Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To Tuesday: Build a Budget Track Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 01:39 PM
NVaughn
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How-To Tuesday: Build a Budget Track Corvette

This week's How-To Tuesday article will get you started, or at least moving down the right path, to taking your Corvette to the track.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 12-08-2015, 02:23 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

how to build a budget corvette... must not add power, must not add power must not add power...
Old 12-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

'budget' and 'track' only appear together when 'budget' is preceded by words like 'large' or 'big' (or 'unlimited'...)
Old 12-08-2015, 04:58 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
'budget' and 'track' only appear together when 'budget' is preceded by words like 'large' or 'big' (or 'unlimited'...)
Says you.

I don't make a ton of money, but I can afford to race and still live in a nice house with decent cars and a social life. I built this car and race it competitively in amateur endurance racing at various venues across the country. Total build cost around $15k and maintenance is very reasonable. Costs $9-10 per lap total to race it, including fuel, tires, tow fuel, entry costs, etc, with entry cost averaging about $2 per lap for most of our races. If you drop off a car and a blank check at a shop and tell them to build you a car, you'll most certainly pay a big chunk of money, but racing needn't be prohibitively expensive.

The following users liked this post:
autoxer6 (12-09-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 07:11 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Uhhh. Didn't realize anyone ever considered such a thing as 'cost per lap.' Mine must surely be something like $300 per lap based on what I've spent. This year.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

I run an M3 in NASA and BMWCCA... it's on the low side for consumables cost, and I do all my own work. I figure minimum $1K+/weekend ($1200?). Skiing is stupidly cheap in comparison.
Old 12-09-2015, 02:07 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

when i start a race weekend i plan on not spending "much" money... on Monday my bank account is empty
Old 12-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Apparently my definition of expensive differs from everyone else's. $700 for a local event, $1200 for a 600 mile one way pull (until gas goes back up) assuming I don't break anything and not counting consumables. The cost of the trailer, the support equipment, etc. Unless you've got money coming out your ***, it's an expensive hobby period.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:10 PM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$15K including the cost of the car? Or, $15K on top of the car cost?

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Says you.

I don't make a ton of money, but I can afford to race and still live in a nice house with decent cars and a social life. I built this car and race it competitively in amateur endurance racing at various venues across the country. Total build cost around $15k and maintenance is very reasonable. Costs $9-10 per lap total to race it, including fuel, tires, tow fuel, entry costs, etc, with entry cost averaging about $2 per lap for most of our races. If you drop off a car and a blank check at a shop and tell them to build you a car, you'll most certainly pay a big chunk of money, but racing needn't be prohibitively expensive.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:43 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Says you.

I raced against this car with my MR2. Running a detuned motor and
"street tires" makes this vette reliable. It increases the safety factor engineers design into the loaded parts. Torque through the drivetrain is less, and chassis loading is less with street tires, even though they are quite fast withing the last 2-3 years.

Chris Shay
Old 12-10-2015, 10:00 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Racing is not expensive. Winning is.

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images
Old 12-10-2015, 10:02 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

We're actually discussing 2 totally different things here. Track days and racing are totally different.

You do track days to have fun. You race because you're an Alpha male and have a need to prove it.

The budgets for these two activities are very different.

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images
Old 12-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by rfn026
Racing is not expensive. Winning is.

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images
Expensive being a relative term. Dropping a grand just to do any old track weekend strikes me as F'n expensive, but doing an entire season of Grand-Am/ALMS/Le mans to Seth Nieman is just a modest amount...
Old 12-18-2015, 08:03 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
You race because you're an Alpha male and have a need to prove it.

My wife tells me to "hit it with my purse".
Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

As the old saying goes:

"Know how to make a small fortune in racing?"

"Start out with a large fortune."
Old 12-18-2015, 09:01 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
As the old saying goes:

"Know how to make a small fortune in racing?"

"Start out with a large fortune."
Q: What 3 things are required to race?

A: Money, money, and money.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

'Grass Roots Motorsports' does an annual feature on low buck race cars, with the limit around $2k.
LeMons cars theoretically have a $500 limit. That's before the cage, brakes, tires, wheels, exhaust, seat, etc, etc, etc.
Both ignore the operating costs involved on a per event/per season basis. Big deal that the car only cost two grand... Amortize a real race car over 10 seasons and the car cost is insignificant compared to the operating budget.
Entry fees are a fixed cost, tow is a fixed cost, food and lodging too. Every other track expense is dictated by your choice of car.
If you add up budget+race car, the answer (sadly enough!) is not Corvette. sadder still... the answer is MIATA.

Get notified of new replies

To How-To Tuesday: Build a Budget Track Corvette

Quick Reply: How-To Tuesday: Build a Budget Track Corvette