Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benefits of adding weight?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 08:51 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Benefits of adding weight?

This last weekend in my C5Z06 I went faster with passengers. Were talking #220-250. This is not always the case, but this time without a doubt. This was an Autocross on a slippery lot. My car is corner balance for a half tank of gas, and my weight of #150. I probably only had a 1/4 tank of gas or less when I turned my best times with these passengers. I don't get it. The track was going clockwise. Any guesses?

Steve
Old 11-19-2015, 09:23 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

My guess is that you had a bit more adrenaline and pushed the car closer to the limit with an audience. I generally run 1 to 1.5 seconds slower with a passenger on road courses.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I have found the same when I give rides, I attribute it to better rear grip/traction mostly. I always run a full tank on low grip lots.

I get really excited when I get a 150-175 # passenger to ride.

200+ not so much.

Last edited by froggy47; 11-19-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:35 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Even though my car is corner weighted with only me I find the same with a passenger and I do some fast lap times. The car does have a different feel that I like. Beats me, but it does happen.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:32 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Right side weight in a clockwise direction is always a good thing. Same as left side bias in counter clockwise, basic physics.

Something the others did not mention, you may have been driving smoother with the passenger than when you are alone. Smooth = speed
Old 11-20-2015, 09:20 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Typically you get to take passengers at the end of the day - the more you run a track the better you get at it. I've done the same thing with a passenger - and it kinda pisses you off - where was that 1 - 1.5 seconds an hour ago!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:48 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

did you see the corner and cross weights when you had the corner weighing done? When I had mine done I was surprised by the variation. You may have better balance with a passenger?? Also the strange way GM manages fuel my not be helping. The right tank empties first then the left tank.

Charley
Old 11-21-2015, 11:02 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, if you can fit two 300 pound guys in the car, it could handle like a c6z!
Old 11-21-2015, 11:42 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
did you see the corner and cross weights when you had the corner weighing done? When I had mine done I was surprised by the variation. You may have better balance with a passenger?? Also the strange way GM manages fuel my not be helping. The right tank empties first then the left tank.

Charley
are we talking about c5? my tanks equalise when engine is not running. just some food for thought.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:21 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Steve,

I have thought that too on occasion. Have you thought about taking your car as is race weight and scale it and measure the alignment/ride height. Then add the 200lb guy in the right seat scale and measure again and look for changes? RH is definitely effected.

With cornerweights 99% of people go for 50/50 cross which is supposed to equalize left and right turns. I have heard others sacrifice 50/50 for more equal LF and RF weights for better threshold braking. I presume there are other theories as well. Perhaps the added weight altered the corners was the ticket.

Your impressions could be very track specific too like more left turns than right turns. That's why I think I notice a change only on occasion like your report.

Last edited by fatbillybob; 11-21-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Considering that no matter what track you run on, there are a net 360 degrees more of Left or Right turns depending on the direction of the track, i.e More left turns on counterclockwise and more right turns on clockwise tracks. In that case is it reasonable to want a 50/50 weight distribution? Do the round y round guys just set their corner weights at 50/50 Left to Right or do they put more weight on the inside?

Considering that all the tracks I run are clockwise, I would think the added traction of a passenger might be worthwhile and that I should set the car up to have more weight on the right side of the car (considering that I don't compete with a passenger). OTOH, I have no idea of how much more weight should be on the right side.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:28 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I learned years ago that my car was much faster and easier to drive when it was heavier with ballast than it was when it was lighter (better pw/wt ratio).
Old 11-24-2015, 04:20 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It might be worth while if the opportunity presents itself to weigh car with passenger to see what changes. Then maybe trying to adjust car (if possible) to same percentages to see how car handle with passenger out of car. It can be surprising what a 1-2% change will do.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:07 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
My guess is that you had a bit more adrenaline and pushed the car closer to the limit with an audience.
It depends on who whats a ride, but the audience usually gets me slower times. I'm to worried about what there thinking.

Originally Posted by froggy47
I always run a full tank on low grip lots.

I might have to try that. I'm usually around half a tank.

