Lineup

Championship-winning drivers join for defense of Rolex 24, Sebring GTLM victories

DETROIT (Nov. 16, 2015) – Already one of endurance sports car racing’s most prominent teams, Corvette Racing is adding even more championship-winning talent to its roster for the first two rounds of the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. Marcel Fassler and Mike Rockenfeller will complete the team’s lineup for the Rolex 24 At Daytona and Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring in the pair of Chevrolet Corvette C7.R race cars.

Corvette Racing is the defending GT Le Mans (GTLM) winner of both premier events. Adding two drivers who have won major endurance races around the world – including a combined five victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans – augments the experienced Corvette Racing driver lineup as it prepares for the first two endurance races of 2016.

“As we’ve learned over the years, winning at Daytona and Sebring requires a Corvette race car that demonstrates the proper balance of performance, reliability and efficiency. Winning also requires flawless execution by the team and drivers,” said Mark Kent, Director, Chevrolet Racing. “We feel very confident that adding Marcel and Rocky to our lineup in these two key races will maximize our chances of success. Their collective accomplishments speak for themselves, and they will add a tremendous amount to our endurance program at Corvette Racing.”

Fassler is readying for his second stint with Corvette Racing. The Swiss native was part of the team’s endurance lineup in 2009. He was part of the runner-up trio at Sebring and also contested Le Mans and Petit Le Mans in a Corvette C6.R. He has not raced at Daytona but Fassler won overall at Sebring in 2013.

Fassler is a past World Champion in the FIA World Endurance Championship and won Le Mans overall in 2011, 2012 and 2014. His exploits in a Corvette also include a win at the 24 Hours of Spa in 2007.

Rockenfeller is a past overall winner at the Rolex 24 and Le Mans – both in 2010. In each of the last three years, he has driven Corvette Daytona Prototypes at the Rolex 24 with a third-place finish with VisitFlorida.com Racing in 2015; he and VisitFlorida.com also were third at Sebring.

Rockenfeller has a pair of additional podium finishes at Daytona. He won the 2013 DTM championship and is a past GT2 winner in the American Le Mans Series and at Le Mans.

Corvette Racing continues its preparation for the 2016 season in an open IMSA test Nov. 17-18 at Daytona International Speedway. Corvette Racing’s first race of the season is the 54th Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 30-31.

MARCEL FÄSSLER, CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – DAYTONA AND SEBRING: “It’s really great that I have the chance to drive again for Corvette Racing at Daytona and Sebring. It’s a fantastic opportunity to do those first two races in America. I already have raced three times for Corvette Racing in 2009 and have really good memories of working with the team. It’s always good to see them at Le Mans and other races where we cross paths. This is a great feeling. It’s the first time I’ve done the Rolex 24 At Daytona, so I’m a rookie but very highly motivated. I always have wanted to be a part of this race in a competitive car. Being with Corvette Racing gives me a chance to go for a class win. This is our main goal and the same for Sebring.”

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – DAYTONA AND SEBRING: “I’m very happy to join Corvette Racing for Daytona and Sebring. The team is one of the best in endurance racing and one I’ve always watched at major races. As a driver, you always want to be part of winning organizations. Corvette Racing is one of those. It will be great to get back in a GT car for two of the biggest events of the year – including the Rolex 24 which I won in 2010. I’m hoping I can help Corvette Racing win there again in 2016. I’m excited to get started and get my first laps in the Corvette C7.R.”

Taylor Brothers to Tackle Le Mans as Third Drivers for Corvette Racing

Preparations well under way for attempt at ninth class victory at 24 Hours

Jordan Taylor part of winning Le Mans lineup in 2015 and returns for fifth straight year
First start for Corvette Racing at Le Mans for Ricky Taylor
Corvette Racing full-season drivers to lead charge again at Le Mans

DETROIT (Nov. 17, 2015) – Corvette Racing has confirmed its lineup for next year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans with brothers Jordan and Ricky Taylor as third drivers in the team’s two Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs. They will join full-time Corvette Racing teammates Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen, Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the 84th running of the 24 Hours race in France.

Corvette Racing is the defending race winner in the GTE Pro class. In addition to going for a second straight victory, Corvette Racing will try for a ninth class win since 2001. Gavin, Milner and Jordan Taylor scored a victory in the No. 64 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R in June.

“The 24 Hours of Le Mans is a key part of Corvette Racing’s schedule,” said Mark Kent, Director, Chevrolet Racing. “Racing against the best teams, drivers and manufacturers in the world on the demanding 8.47-mile circuit is something that we look forward to each year. It allows us to demonstrate, on a global stage, the performance, reliability and efficiency of the Chevrolet Corvette. Corvette Racing has eight class championships at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and our goal is to repeat as champions in 2016. We hope that the addition of Ricky and the return of Jordan help us achieve our goal of a ninth class victory.”

Jordan Taylor is part of Corvette Racing’s Le Mans lineup for the fifth consecutive year. In addition to this year’s victory, he finished second with Garcia and Magnussen in 2014. Ricky Taylor will race at Le Mans with Corvette Racing for the first time; he will make his third start in the race and last competed there in 2014.

The Taylors have raced together the last two years in Wayne Taylor Racing’s No. 10 Konica Minolta Corvette Daytona Prototype. The pairing have played key roles in the development of the Corvette DP and won four races the past two years in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship – including a pair of victories this season.

Ricky Taylor claimed two pole positions in the 2015 TUDOR Championship, and Jordan Taylor is a past Driver’s Champion in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series. They will drive the Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette DP again in the 2016 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

Corvette Racing continues its preparation for the 2016 season in an open IMSA test today and Wednesday at Daytona International Speedway. Corvette Racing’s first race of the season is the 54th Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 30-31.

JORDAN TAYLOR, CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – LE MANS: “It’s always great to go back to Le Mans, especially with Corvette Racing. This time we go back looking to defend our victory from last year after one of the most mentally draining weeks that I’ve experienced. Looking back on the race, it’s amazing what the entire Corvette Racing team accomplished. I will never forget the feeling of being on the top step of the podium and I know we all are going for the same result this year. The updated Corvette C7.R looks stunning and I can’t wait to get my first laps in it. Having Ricky be part of the team also is great, and I’m confident he will fit in and perform well. We’ve been a part of many big moments racing a Corvette DP in IMSA. Hopefully we can carry that over to Le Mans.”

RICKY TAYLOR, CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – LE MANS: “I’m honored to be chosen to represent Chevrolet and Corvette Racing at Le Mans. I’ve raced there twice but nothing compares to going there as part of this team. It means a lot to me to have this opportunity, and I fully intend to support my teammates to the best of my abilities. Getting time in the Corvette C7.R this far ahead of the race is a huge benefit. This is a great car and it’s easy to see why it has had so much success. Le Mans is like no other race in the world. It was special to see Jordan, Oliver and Tommy stand on the podium after winning last year’s race. I hope we can join them there this time around.”

Quick Reply: 2016 Corvette Racing Endurance Drivers