Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracspec hood vent questions, GT1 vs GT2 models

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Thanks for the update Dan. Car looks very nice! Surprised there wasn't much difference in the oil temps. Are you planning on adding the side vents soon? I honestly would be worried less about the sides opposed to the center vent based off the battery cover and alternator cover you can get.
Thanks for the compliments!
My friends at the track call my car a princess, sometimes the worst nicknames are the ones that stick the most

I'm not planning the side vents. I still don't love the concept of water over the fuse panel. If/when coolant temps become an issue, I'll pick up a RD or Dewitts radiator and call it a day.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:36 AM
jdwtx85
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Bringing back from the dead.
Really want to help Underwood temps of my c5z here in South Tx.
Which vents do y'all recommend?
T1
GT2

does anyone have any more pics since the last post

Another? If you cut the hood higher up the hood, what happends in the center area where the dimple is
Thanks Jason

Last edited by jdwtx85; 07-13-2018 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:40 AM
eric1855
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jdwtx85
Bringing back from the dead.
Really want to help Underwood temps of my c5z here in South Tx.
Which vents do y'all recommend?
T1
GT2

does anyone have any more pics since the last post

Another? If you cut the hood higher up the hood, what happends in the center area where the dimple is
Thanks Jason

I recently installed the Trackspec vents on my C5. Very easy to install, once you get over the idea of cutting into your hood. Make sure, when you do, to wear long sleeves, pants, gloves, and a respirator, fiberglass dust is no fun on your skin.

As for the dimple, the Trackspec kit comes with a small insert that fills in the dimple under the top of the vent. And for the rain, I've just been using some vinyl to cover when its sitting outside for awhile or in pouring rain, when its moving/racing its not really a problem the air coming out keeps the rain out. I have some spare alumalite laying around I think I am going to make some covers that velcro onto the vents for when its sitting outside or when I'm towing.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:02 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Go with the bigger center vent and make sure that you position the leading edge of the vent right over the back edge of the radiator. Some people are putting the center vent too far to the rear. You want to utilize the low pressure zone that is created on the front third of the hood. The farther back on the hood that you go, the less benefit you will see. Also, positioning it just behind the radiator promotes the creation of a lower pressure zone on the back side of the radiator promoting flow through it and lowering temps.

Look at post #16 - good placement, post #4 - too far back

Last edited by fmcokc; 07-18-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by fmcokc
Go with the bigger center vent and make sure that you position the leading edge of the vent right over the back edge of the radiator. Some people are putting the center vent too far to the rear. You want to utilize the low pressure zone that is created on the front third of the hood. The farther back on the hood that you go, the less benefit you will see. Also, positioning it just behind the radiator promotes the creation of a lower pressure zone on the back side of the radiator promoting flow through it and lowering temps.

Look at post #16 - good placement, post #4 - too far back

This statement is absolutely correct. Even slightly forward of this position is preferable according to my research, but as a practical matter, to connect with my under hood radiator ducting, I placed mine as shown below. But this spot is very close to the lowest air pressure area on the hood itself. The other very low pressure areas are where you see the side vents where the air flow spills over the side of the fenders. The highest pressure is the front bumper area and the center of the hood in front of the windshield.

PS. This car was the prototype for the development of these particular GT2 vents for the Corvette.

The following users liked this post:
fmcokc (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 07:15 PM
jdwtx85
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Sucks the big one is so ugly and the small sides are tiny compares to the t1
Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jdwtx85
Sucks the big one is so ugly and the small sides are tiny compares to the t1
I suggest you talk to Trackspec. I am sure they can mix and match styles to suit your tastes. The GT2 setup on my race car is totally a pragmatic performance oriented setup to provide maximum venting and down within the GT2 rules that limit hood venting to three vents not greater than 600 square inches total.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:49 PM
Spaggs
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rkdc5z06
I saw this car and got a better understanding how the side vent really will get effective.
I'm taking notes for my build.

I saw the holes in the tops of the fenders and was wondering if anyone has done this and had measurable results? It looks like they would help with brake temps, as well as downforce.
Spaggs
Old 07-22-2018, 06:51 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

I am mixed on the amount of pressure that really exists in the front wheel wells of a Corvette based upon the wind tunnel images I have seen. The spill over the fenders creates a lot of low air pressure. For myself I have decided not to cut out the fender liners. I race with Jim Tway, the blue car in the photo, regularly. I think cutting those holes out of the liners does draw some air, but so is benefit derived from pulling it out of the main engine bay only. In the end the two changes might just equalize each other in terms of front pressure relief. More definitive testing would need to be done beyond my unsophisticated methods.

Quick Reply: Tracspec hood vent questions, GT1 vs GT2 models