Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

elan nasa prototype. $65k

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
they made the nose like that because it's modular. if you bump someone and crack it, you can replace it without needing to buy the entire front end. also under the nose is the air intake to cool the driver.
Sounds like reasonable design criteria, but to my eye it really hurts the look of an otherwise great looking car. It isn't that it is terrible... It just could have been a much better looking car with a nose job.

Charley
Old 11-24-2015, 07:15 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
i was talking to the engineers they said theoretically (in spec trim) it would be in the Mid-high 1:50's at vir. They didn't give me a guess for Road Atlanta. RA is a very heavy HP dependent track, i doubt it will set that track on fire. i think mid 1:30's could happen if it has enough down force to take turn 1 without brakes.
For most cars, 1:30 at Road Atlanta is equal to 2:00 at VIR. So mid 1:50's at VIR is going to equal to solid mid 1:20's at RA.

FWIW, the SR8 Radical RA pole lap at the Radical Cup was 1:19 and change, the SR3 was 1:23.xx. Both run Dunlop slicks.

I look forward to seeing what the NP01 will do at RA on the Toyo DOT R, if I had to take a guess, I'm gonna say 1:28-1:29. I'd be pretty impressed if it did a 1:27 or quicker.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:23 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The whole thing is retarded and is nothing more than an attempt to help Elan sell their cars and a pathetic attempt by NASA to attract folks to their series by offering up a flashy mail order race car. The problem is that no one will buy these cars other than filthy rich old guys that can't drive fast anyway so we'll never really know how fast they can go.
NASA needs another spec class like we need another Muslim in the white house.

Last edited by sperkins; 11-24-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:42 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
The whole thing is retarded and is nothing more than an attempt to help Elan sell their cars and a pathetic attempt by NASA to attract folks to their series by offering up a flashy mail order race car. The problem is that no one will buy these cars other than filthy rich old guys that can't drive fast anyway so we'll never really know how fast they can go.
Tell us what you really think! The last issue of Speed News said they've sold 17 so far. Not gonna be winning much contingency prizes for awhile methinks.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:57 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Old 11-25-2015, 01:03 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

LOL, like a Corvette but only worse then? Maybe Elan will release its own line of wax too? I will say this class won't gain much traction in the RM Region. Not enough people willing to crap out the money for the thing. We're amateurs here, not aspiring pros. WRT Scaryfast's post, the local guys here have been buying up a bunch of roundy round cars and road coursing them in ARRS. They're cheap, fast, and built for the rigors of racing, not just a street car with a cage that eventually falls apart.

http://www.arrs.us/

Last edited by Supercharged111; 11-25-2015 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to add link
Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

The whole thing is retarded and is nothing more than an attempt to help Elan sell their cars
Well they are a business. lol

I don't really have an issue with it, however I would agree that there are a small % of grassroots racers that are arrive-drive and/or buying or having build turn key cars. Sure there are a few of them, but the majority of folks are going to buy a car, then spend the next several years developing it. Even if you spent $65k doing it, it's going to be a bit easier to swallow doing it over time vs stroking a check on the front end. That's going to limit the potential buyers. That being said, they seem to be moving a few of them, so I'm interested to see how many they move going into and through 2016.

I could never have one with the intent of running it in a spec class, I would be too obsessed with tinkering with it.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:25 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Well they are a business. lol

I don't really have an issue with it, however I would agree that there are a small % of grassroots racers that are arrive-drive and/or buying or having build turn key cars. Sure there are a few of them, but the majority of folks are going to buy a car, then spend the next several years developing it. Even if you spent $65k doing it, it's going to be a bit easier to swallow doing it over time vs stroking a check on the front end. That's going to limit the potential buyers. That being said, they seem to be moving a few of them, so I'm interested to see how many they move going into and through 2016.

I could never have one with the intent of running it in a spec class, I would be too obsessed with tinkering with it.
Agreed. Elan sells cars and NASA tries to recruit drivers and racers. They are doing what they do. How they implement it will determine its success though. Will they have a separate group for it? That would be annoying. They seem too fast to run in Lightning and IMO too small to run against full GT race cars for safety reasons.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:25 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Bashes the elan car and obama in the paragraph. i am impressed. but i do agree with you. i think selling it as a spec car in a series full of cheaper spec cars is pointless.

i'm 100% the same way. i think spec racing is the fastest way to spend money racing. look at spec miata. you spend 10K-7k on a 1.8l engine. i could buy a ls3 for the same money.

the running costs of this car is going to be 1/2 or the running costs of a c6z. i bet with a bump in power, a diffusor and the rear sway it will put down similar times.

For most cars, 1:30 at Road Atlanta is equal to 2:00 at VIR. So mid 1:50's at VIR is going to equal to solid mid 1:20's at RA.

FWIW, the SR8 Radical RA pole lap at the Radical Cup was 1:19 and change, the SR3 was 1:23.xx. Both run Dunlop slicks.

I look forward to seeing what the NP01 will do at RA on the Toyo DOT R, if I had to take a guess, I'm gonna say 1:28-1:29. I'd be pretty impressed if it did a 1:27 or quicker.
The RA time is 100% my guess. aka talking out of my ***/ bench racing. so don't quote it an a officially announced time.

