Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to use for chasiss setup surface?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 04:56 AM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what to use for chasiss setup surface?

The recent shop threads have re-kindled an interest in having my own as well and wanting to do it 'right first time'. So while still in planning phase, I'm interested to learn what you are using for a set up surface with regard to both corner weighting and ride height/chassis dimensioning. Did you have a special pad poured in the shop or make your table own out of steel sheets like the pros do? Please share your methods or ideas and the limitations of each if known.

My current floor is 27 yr. old sloped residential garage with cracks and a less than flat surface so have found the alignment measurements can vary a bit just by how the car is parked. Also, I am headed towards a 2-post lift so the 4-post drive on kind is not my first choice.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

I lucked out at my present shop... the floor underneath my lift is flat and level. Before that we used shims (linoleum tiles) under the scale pads to establish level. People use drive-on set up platforms (Longacre, etc), and I've seen pour-in-place epoxy level pads mentioned too, but hopefully your concrete guy can just pour you a level area?
2 post lift for sure... on a 4 post any time you need to work on the car the ramps are in the way!
Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM
steve J06
Racer

[QUOTE=Nowanker;1591067522] I've seen pour-in-place epoxy level pads mentioned too, but hopefully your concrete guy can just pour you a level area?[QUOTE]

I wondered if something like this was an option. Similar to when using thinset to level a bathroom slab floor prior to tile?
Old 12-08-2015, 02:25 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

i found out the angle that my floor was pitched. did some small trig and found i needed to raise my rear 3/4" to make it level. bought plywood, and the rest is history.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

How can I measure floor height ? "4 corners " I remember a fluid /grauduated cylinder set up from high school ...kinda
Is there an easier way ?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob31
How can I measure floor height ? "4 corners " I remember a fluid /grauduated cylinder set up from high school ...kinda
Is there an easier way ?
Laser level? never used one... seems like kind of a cool thing though! I just used a long level across the pads, shim accordingly.
Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob31
Is there an easier way ?
I use a bucket of water and ruler with clearing tubing taped to it. The water in tubing keeps same level as bucket so you can measure height differences.

Get notified of new replies

To what to use for chasiss setup surface?

Quick Reply: what to use for chasiss setup surface?