Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is anyone running SCCA T2 in a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 03:29 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default is anyone running SCCA T2 in a C5?

I grow weary of chasing NASA's ST3 rules, and going up to ST2 doesn't help as there were basically no cars there last season in the Great Lakes region, so I am considering heading over to SCCA.

It looks like T2 is almost the same as PTA/TTA, basically a stock C5Z with some weight added (3450 lb comp weight) fits right in.

I am new to the SCCA regional vs majors race idea, so i am trying to understand how it works, how to qualify for the runoffs, and find some people who can help me understand what i need to do to make the car T2 legal (and competitive).

Anyone around here running older vettes?

TIA

Last edited by ScaryFast; 11-19-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:52 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I am running SCCA T2 since T1 was detuned in 2013. I run locally out of California SoPac conference. This year I ran on the East from Michigan towards Virgina to Florida and Louisiana.

There is still a good core of C5's but the class has been written for the new Mustangs. We have too much weight and too small a restrictor. If you are a hot shoe you can compete with the mustangs. A mustang won 2015 daytona a power track. A Mustang was leading all qualy on a handling track Laguna Seca 2014. But the 2014 Runoffs lead mustangs took each other out and a Porsche beat a real hot shoe Kyle Kelly in his C5. Kyle Kelley won GT1 chamionship in 2014. He was the only threat for GT1 2015 but did not make his race. If Kyle can't win in a C5 not many others could.

If T2 has 8 cars on grid that's good. The farther west you go the thinner the fields. We had 20 or 23 for the Runoffs and that is the biggest field we get all year. Runoffs are at Mid-O 2016 and I plan to go. 2017 will be at Indy and I plan for that too.

In 2013 when T1 got retuned SCCA lost a bunch of racers to NASA ST2. I considered ST3 because that was closer to a T1 car. The T2 and ST3 are even closer if you do ST3 without aero. If you have an ST3 car it should be pretty easy to convert to T2. If you have blown your LS6 and out in an LS2. (not sure if NASA allows that you just set up for power to weight) then you can't run T2 in a C5 because you must have a stock engine.

If you did lots of aero for ST3 but detuned your power or have a non-stock motor maybe look at T1 or GT2
Old 11-19-2015, 09:06 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Jon,

Try this guy, he posts a lot on the forum and is a supporting vendor:
Sam Strano
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com
814-849-3450

I think he is very active in SCCA and works with C5's.

Ed
Old 11-20-2015, 09:18 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Thanks for the information, guys. Basically what fbb said is what i was gathering from the Forums and talking to a few people.

Where does a C5 end up with a 55 mm restrictor? About 360 RWHP?

Basically i was about to spend a lot of time and money this year to turn my car from a second place ST3 car to a front runner with aero, suspension, etc. But that immediately removes it from T2. So i can use it as a mid pack T2 and a mid-pack ST3...
Old 11-20-2015, 10:55 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

T2 seems like a good place for nearly stock C5's to race. If people write to the CRB and show data that C5's are not competitive in the class they might listen and reduce weight or increase restrictor size. The difference between scca and nasa is with scca if they don't say you can make a change then you can't. In nasa it's the opposite. So in T2, you run the old T1 suspension and sway bars, poly or delrin bushings, non-adjustable shocks, stock engine and manifolds, stock drivetrain, 55 mm restrictor, and 3450 lb race weight on 295 max tires. If you want to go to the Runoffs, then doing the Majors is an easier way to get there. Basically just do 3 Majors weekends and complete at least 3 races and finish in the top half of the field or something like that. I'm not sure what a stock ls6 makes with a 55 mm restrictor but I would guess under 350 whp. My built ls6 with cam and headers was making around 380-390 whp with a 60 mm restrictor in T1.

If you move up to T1, you have the option of running any corvette engine you want (each with it's own specified restrictor size and weight), built engines within certain specs, adjustable shocks, aero or no aero, larger tires, aftermarket clutches, diffs, trannys. In T1 if you run aero (which is limited to a 2" front splitter and single element wing below the roof), then you reduce restrictor size by 5 mm. They allow dry sumps in T1 and T2. Then GT2 basically takes a T1 corvette and makes it faster by allowing larger restrictor sizes and less weight.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:55 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You need to talk to Danny Kellermeyer at DJ Racing. He's really close to you and I would go see him before I do anything. You might also get him to coach you. The man knows Waterford Hills.

Richard Newton
Old 11-23-2015, 02:48 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

My car is pretty well gutted, how seriously do they take those rules if I meet the minimum weight? I have no interest in stuffing a heater core assembly back under the dash. I do have the dash skin, factory gauges, center console, etc.

Also i have a lexan front window, is that legal?
Old 11-24-2015, 12:48 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
My car is pretty well gutted, how seriously do they take those rules if I meet the minimum weight? I have no interest in stuffing a heater core assembly back under the dash. I do have the dash skin, factory gauges, center console, etc.

Also i have a lexan front window, is that legal?
You are ok on dash stuff. No lexan windows.

For all current rules:

http://www.scca.com/downloads

look at latest sept GCR then look at

http://www.scca.com/pages/fastrack-news "fastrack"

for oct and nov and dec updates not yet included in 2016 jan GCR not yet printed.

look at section for T2 and the specification lines for exact things you can do to your make and model car
The following users liked this post:
ScaryFast (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 03:04 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
You are ok on dash stuff. No lexan windows.

For all current rules:

http://www.scca.com/downloads

look at latest sept GCR then look at

http://www.scca.com/pages/fastrack-news "fastrack"

for oct and nov and dec updates not yet included in 2016 jan GCR not yet printed.

look at section for T2 and the specification lines for exact things you can do to your make and model car
Thanks for the links. I have been looking at the Dec GCR, but only at the T1/2 sections. I haven't waded into the other 700 pages yet...

Last edited by ScaryFast; 11-24-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:34 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

T2 just got a little relief, the Mustangs gained 50lbs and lost 20mm of tire width. The E92 BMW M3 also lost 20mm of tire.

Get notified of new replies

To is anyone running SCCA T2 in a C5?

Quick Reply: is anyone running SCCA T2 in a C5?