Last edited by johnny c; 11-25-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:42 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Agreed. Elan sells cars and NASA tries to recruit drivers and racers. They are doing what they do. How they implement it will determine its success though. Will they have a separate group for it? That would be annoying. They seem too fast to run in Lightning and IMO too small to run against full GT race cars for safety reasons.
That was my point wondering were they would run. I wouldn't want to mix it up with some converted NASCAR who couldn't see you.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:37 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah, I would want to know what group these cars will be racing in. I assume Norcal will just pile them into the already 'slightly' crowded Group C which has the following classes: SU, ST1, ST2, ST3, GTS5, GTS4, GTS3, GTS2, GTS1, PTF, PTE, PTD, PTC, PTB, AI, AIX, USTCC, INEX, CMC, CMC2, SE46, FFR, SI, Legends, and SpecZ.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:57 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z06801
I wouldn't want to mix it up with some converted NASCAR who couldn't see you.
There was a West that used to run with us, that I literally could not see. It was a miracle a few times he got by me, because I was doing my own thing and could not see him until he got by.

That being said, the height of the NP01 is much higher, so it's easier to see. When we were camera car filming it, I noticed this.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:14 AM
johnny c
Drifting

There was a West that used to run with us, that I literally could not see. It was a miracle a few times he got by me, because I was doing my own thing and could not see him until he got by.

That being said, the height of the NP01 is much higher, so it's easier to see. When we were camera car filming it, I noticed this.
when we where doing the testing at AMP a guy with a west came up and started asking questions. when i told him it was 65k, he stuttered "i just contracted another west for 195k", i said dang you could of bought 3 of these.... you could see the gerbil running the wheel in his mind.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:21 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah, I think the price point of this car is very good. It's not a 15 year old used street car with some "race mods". A spec class with a sealed motor eliminates most if not all the additional cost of most spec classes. The problem will be getting enough to race in your region. I think they might try to combine regions to bring enough cars together at certain events.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:24 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Does anyone know the Performance numbers for this car? Cornering G's, 0 -60, etc? It looks like a lot of fun...but they could have done a better job on the nose. It just doesn't look right with the rest of the car IMHO.

Charley

http://www.turnology.com/features/ca...et-spec-racer/

looks like we did get some data.

2.5 max lateral G force. consistent 2g.
I think a normal ST 1-2 car is around 1.5G, sustained max 1.7g. that's on $2,000 worth of Hoosiers.

Dry weight: 1,450 lbs. (estimated)
Wheelbase: 102 inches
Length: 161 inches
Height: 43.9 inches
Width: 75.4 inches
Horsepower: 185
Torque: 145 lb-ft
Max Track Speed: 155 mph
2015 kit Price: $64,995
2015 Assembled Price: $73,495
Lightweight ready-for-paint or vinyl wrap individual composite body panels (fenders, quarters, etc.)
1018 steel-tube frame with integral roll-cage structure
ACT clutch and lightweight flywheel
AEM Infinity ECU
AiM MXL2 dash (upgradeable to MXS or MXG)
Burns Stainless exhaust header
Electron Speed body and engine wiring harnesses
Mazda 185 hp, 2.0-liter MZR four-cylinder engine, tuned and sealed by Élan Power
MCS double-adjustable shocks
Hypercoil springs
OZ series-specific 17-inch x 9-inch wheels
Pyrotect fuel cell, 11 gallon
Sadev SL75 six-speed sequential transaxle
StopTech forged calipers
LED tail/brake lights
Toyo Proxes RR 235/40/17 tires
Wilwood pedals and master cylinders

Last edited by johnny c; 11-25-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:19 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

We can just put those little orange flags on tall poles on them like they do with dune buggies out in the sand

We seem to get a ton of little motorcycle engined race cars in STU in the Great Lakes. There are always a couple per event, I never pay attention so I can't recite them.

There's also a DP that runs SU...you can hear me screaming "get the F&$*K out of my way" in the last race video as he blew by me at Mach 1 on the straight, got between me and the leader, then parked it in the first corner. Just amazing.

Last edited by ScaryFast; 11-25-2015 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:29 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
We can just put those little orange flags on tall poles on them like they do with dune buggies out in the sand

We seem to get a ton of little motorcycle engined race cars in STU in the Great Lakes. There are always a couple per event, I never pay attention so I can't recite them.

There's also a DP that runs SU...you can hear me screaming "get the F&$*K out of my way" in the last race video as he blew by me at Mach 1 on the straight, got between me and the leader, then parked it in the first corner. Just amazing.
HAHA i almost rear ended a DP car at Daytona! blew past me coming out of the first horseshoe, he slams his brakes to make the turn for the kink. that's an easy lift and tun for a normal car, he should be flat. so yea i feel your pain.

Get notified of new replies

To elan nasa prototype. $65k

Old 11-25-2015, 03:57 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/i-drov...rea-1744264890

This article says 1:01 at Buttonwillow West Loop.

I found a 2:05 for Camaro Z28.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:10 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/i-drov...rea-1744264890

This article says 1:01 at Buttonwillow West Loop.

I found a 2:05 for Camaro Z28.
You mean 1:05.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/button...loop-config-24
Old 11-25-2015, 06:52 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Yeah, typo on my part.

Quick Reply: elan nasa prototype. $65k