Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

elan nasa prototype. $65k

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 07:04 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Yeah, I think the price point of this car is very good. It's not a 15 year old used street car with some "race mods". A spec class with a sealed motor eliminates most if not all the additional cost of most spec classes. The problem will be getting enough to race in your region. I think they might try to combine regions to bring enough cars together at certain events.
Yea, the Mazda motor costs are very reasonable, at least for the spec open wheel cars I was building. And they stay competitive.
We ran our 4 year old rental car against a brand new one and there was almost zero difference in the acceleration. At the time, a rebuild was $4,500.

Brake rotors last 3 seasons, didn't have to work on them at the track, just gas and go.

And they're damn fast.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Bill32; 11-25-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 PM
srfdbc7
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill32
Yea, the Mazda motor costs are very reasonable, at least for the spec open wheel cars I was building. And they stay competitive.
We ran our 4 year old rental car against a brand new one and there was almost zero difference in the acceleration. At the time, a rebuild was $4,500.

Brake rotors last 3 seasons, didn't have to work on them at the track, just gas and go.

And they're damn fast.
Maybe I missed it but has the minimum race weight with driver been published for the NP01?
Old 11-25-2015, 10:02 PM
AJRocketeer
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Since this is the Corvette Forum Road Racing section, I think you'll find most guys here A. Like Corvettes B. like making them faster. So a "spec" car powered by a tiny engine isn't going to get a lot of praise around here. Its a neat idea, and yes for the price its got decent speed, but there are too many of these types of cars out there that just dilute the pool for racing. Also isn't one of the problems with NASA and SCCA now that there are too many classes?

I've been curious to see what the real laps times are. I see a lot of posts going in circles. Claiming 5 seconds faster than a 991 Cup car, which is serious speed, probably talking 1:15's at NJMP Thunderbolt, but i see from the video it only did a 1:28, and it doesn't look like much more room to go. Not sure if the guy wasn't using the curbs because the car can't, or just didn't know his way around. For reference I turned a 24.1 in a C5 Z06 that was built to the pre-2009 SCCA T1 rules. No fancy brakes, or shocks, or aero.

Andrew
Old 11-25-2015, 10:21 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by srfdbc7
Maybe I missed it but has the minimum race weight with driver been published for the NP01?
I don't know but Johnny listed the weight at 1,450.

The car in my post is 1,250.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:22 PM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like fun to me.

Of course we're on a corvette forum, but everything doesn't have to be a comparison against corvettes. I want to drive anything I can get the keys to!

Supposedly NASA will have one running at the 25 hour. You guys will have all sort of lap times comparisons to work on then.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AJRocketeer
Also isn't one of the problems with NASA and SCCA now that there are too many classes?
Andrew
Yea, they should get rid of classes like Spec Miata.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:50 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Will they have a separate group for it? That would be annoying. They seem too fast to run in Lightning and IMO too small to run against full GT race cars for safety reasons.
My understanding was it was "built" to run with the bigger cars. While it seems to be a robust structure, I'd rather be in the 3200 lb GT car vs a 1500 lb P car when they decide to interact.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
My understanding was it was "built" to run with the bigger cars. While it seems to be a robust structure, I'd rather be in the 3200 lb GT car vs a 1500 lb P car when they decide to interact.
As a Radical driver I can tell you that it is more cumfortable to be on the track with similar sized cars. Prototype style cars are so low that it is hard for drivers of street based cars to see. But, driving a light weight high downforce car is an amazing experience.

Charley
Old 11-27-2015, 06:30 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

A lot of this discussion seems totally irrelevant. It's a Spec Racer guys.

The real question is can they sell enough of them to create a real race. Building 17 cars for the entire United States won't do it.

The real competition for this car is the SCCA Spec Racer Ford. SCCA has just introduced a GEN3 car so it could get interesting.

The good part is that with SRF there are full classes. If you buy an early SRF you can run vintage with it.

We have to wait and see if they can sell enough to actually hold races. That's going to take a couple of years.

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images
Old 11-27-2015, 12:07 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AJRocketeer
Since this is the Corvette Forum Road Racing section, I think you'll find most guys here A. Like Corvettes B. like making them faster. So a "spec" car powered by a tiny engine isn't going to get a lot of praise around here. Its a neat idea, and yes for the price its got decent speed, but there are too many of these types of cars out there that just dilute the pool for racing. Also isn't one of the problems with NASA and SCCA now that there are too many classes?

I've been curious to see what the real laps times are. I see a lot of posts going in circles. Claiming 5 seconds faster than a 991 Cup car, which is serious speed, probably talking 1:15's at NJMP Thunderbolt, but i see from the video it only did a 1:28, and it doesn't look like much more room to go. Not sure if the guy wasn't using the curbs because the car can't, or just didn't know his way around. For reference I turned a 24.1 in a C5 Z06 that was built to the pre-2009 SCCA T1 rules. No fancy brakes, or shocks, or aero.

Andrew
true but the general corvette tracking path goes, buy a corvette, shine corvette, go to cruse nights, gets bored with shows, do a track day with corvette, get bit by the fun bug, and here is the split...
path A turn corvette into race car, get laid, have fun.
Path B realize corvette is kinda pricey to race and buys separate car (with cheaper operating expense) to race with, keeps corvette shinny.

I'm a path B guy. Kevin is probably a path A guy. not saying one is right and the other is wrong, but if your a path B guy/gal then the NPo1 is kinda exciting.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:22 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Johnny C, say "hey" to Rob, I worked with him at Riley.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:02 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by TLGunman
Johnny C, say "hey" to Rob, I worked with him at Riley.
will do but what's your real name? :P
Old 11-27-2015, 04:05 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
will do but what's your real name? :P
LOL, "Dave".
Old 11-28-2015, 06:47 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

There are Corvette guys and then there are Racers.

Racers will drive anything that can win. They have no marque loyalty.

Corvette guys will struggle forever trying to make a Corvette that can win it's class - even if the rules mean the Corvette is totally screwed.

Richard Newton
Old 11-28-2015, 01:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026

Corvette guys will struggle forever trying to make a Corvette that can win it's class - even if the rules mean the Corvette is totally screwed.

Richard Newton
Old 11-28-2015, 05:26 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026

You forgot the X racer HPDE guys just looking for a solid platform that believed the hype and thought the Corvette was a track car???

I am hoping they sell a zillion of these so in a few years they will be widely available and cheap.

Last edited by blkbrd69; 11-28-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:23 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
I am hoping they sell a zillion of these so in a few years they will be widely available and cheap.
Me too.

Get notified of new replies

To elan nasa prototype. $65k

Old 12-01-2015, 11:52 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...Prototype.aspx
Old 12-02-2015, 09:07 AM
parsonsj
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt
You forgot the X racer HPDE guys just looking for a solid platform that believed the hype and thought the Corvette was a track car???

I'm no X racer, but this looks like a whole lot of fun to me. And a great value too. Instead of spending hours and hours getting my car back into street form after the weekend so I can idle around town in my so-called dual-purpose track car.

The time savings alone can let me get to the track a whole lot more.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:16 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by parsonsj
I'm no X racer, but this looks like a whole lot of fun to me. And a great value too. Instead of spending hours and hours getting my car back into street form after the weekend so I can idle around town in my so-called dual-purpose track car.

The time savings alone can let me get to the track a whole lot more.
he's saying that GM sold the corvette as a track car. a car that can tame any world class event, and then take the wife out to the movies. the reality is (like any street car) it has some shortcomings on a track. it can be made into a GT racer, but not right out of the box.

Quick Reply: elan nasa prototype. $65k