Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound limits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

Default Sound limits?

C6Z...
Thinking of doing some NCRC Laguna dates in 2016... but they're all 90 db.
Has anyone gotten down to that? And how?!
Right now I have catted headers and stock mufflers. I wrapped the headers to try and damp out the ringing, and was thinking about turndowns and wiring the exhaust control for manual operation past the sound station.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited by Nowanker; 12-04-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:51 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Just need to game the stations. I've seen metal clamp on diverters, but I wonder if you could just get away with some silicone bends instead?
Old 12-05-2015, 09:14 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have ran with burns stainless 6.5 inch mufflers with turn downs at Laguna no problem. Nice muffler but they drone some at low rpms.
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (12-05-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by smellya
I have ran with burns stainless 6.5 inch mufflers with turn downs at Laguna no problem. Nice muffler but they drone some at low rpms.
Thanks for the info! Laguna just dropped the sound from 92 to 90... were you able to make the 90 with the Burns system?
NCRC has a bunch of modestly priced dates coming up, but I'd hate to sign up and get thrown out after 3 laps!
Old 12-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default this worked for me

Originally Posted by Nowanker
C6Z...
Thinking of doing some NCRC Laguna dates in 2016... but they're all 90 db.
Has anyone gotten down to that? And how?!
Right now I have catted headers and stock mufflers. I wrapped the headers to try and damp out the ringing, and was thinking about turndowns and wiring the exhaust control for manual operation past the sound station.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks!
A few years ago I took my'08 down there and got a 98 db reading between corners 5 & 6. The limit then was 92 dbs. After receiving what was called a "meat-ball" flag, I pitted to intall the two pairs of 45 turn-downs that I had fortunately brought with me. During the install a Lugan Seca employee walked over & we discovered he was an old friend of the guy that was riding with me that day. I was going to point these turn-downs to the ground @ 7:00 and bounce them into the air. But the employee said he had found the best direction was to point these to 10:00. From that point on I did not let up on the gas and was allowed to continue. Knowing that the db readings depend on a lot of variables, such as wind direction, wind velocity, dew point..... my solution worked for me but may not have all the time; especially now that 90 db has begun. This just makes me gun shy of going to this track.
By the way, my LS3 had a cold air intake, Z06 exhaust manifold,
Z06 cats, Z06 H pipe and C6 NPP exhaust tips. This combination is louder than a conventional C6.
Hope this helps. Good luck
Nowanker (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 03:07 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Have not drove there in about 10 years but the sound check station was in a yellow shack between turns 5&6.It was on the rh side.The guys with mazda rotorys would hang a 90 degree bend and another muffler pointing left away from the shack.They might be running around with a hand held meter now.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Interesting thought about pointing the turn downs at 10:00. Never occurred to me, but might make sense to have it dissipate into the air, pointed away from the sound booth, rather than echoing off the pavement.
Been a couple of years since I was there, and far as I know the sound station is still in the same place... but on occasion they have had a hand held guy sneaking around.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:03 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Thanks for the info! Laguna just dropped the sound from 92 to 90... were you able to make the 90 with the Burns system?
NCRC has a bunch of modestly priced dates coming up, but I'd hate to sign up and get thrown out after 3 laps!
I have ran with ncrc a good bit. I measured werks c6z at thunder hill with the 4cinch mufflers and no turn downs at the start finish line. It measured 88db. I will be out at Laguna after the rainy season is over. Mine will be the lmb z06 #180.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:06 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

In stock form, my 07z measured 92.2 at Laguna......of course, they meatballed me during that 92db day. I spent the rest of the day short shifting.

When the 90db days rolled around, I knew I had to do something more drastic. I ended up using the flap system in my stock bi-mode exhaust system by installing a switch that routes either the normal computer control output or a custom output to the exhaust solenoids. The custom output is a second switch on the stock shift handle (from LG) that outputs either 12v or 0v, essentially forcing the flaps shut or open. This allows me to switch to quiet mode when downshifting for T5 (approaching sound station). When past the sound station, I switch back to open (loud) mode, and I can feel the little extra kick when the exhaust opens up on that uphill section between T5 and T8. With the switch in the shift ****, I can use my thumb to control the flaps without hunting for a switch and/or taking my eyes from the track.

So far it has worked for four 90db days in varying conditions.
Nowanker (12-16-2015)
Old 12-16-2015, 09:53 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by smellya
I have ran with ncrc a good bit. I measured werks c6z at thunder hill with the 4cinch mufflers and no turn downs at the start finish line. It measured 88db. I will be out at Laguna after the rainy season is over. Mine will be the lmb z06 #180.
Thanks!
I'll see you out there. We actually met down at Buttonwillow about a year ago, I had (still have...) a blue C5. Moved up to a C6Z, looking forward to some track time.
Steve
Old 12-16-2015, 09:57 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by harrydirty
In stock form, my 07z measured 92.2 at Laguna......of course, they meatballed me during that 92db day. I spent the rest of the day short shifting.