Originally Posted by brkntrxn

Something the others did not mention, you may have been driving smoother with the passenger than when you are alone. Smooth = speed
I posted the video earlier and it didn't look that smooth to me. I was sideways a lot. Sometimes my smooth equals slow.

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Typically you get to take passengers at the end of the day
This was in the morning session.

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
did you see the corner and cross weights when you had the corner weighing done?

Charley
I did it myself. So yes.

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Steve,

I have thought that too on occasion. Have you thought about taking your car as is race weight and scale it and measure the alignment/ride height. Then add the 200lb guy in the right seat scale and measure again and look for changes? RH is definitely effected.
Originally Posted by Kevova
It might be worth while if the opportunity presents itself to weigh car with passenger to see what changes. Then maybe trying to adjust car (if possible) to same percentages to see how car handle with passenger out of car. It can be surprising what a 1-2% change will do.
Good idea, but that sounds like a lot of work.

My conclusion: Drive the car to your best ability. Setup the car up to your best ability. Let it go at that.

Thanks for all the comments.

Steve
Old 11-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
Considering that no matter what track you run on, there are a net 360 degrees more of Left or Right turns depending on the direction of the track, i.e More left turns on counterclockwise and more right turns on clockwise tracks. In that case is it reasonable to want a 50/50 weight distribution? Do the round y round guys just set their corner weights at 50/50 Left to Right or do they put more weight on the inside?

Considering that all the tracks I run are clockwise, I would think the added traction of a passenger might be worthwhile and that I should set the car up to have more weight on the right side of the car (considering that I don't compete with a passenger). OTOH, I have no idea of how much more weight should be on the right side.

It really depends on the track configuration. Most circle car classes have a maximum left side weight rule for just that reason.

Mountainbiker2,

I've got some scales left over from my NASCAR days. I'm in Valencia. Bring your car and lets take a look at your corner weights with and without a passenger.

My 2002 Z06 with 315-30-18 Hossier A7s on Z06 wheels looked like this with about 5/8 tank fuel.

Driver only:

906 841

765 758

Driver and passenger:

921 901

804 839
Old 11-24-2015, 09:59 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Originally Posted by Rookieracer

It really depends on the track configuration. Most circle car classes have a maximum left side weight rule for just that reason.

Any idea of what the max L side weight would be for a circle track car? Is it expressed as a percentage?
Old 11-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

2900 - 3000 lb cars would be 57 - 58% maximum left side weight depending on the class.

Get notified of new replies

To Benefits of adding weight?

Old 11-25-2015, 05:08 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario

When I was Kart racing we had to carry weight to make up the minimum class weight, being new at the game I made up my lead weight and bolted it to the rear of the kart seat.
The track I ran at was anti-clockwise. One day I noticed that all the regular racers had their weights on the left side of their seat.
So next meeting I put mine on the left side of the seat, and guess what, my lap times were faster. It was a bit of a dog on the only 2 right hand corners but that didnt matter !
Old 11-25-2015, 07:42 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
2900 - 3000 lb cars would be 57 - 58% maximum left side weight depending on the class.
Wow, that is a lot more than I would have thought !

Originally Posted by blackozvet
When I was Kart racing we had to carry weight to make up the minimum class weight, being new at the game I made up my lead weight and bolted it to the rear of the kart seat.
The track I ran at was anti-clockwise. One day I noticed that all the regular racers had their weights on the left side of their seat.
So next meeting I put mine on the left side of the seat, and guess what, my lap times were faster. It was a bit of a dog on the only 2 right hand corners but that didnt matter !
Really makes you think that 50/50 side to side may not be the right way to go and may explain why some folks find having a passenger helps lap times despite the higher weight.

Maybe for clockwise track we need cars with right hand drive like the Brits.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:12 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

looking at Rookieracer's weight chart the passenger changes front weight from 55 to 53%, left side from 53 to 50% and cross weight from 51.5 to 50% which makes a big difference how car will handle. IMO the car should handle better because of better weight distribution, If possible I would try to adjust to get these percentages without adding weight if possible.

Quick Reply: Benefits of adding weight?