Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Brake rotors vs AP Racing J hooks

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Warren-RB
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rotor incident on CTS-V was a mis-retrofit of new (V2) disc to old (V10 hat. Nothing wrong with RB rotors.

Facts:

Version 1 (04-07) - Rotor was 355x32mm, caliper is 4 pot.
Version 2 (2009+, no production in 2008) - Rotor is 370x34mm, caliper is 6 pot.

Customers buying the complete rotor assembly for V1 and V2 never had any issue.

When V2 was released in 2009 it's a fairly popular upgrade for V1 owners.

This V1 customer had RB two piece, he seemed to be satisfied with its performance, so when he upgraded to V2 brake (6 pot caliper w/370x34 rotors), instead of buying a new rotor assembly, he re-used his old V1 hat and only purchased the replacement ring (370x34) which is supposed only for fitting V2 hat with correct offset.

Brake failure for his rotor assembly was destined to occur.

We have a thread (below) to further explain what the offset difference can mean and discourage a consumer from retrofitting his own brake with his own assumption.

http://forums.racingbrake.com/showthread.php?t=1482

RB two piece rotors were considered to the toughest in Camaro, Corvette and CTS-V community (except this retrofit incident which can be scary unless members read the story behind).

Knowing GTR was the fastest and heaviest track cars on earth, we took the challenge and put our brake to GTR track racers hand since 2011, and after 5 years no one single claim was reported.

We have since taken a more cautious measure, no RB rotor rings can be purchased unless previous RB rotor ownership is verified, except Brembo/Stoptech BBK replacement rings, but even so we could also run into issue for those customers who do not assemble our rotor rings to original Brembo/Stoptech hats, however most customers understand and work with us to resolve their issues but there is always an exception such as this one.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:05 AM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So how many pro race teams, any series, any level, use the AP rotors vs the RB rotors?

Who does the majority of the best drivers in the fastest cars in the toughest environment choose?
Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 AM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Factory driver Jan Magnussen youtubes of C6R clearly show the AP racing setup with J hook discs (10 seconds in):
Old 04-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Warren-RB
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I simply replied to JR's comment about his comment on the design feature of AP rotors vs RB rotors, although I wasn't sure if that's what AP really wants to engage into discussion.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590975855

It was anticipated that someone (especially from JR who initiated this comparison) can further question or extend the discussion on design feature after our 1st response (w/two more to post), so we stay on objective discussion in "DESIGN differences" and learn from it, than as if anyone was questioning how popular AP rotors were in professional racing teams, because it was not what the thread title was suggesting.

I although believe Corvette community is for weekend warriors, who spent their own money for the best value of their brakes, than those racing team drivers.

We can only speak for what our brakes are made for (aftermarket stock replacement) with the following facts:
  • RB offers the first aftermarket light weight two piece rotors for Z06 since 2006 (including other American muscle cars like Camaro, Mustang, Viper etc.)
  • RB two piece replacement rotors (including Z51) has the longest running history on Corvette community than any other competition.
  • RB makes more two piece replacement rotors (from Acura to VW) than all the competition combined.
  • RB and AP (represented by Stillen) co-exists in Nissan GTR community, as two top serious track racers' choice on brake rotors.

Last edited by Warren-RB; 04-05-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:46 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by BierGut
Who does the majority of the best drivers in the fastest cars in the toughest environment choose?
They choose whoever gives them the biggest sponsorship money.

if you think pro teams pay for their own brakes, think again. Racing at the highest level cost money. Lots of money. And suppliers and manufacturers know that. They leverage money and parts for the opportunity to be on a winning team with a televised series.

Of course, IF you want to win you wouldn’t run garbage parts, but being on a professional team’s car just guarantees one thing...that your stuff is GOOD. Doesn’t automatically mean your stuff is better than competition.

it also means you probably have a legitimate marketing and sponsorship budget, for sure.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:51 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Do not run RB!! for track use. It is just a name and will not hold up on the track.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Interesting thread, RB has F & R 2-piece rotors for my C6Z's stock calipers which I like. What other RB issues are there that people do not like? I want more than they are junk lol.

