Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a containment seat to fit a small cabin

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:21 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default Looking for a containment seat to fit a small cabin

Just as the title states, I am looking at doing some safety modifications to my car in the offseason, the first being a containment seat if I can find one that fits. I am working with an uncommon platform being a 71 Corvette so I don't expect you to have direct experience in what fits. I can tell you what I am currently using and see if there is anything even remotely close. I am not opposed to spending some money and have been looking at Racetech, Kirkey and Sparco this morning trying to compare dimensions but haven't found anything that looks promising. I would rather not spend $3-4k+ on a single seat and am trying to keep the budget in the $1-2k range. I'll probably need to add a steering wheel quick connect so I can get in and out of the car as it is not fun as it sits.

The car currently has Corbeau A4s with the shaved base option which best I can tell drops 1" from the bottom of the seat. These are a snug fit in the car already so I am not sure I'll be able to find a better seat but am open to suggestions. The good that comes from accidents like the Mustang at RA earlier this year and the recent Buttonwillow incident is that it does make people like me think about my situation and what I can do to improve my odds. Honestly, I am debating if I should drop this platform altogether and update to a C6 or C7 (wife already gave the go-ahead, I just don't really want to sell the C3 and have another hobby car on top of the 71.) I took the car out and turned a 1:40.4 at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago without having brakes I could heavily rely on so I fully expect a 1:3x before long. While I updated to Schroth belts and already have a Hans Sport 3, I don't want to end up in a thread online about safety gear at HPDEs... The car has a harness bar from Vetteworks but that is about as far as I am willing to take the interior modifications. I would buy a C5 before I cage this one.

Here are a couple (poor) photos of the Corbeaus in the car. As you can see in the 2nd photo, not much room between the shoulder wings to the door

These are, supposedly, the A4 dimension which does not take into account the shave base in my car.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-2015, 01:17 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

The OMP HTE-R-400 looks like a possibility. The base is showing around 20" to the Corbeau claimed 18.5 but the shoulder area is where I have the most concern and the OMP seat measures 22.04 to the Corbeau 21.5.

http://www.ogracing.com/omp-hte-r-400-racing-seat
Old 12-10-2015, 07:17 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
The OMP HTE-R-400 looks like a possibility. The base is showing around 20" to the Corbeau claimed 18.5 but the shoulder area is where I have the most concern and the OMP seat measures 22.04 to the Corbeau 21.5.

http://www.ogracing.com/omp-hte-r-400-racing-seat
Eric, I have that seat in my car. It comes out fairly easy if you wanted to do a drop into yours and see if it may work. I went and measured and the shoulder width and it is more like 22.375 with the cloth/padding.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:21 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
Eric, I have that seat in my car. It comes out fairly easy if you wanted to do a drop into yours and see if it may work. I went and measured and the shoulder width and it is more like 22.375 with the cloth/padding.
Thanks! I may take you up on that offer, seriously! I am headed up to AMP this weekend and Discovery Parts has the seat in stock so I want to sit in it and make sure I am comfortable. I know I'll have to do some custom brackets to get it to work. I thought about dropping the car off at MTI and letting them sort it out once I find a seat that might actually work.

I'll have to measure the A4s and see how the actual measurement compares to yours. That bit of a difference could be huge with my limited space at the door panel.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:31 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks! I may take you up on that offer, seriously! I am headed up to AMP this weekend and Discovery Parts has the seat in stock so I want to sit in it and make sure I am comfortable. I know I'll have to do some custom brackets to get it to work. I thought about dropping the car off at MTI and letting them sort it out once I find a seat that might actually work.

I'll have to measure the A4s and see how the actual measurement compares to yours. That bit of a difference could be huge with my limited space at the door panel.
I'll be there on Sunday...Silver C5Z, Tim Traylor
Old 12-10-2015, 10:36 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
I'll be there on Sunday...Silver C5Z, Tim Traylor
See ya there
Old 12-12-2015, 10:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Some of that depends on how large you are across the shoulders and the hips. The aluminum seats are spec'd based on the measurement across your hips when sitting on a bench. I initially installed 17 inch Ultrashields in my C5 and C6 due to a large butt and also the need to accommodate to riders of wildly varying sizes. The Ultrashields are a little loose across my shoulders. I have never done anything to tighten them up but they can be bent inward. With the Kirkey or Ultrashield you may be able to fit them in the car easier since they are somewhat customizable by bending parts of them. For instance the hip and leg outer bolsters are curled downward and outward a little to ease getting into and out of the car. You also gain some room since the seat shell and skin are only a fraction of an inch thick compared to the thickness of a fully upholstered street style seat.

Bill
Old 12-12-2015, 10:44 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Thanks Bill! I did look at the Ultrashields but their shoulder wing dimensions had me pretty convinced that they would not fit. What I found showed 23.5" which I think would interfere with door panel and the door's ability to close if my seats are actually 21.5" across. I plan to sit in the OMPs tomorrow and will get some better measurements of the actual shoulder wings on my A4s.

Last edited by fleming23; 12-12-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:59 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

You can try my seat out and see if it fits as well. I have the Racetech 4119. I can help you out with the brackets and mounting as well. I was at RA riding with Pat last time you were there.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:33 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

I sat in the OMPs and while snug, which is actually ideal, they do fit my hips and shoulders. Now, just need to see if they fit the car. Today was the last track day for a couple months so I'll pull the Corbeaus at some point soon and see if these look like they can be made to work.

Tim, I'll get with you about a test fit and Benny, I'll definitely see what you think about brackets. Pat mentioned you were making a set for him so he can update his seat/harness situation.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:52 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

all i can say is good luck. I don't think the OMP's are going to fit into a C3. heck my arms don't fit into a c3. hahah. the only seats i've seen fit into stingrays where kirkey- economy/drag and corbau clubmen seats. if the OMP's do fit let me know because i'll order a set for my dad's C3.

if you do buy the seats from OG tape up the bolt holes and make sure you don't scratch it. if there is no damage, and the seat doesn't fit, i can take the seat back for a full refund.

Last edited by johnny c; 12-14-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:32 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
all i can say is good luck. I don't think the OMP's are going to fit into a C3. heck my arms don't fit into a c3. hahah. the only seats i've seen fit into stingrays where kirkey- economy/drag and corbau clubmen seats. if the OMP's do fit let me know because i'll order a set for my dad's C3.

if you do buy the seats from OG tape up the bolt holes and make sure you don't scratch it. if there is no damage, and the seat doesn't fit, i can take the seat back for a full refund.
Thanks Johnny! It will definitely be tight, but where there is a will, there is a way - and for everything else there is a sawzall.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:37 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Thanks Johnny! It will definitely be tight, but where there is a will, there is a way - and for everything else there is a sawzall.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

RaceTech seats are top-notch - running one in my GTA car. Really nice folks too, full disclaimer: they plied me (and other customers) with cigars/whiskey this past week at PRI.

Last edited by Captain Buddha; 12-14-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
RaceTech seats are top-notch - running one in my GTA car. Really nice folks too, full disclaimer: they plied me (and other customers) with cigars/whiskey this past week at PRI.
brian had his wallet out and i missed it?

Last edited by johnny c; 12-15-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:03 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

LOL - actually, David did. You missed out! Great folks!

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a containment seat to fit a small cabin

Quick Reply: Looking for a containment seat to fit a small cabin