Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base C7 w/ Z51 sway bars vs Base Porsche 911, Base Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:02 AM
mungodrums
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Base C7 w/ Z51 sway bars vs Base Porsche 911, Base Cayman?

I have a 2015 Base C7 Stingray A8 with some Z51 front and back sway bars installed just recently. I added Hawk street / track brake pads, better brake fluid. I actually took this car to a few hpde days and found my car to be very competitive with a couple of base non S Porsche 911 of same year. Faster than 2014 M3 around track and also a base Cayman 2013. I like how my car feels, handles great, great steering feel, etc. Car is mostly street driven with 1-3x hpde days a year. I am wondering if I should get the z51 shocks. I kind of like the compliant / handling that I have now, don't want it to be uncomfortable? Opinions? Ger.

Last edited by mungodrums; 11-25-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:49 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Sounds like you're pretty happy with what you have now. I can't speak towards how much firmer the Z51 shocks are, though since they are an OE option I can't imagine them being uncomfortable if you like a more firm ride.

I doubt at this point you'd see any significant difference in lap times just from the shocks. I know with my first several hpde events I dropped several seconds per lap at each event with no changes to the car, just from getting better as a driver. I'm sure you'll experience the same if you're just starting out. So do you "need" new shocks, definitely not. But if it's something you want to do, and are ok with ride quality change on the street, then you have my blessing to spend your money however you like.

One other thought to consider, especially since you are starting with a very capable car as-is and not replacing out-dated or worn-out parts, before you spend too much $$ changing the car, you might wait until you've done more events to see just how serious you plan to get with track days. You might decide to go all-in with a serious track setup (or a separate dedicated track car) and smaller upgrades done now might be a waste.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:21 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

1-3x a year? Save your shock money & do 6+ events a year.

btw different tires will make a lot more difference than shocks.

Last edited by froggy47; 11-25-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:57 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Shocks may be the last thing you need. Shocks are calibrated to the spring package. They are the final step in the suspension package. You actually think you can do better than the GM engineering team?

Here's my most recent article on shocks.

Tires will give you a huge improvement.

Even better is to run more events. More track time may be what you need.

btw - Track days are not racing. No one wins at a track day. Just go out and hav fun.

Richard Newton
Old 11-29-2015, 09:01 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Seat time will make you faster.

Speaking of seats, a good seat and belts is the best money you can spend on any car that is tracked.

Get notified of new replies

To Base C7 w/ Z51 sway bars vs Base Porsche 911, Base Cayman?

Quick Reply: Base C7 w/ Z51 sway bars vs Base Porsche 911, Base Cayman?