Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros/Cons of using an ATI dampner

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 03:21 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG

Anthony,
what one would you recommend? i have space limitations so i cant extend anything. i want the dry sump pump to be ran off the same location as the oem ac compressor. i would also like a 10% under drive or no under dive. 25% is just too much. I tried looking at summit but that search is impossible.

Maybe I missed it but long post or short post crank? ARE makes a few different systems, one that retains an internal pressure or you can do external pressure.

Have you already bought the dry sump system?

Personally I'm partial to the Daily system. This is the "normal" three stage system we use on a lot of cars because you don't have to mess with changing the engine mounts like you do on a 4 or 5 stage kit.

Last edited by Anthony @ LGMotorsports; 11-25-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:26 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

jason,
You are a gentleman and a scholar thank you.
I'm looking at this pump.
http://www.drysump.com/3020pump.htm
can you verify the ATI dampener part number?
when i'm ready to buy i will call you to order.
The dry sump pump in that link is scavenge only, so it can be serpentine drive. You'll need a different part number. 917249. We don't carry it.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

jason,
You are a gentleman and a scholar thank you.
I'm looking at this pump.
http://www.drysump.com/3020pump.htm
can you verify the ATI dampener part number?
when i'm ready to buy i will call you to order.
Jason said the same thing....that is an older one and doesn't need the cog drive as it is suction only. We used a similar system on the '04 WC cars.

Gary has some good listings here for that pump and things to go with it: http://www.drysump.com/ls1.htm

Depends on what you are after really, both the Daily and the ARE systems have their own unique qualities.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:51 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Jason said the same thing....that is an older one and doesn't need the cog drive as it is suction only. We used a similar system on the '04 WC cars.

Gary has some good listings here for that pump and things to go with it: http://www.drysump.com/ls1.htm

Depends on what you are after really, both the Daily and the ARE systems have their own unique qualities.
i called daily, their pans won't fit on my car. is a LS1 swap miata. they do look nice and simple. i really like simple.

one thing that is on topic and hasn't been answered. is if it's ran off a serpentine do i really need a ARE dampener? i already have the slp damper, can i just use that? here is the part for reference https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1968-s...tte-wbolt.aspx

Last edited by johnny c; 11-25-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:39 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

i called daily, their pans won't fit on my car. is a LS1 swap miata. they do look nice and simple. i really like simple.

one thing that is on topic and hasn't been answered. is if it's ran off a serpentine do i really need a ARE dampener? i already have the slp damper, can i just use that? here is the part for reference https://www.texas-speed.com/p-1968-s...tte-wbolt.aspx
Really? Those pans are pretty darn compact. Bill knows his stuff, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit (at least not without some work )

I haven't used that SLP unit, do you know if the A/C is underdriven or not? It doesn't appear so, if that is the case then yes you probably could, you just don't want the A/C to slow down since that is being used as your suction drive now. Personally I would still go with the ATI balancer but that's me. Longer track history of no issues, at least with our race cars.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:23 PM
fmcokc
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkntrxn View Post
I have been racing my C5Z for five years now with over 10,000 race miles on it. All with stock balancer.

My power steering rack started leaking during the East Coast Champs and my plan is to change to an ATI damper and Hinson motor and trans mounts while the power steering rack is coming down. To me, it is a "might as well" when the rack has to come out. Otherwise, I personally wouldn't mess with it until you can see a definitive issue with your OEM damper.

Originally Posted by froggy47
That is nothing short of a miracle to put that many race miles on a stock balancer, and not saying you didn't but wow, there are so so many threads about problems with them it's hard to fathom.

We can do that in 1 1/2 years. We average 1200 miles per race weekend. Just ask Latebrake...

Last edited by fmcokc; 11-25-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:32 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Really? Those pans are pretty darn compact. Bill knows his stuff, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit (at least not without some work )

I haven't used that SLP unit, do you know if the A/C is underdriven or not? It doesn't appear so, if that is the case then yes you probably could, you just don't want the A/C to slow down since that is being used as your suction drive now. Personally I would still go with the ATI balancer but that's me. Longer track history of no issues, at least with our race cars.
a pan can only be 1.5" deep. i can't run a stoker or a ls7 lol. serious space restrictions but hey it's a miata.

the slp isn't under driven on the AC, i talked to Garry at ARE. i need the ati pulley he recommends. i guess the AC sup is smaller on that particular ATI pulley, it allows me to spin the pump at a 1:1 ratio.

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of using an ATI dampner