AP discontinued C6 calipers, owell.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:38 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default DBA 4000 rotors

Check out KNS and their sale on DBA4000 rotors and XP650 pads.

https://www.knsbrakes.com/c/home

Originally Posted by ap6954
Looking at buying either of the above as upgraded rotors for my C7 Z51. The AP J hooks are significantly more cost than the RB rotors. I looked for comparisons and did not see much. Any feedback on them from forum users who may have tried both? Car is used for HPDE type events and the stock rotors are not disipating enough heat causing fade and fast pad wear. I am about a 8/10's driver.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:42 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
Interesting thread, RB has F & R 2-piece rotors for my C6Z's stock calipers which I like. What other RB issues are there that people do not like? I want more than they are junk lol.

AP discontinued C6 calipers, owell.
I'm not sure what you mean by AP discontinued C6 calipers. We have a whole range of complete brake kits for the C6 featuring AP Racing calipers:

https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl.../Grand%20Sport

Let us know what we you're doing with your car, and we'll do our best to guide you towards the product that is the best fit for your needs.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:26 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
I'm not sure what you mean by AP discontinued C6 calipers. We have a whole range of complete brake kits for the C6 featuring AP Racing calipers:

https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl.../Grand%20Sport

Let us know what we you're doing with your car, and we'll do our best to guide you towards the product that is the best fit for your needs.
Awesome! I was talking about the kit that was discontinued. The Radi-cal 372mm kit would be perfect but outside of my price range. I would like to stay stock rotor size or bigger. I will probably hold out for a while as I really like the Radi-cal kit.
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 04:33 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Innovate
Awesome! I was talking about the kit that was discontinued. The Radi-cal 372mm kit would be perfect but outside of my price range. I would like to stay stock rotor size or bigger. I will probably hold out for a while as I really like the Radi-cal kit.
Ah, got it! Sorry about that. I can assure you that the Radi-CAL kit will be worth the wait. The 372mm front kit is bad@ss, and once you have them you'll never want for brakes again!
Old 05-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Innovate
Drifting

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Ah, got it! Sorry about that. I can assure you that the Radi-CAL kit will be worth the wait. The 372mm front kit is bad@ss, and once you have them you'll never want for brakes again!
It is all good, do you guys have j-hook 2-piece rotors for stock calipers on all four corners? I already have new rotors and I have not seen any aftermarket 2-piece rotors for the front and rear, they are all fronts.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:33 AM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK

They choose whoever gives them the biggest sponsorship money.

if you think pro teams pay for their own brakes, think again. Racing at the highest level cost money. Lots of money. And suppliers and manufacturers know that. They leverage money and parts for the opportunity to be on a winning team with a televised series.

Of course, IF you want to win you wouldn’t run garbage parts, but being on a professional team’s car just guarantees one thing...that your stuff is GOOD. Doesn’t automatically mean your stuff is better than competition.

it also means you probably have a legitimate marketing and sponsorship budget, for sure.
Sorry but in general this is a correct statement. However, AP Racing is NOT a sponsor of any team. ALL teams running AP Racing kits BUY them. When was the last time you saw an AP Racing sponsor logo on a race car. You don't,... that's because they don't sponsor. This is a fact I recently read on the AP Racing website.

Having said that I have run Both RB and AP rotors on track at Sebring. The RB were on a BMW and a smaller yet heavier rotor than the AP ones I run on my C5Z. The RB groove heavily and would squeal and not brake as well despite using nearly identical pads from PFC. The J hooks just work. In this case I decided to splurge. The RB were okay but not in the same class as the AP for sure.

My 0.02

Quick Reply: Racing Brake rotors vs AP Racing J hooks