When the 90db days rolled around, I knew I had to do something more drastic. I ended up using the flap system in my stock bi-mode exhaust system by installing a switch that routes either the normal computer control output or a custom output to the exhaust solenoids. The custom output is a second switch on the stock shift handle (from LG) that outputs either 12v or 0v, essentially forcing the flaps shut or open. This allows me to switch to quiet mode when downshifting for T5 (approaching sound station). When past the sound station, I switch back to open (loud) mode, and I can feel the little extra kick when the exhaust opens up on that uphill section between T5 and T8. With the switch in the shift ****, I can use my thumb to control the flaps without hunting for a switch and/or taking my eyes from the track.

Ahah!
That's the info I was looking for! I was planning to try that approach, but wasn't sure if it'd do the trick. I might bring some turndowns with me just in case...
Old 12-16-2015, 11:39 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty

Any chance for a write up on exactly how this was done?
Old 12-16-2015, 01:02 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by moose.b3
Any chance for a write up on exactly how this was done?
I published a detailed writeup on 12/28/2012 under the title "Homebrew Exhaust Control (long)", but here it is again............

At my last Laguna track day, it turned out to be a 90db (!) day. Turns out the locals are winning the noise battle and it appears many Laguna days from here on will be 90db ones. I flunked during my last session (92.2db) in my stock C6Z, so I decided I needed a bolt-on exhaust diverter like so many others do. However, I did not want to damage my exhaust tips, but the more I looked into it, the more it seemed difficult and expensive, and jerry rigged at best.

So I decided to use the stock exhaust valve system in my z (I'm assuming that it will be quiet enough with the valves closed). I had some mini spdt toggle switches around and plenty of wire and had previously purchased an add-a-circuit and an LG exhaust valve harness with the switch in the shift ****. The idea was to cut the 12v feed to the exhaust solenoid and use the spdt toggle to switch the solenoid to connect to either the exhaust control module (stock config) or to 12v (controlled by the shift **** switch). This way I could close the exhaust valves when passing the sound shack at T5 exit and leave them open during the rest of the lap.

I also decided while I was wiring things up to install another toggle switch to control my AMB transponder.

I took my time, and it got it done in three days (a few hours each day) despite a few surprises. The exhaust control module was not where I thought it was. Some previous posts indicated it was behind the passenger side rear side carpet, but it was in the battery compartment. Also, I assumed that once I removed the tombstone there would be plenty of room to run wires and connectors, but there is a big piece of foam that surrounds the cup holder and part of the shift area. I had to pull out the center console to get enough room to run the shift **** connector to the tombstone cavity. Also, I decided not to use the usual exhaust module fuse location for 12v since I did not want to worry about the constant power with ignition off. The seat heater did not work because the add-a-circuit would not fit right side up (more on that later). I was surprised that most of the 10A fuse locations are powered with ignition off. I finally decided to use the cruise control fuse location; it is a 2A location, but assumed that all the wires are the same size to the fuse panel so there should be no issues with the small additional load of the solenoid.

I ran the wires from the exhaust controller in the back along the passenger side rear speaker, down the back carpet and along the central console to the tombstone cavity. The wires from the fuse panel I ran under the "hockey puck" trim piece, under the cup holder cover, and into the tombstone cavity.

It turned out the trickiest wire run was running a ground wire from the engine compartment to the console. I could not find a suitable entry point so I ran the wire along the bottom windshield trim, under the A pillar, under the door forward opening trim, then under the passenger kick panel into car. After that it followed the 12V run from the fuse panel.

I soldered all connections and used shrink tubing for protection. For the exhaust control module harness mods I used crimp connectors so that the harness could be easily returned to stock. After soldering the switches up I fired it up and everything worked. I then put all the panels back on and cleaned up......can't wait to try it on the track!

BTW, the earlier comment I made about the add-a-circuit being right side up or upside down.............when I checked out the fuse panel, all the circuit locations had the right fuse terminal being hot. This meant that if the add-a-circuit was installed right side up (fuses up or the red lead on the left), then both fuses were protecting their respective circuits. However, if the add-a-fuse was installed upside down (red lead to the right), then the "new" circuit is now dependent on the original fuse. Not a big deal, especially if both fuses are the same size, but I just wanted both to be independent so I went with a different location.
moose.b3 (12-17-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Sound limits?

Quick Reply: Sound limits?