Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Called Michelin Today!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Called Michelin Today!!

This may have been discussed before but had to hear it from the horses mouth. I currently have the PS2 ZP (275/325 stock C6Z sizes) and they seem to be working pretty well for AutoX. This is the first time I have used these tires and am new to AutoX (years of road racing). I plan on going back to the MPSS in (285/345 size) but want to be sure they actually perform better in AutoX.

What concerned me is that both have nearly the same tread depth yet the PS2 ZP has a 200TW and the MPSS has a 300TW. Doesn't that mean the MPSS has a harder compound?

So I asked Michelin which tire will perform better and they said the MPSS BECAUSE it has a different and better tread pattern that provides lateral grip for track use.

Any comments ??????????

DH
Old 11-24-2015, 10:32 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The ps2 is the older compound tire compared to the super sport. A couple years ago Michelin introduced the Super sport as the replacement to the PS2. It was designed to get better performance while improving tread life. Because the manufacturer would end up with stocks of unsold older tires and because tooling up costs money, the ps2 continued to be sold while the super sport line has gradually been taking over.

A similar thing can be seen with the pilot sport cups - those were sub 100 treadwear trackday tires. Now the most current track oriented tire from michelin is the pilot sport cup 2 which had a lot of changes in compound to achieve even more grip and a 180 treadwear.

Last edited by el es tu; 11-24-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:12 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by el es tu
The ps2 is the older compound tire compared to the super sport. A couple years ago Michelin introduced the Super sport as the replacement to the PS2. It was designed to get better performance while improving tread life. Because the manufacturer would end up with stocks of unsold older tires and because tooling up costs money, the ps2 continued to be sold while the super sport line has gradually been taking over.

A similar thing can be seen with the pilot sport cups - those were sub 100 treadwear trackday tires. Now the most current track oriented tire from michelin is the pilot sport cup 2 which had a lot of changes in compound to achieve even more grip and a 180 treadwear.

Okay, thanks for the explanation.

DH
Old 11-24-2015, 01:16 PM
jesup16
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Are you autocrossing for kicks or to be competitive?
Are you considering a certain class?

The RE-11 is a decent autocross tire for the OEM size. They aren't in the same category as RE71R or BFG RivalS for autocross.

Compound > Size in most cases. My guess is you want to stay on OEM or OEM sized wheels.

If you're willing to step the rear wheel diameter size down to 18", there's the option for BFG Rival S in 335/30/18. That's a much more competitive autocross street tire. However, if you're just going to autocross for fun, then you're looking at some great tires.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jesup16
Are you autocrossing for kicks or to be competitive?
Are you considering a certain class?

The RE-11 is a decent autocross tire for the OEM size. They aren't in the same category as RE71R or BFG RivalS for autocross.

Compound > Size in most cases. My guess is you want to stay on OEM or OEM sized wheels.

If you're willing to step the rear wheel diameter size down to 18", there's the option for BFG Rival S in 335/30/18. That's a much more competitive autocross street tire. However, if you're just going to autocross for fun, then you're looking at some great tires.
Thanks. Definitely for fun not competition. And yes, want to stay with OEM wheels and don't even want to get a second set for track tires.

Like I said I have experience with the MPSS in 285/345 sizes on road course. And just wanted to make sure they will out perform the PS2 ZP I currently have or any other stock street tire.

DH
Old 11-24-2015, 06:12 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Thanks. Definitely for fun not competition.

DH
Do people really do this. Let's get real. Step down to 18" and put on 315/30/18 front. 335/30/18 rear. BFG Rival S.

Steve
Old 11-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Do people really do this. Let's get real. Step down to 18" and put on 315/30/18 front. 335/30/18 rear. BFG Rival S.

Steve
If i do that then I will hurt every ones feelings by being too fast of an old man. Maybe one day but I don't want to have to change wheels out before events. I don't miss that ........

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Called Michelin Today!!

Quick Reply: Called Michelin Today!!