Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding power for my C5 Z06 Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Lots of better options out there now. I would not waste my time with a Hot Cam.

You can put headers, intake, no cats and a tune and make more power than a Hot Cam.

Not trying to argue, cam tech has made huge advances in the last 10 years.
Your statement also applies to a lot of the "better options out there" .
There is no magic camshaft technology, the differences from one manufacturer to another are subtle and seldom noticed running HPDE. The Hot Cam is priced right, has low lift for long valve train life, makes good power where you need it most, and is rock solid dependable. The OP can spend a grand on an intake and TB that adds NOTHING or spend about $550 for the cam swap and gain 30 to 40 HP and about the same in torque.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:53 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop
Your statement also applies to a lot of the "better options out there" .
There is no magic camshaft technology, the differences from one manufacturer to another are subtle and seldom noticed running HPDE. The Hot Cam is priced right, has low lift for long valve train life, makes good power where you need it most, and is rock solid dependable. The OP can spend a grand on an intake and TB that adds NOTHING or spend about $550 for the cam swap and gain 30 to 40 HP and about the same in torque.
By intake I didn't mean intake manifold.

Cam lobe technology has made huge strides as of late, if you haven't been keeping up with it. Power is power, no matter if you are HPDE or drag racer.

Lobe profiles are easier on parts and the smaller cams of late are equaling power of the larger cams of 5 years ago.
Old 11-26-2015, 01:14 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are doing a cam, you need to be sure that the intake and heads can breathe with it. I put a long duration cam in with .573/.574 lift, but it has ***** ramps on it to keep valve acceleration down to reasonable levels. I just used the GMPP (aka Lingenfelter) heads and a 90mm TPIS intake with a 90mm snout put on the LS6 intake. Tuning for stoichiometry, it put down 447 to the wheels with a with torque band a touch north or 400 ft-lbs.

On the track, assuming good speed through the corners, it will run down well piloted C6Z's. The C6Z will out pull me at the very beginning of the straight...no replacement for displacement.

The only other perf mod on the car is standard LG SuperPros (cat-less), still running the stock cat-back. If the 1 7/8 SuperPros were available when i did the work, I would have gone with them. With the really shallow ramp angles on the cam, my red line is 7,200. With the big heads, the car idles like crap, but damn does it scream on the track.

If this sounds like something you are interested in I can dig out the cam card; it is just a stock Comp Cams grind, nothing custom.

The other thing I did, for reliability, was Che bushed LS rockers.

Last edited by kmagvette; 11-26-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:38 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Headers, CAI, high flow cats and conservative tune got me from 354 to 370 RWHP and 344 to 356 torque on my 02Z (Dynojet, mid-July in Dallas). I was told that a moderately larger cam was key to unlocking the potential of the extra air flow and could get me into the 420 RWHP range.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Phiber Optik
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup a cam swap is a bit of a pain, but it is really the heart of the motor it controls where the power is delivered. You're not going to gain much up top without getting the valves opened faster, and holding them open longer. I strongly recommend a cam swap to any LS owner, it should be a must for a track racer! it's a bit more work to get the front accessories out of the way, but bang for the buck I don't think a cam can be beat, I made 440 Rwhp with a basic setup on LS1 with much worse heads than you!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:40 PM
t.renz791
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of bang for the buck, why not do Ls7 manifolds/cats h pipe? Can be had for under 500 used, you will pick up 10-15 hp and lose a little weight off the nose.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by kmagvette
If you are doing a cam, you need to be sure that the intake and heads can breathe with it. I put a long duration cam in with .573/.574 lift, but it has ***** ramps on it to keep valve acceleration down to reasonable levels. I just used the GMPP (aka Lingenfelter) heads and a 90mm TPIS intake with a 90mm snout put on the LS6 intake. Tuning for stoichiometry, it put down 447 to the wheels with a with torque band a touch north or 400 ft-lbs.

On the track, assuming good speed through the corners, it will run down well piloted C6Z's. The C6Z will out pull me at the very beginning of the straight...no replacement for displacement.

The only other perf mod on the car is standard LG SuperPros (cat-less), still running the stock cat-back. If the 1 7/8 SuperPros were available when i did the work, I would have gone with them. With the really shallow ramp angles on the cam, my red line is 7,200. With the big heads, the car idles like crap, but damn does it scream on the track.

If this sounds like something you are interested in I can dig out the cam card; it is just a stock Comp Cams grind, nothing custom.

The other thing I did, for reliability, was Che bushed LS rockers.
I have a video of me in my C6Z chasing Keith in his C5Z after he did the change over. Very strong running car, damned good driver and with some well timed passes of slower cars he disappeared into the distance.

Bill

Quick Reply: Adding power for my C5 Z06 Track Car