Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 SSP Corvette Setup Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 03:15 PM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 SSP Corvette Setup Questions

Looking to get some advice on setting up my C6 Corvette for SSP to make it a bit more competitive.

Current Mod List:

Suspension
Koni Yellow Shocks
Energy Suspension Control Arm Bushings
Strano Performance Front Sway Bar
Hotchkiss Rear Sway Bar
Whiteline Adjustable Endlinks
Hyperco HPT Front Spring

Brakes
DBA 5000 Front Rotors
EBC Yellow Stuff Pads
Goodridge SS Brake Lines

Power
Vararam SC1-R Ram Air Intake
Vararam TB Spacer
Diablo InTune w/ Custom Tune
PFADT Catless Longtube Headers
Norris Motorsports Catch Can

Interior
Corbeau Forza Sport FIA Racing Buckets
CG Lock
MGW Short Shifter + ****
CCA Track/Autocross Pedals

Exterior
C6 ZR1 Front Splitter
C6 ZR1 Spoiler
C6 ZR1 Side Skirts

This year I'm also hoping to add:

18x11F & 18x12R Wheels
315/30/18F & 335/30/18R Hoosier A7's
Lambert Quantum Brake Cooling Kit (I keep cooking the brakes, I really hate the EBC Yellow Stuff pads

My question is what else am I missing? Are there any more mods with a high "bang for the buck"? I know I could switch poly bushings out for derlin bushings, overbore the motor, run Penske shocks instead of Koni's etc. all in the name of chasing hundredths of a second but I'm not at that level (nor do I have that kind of cash).

PS: I know I can't run a wing in Street Prepared but I'm thinking of a proper rear splitter such as this, who makes these? Is it a worthwhile modification or should I stay away from any thoughts of aero?

PSS: Any links to a build thread or setup list for some of the faster street prepared corvettes?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:50 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

You can't see in that picture, but on the bottom back corner of the door... that says stranoparts.com. Have driven that car, a lot actually. Can't say it was ever just the way I wanted it mostly because I wasn't racing it and two guys that were (and the 3rd that owns it and ran it last year alone) all kind of have diverging opinions on things and setup by committee isn't always good.

If you have brake issues there is something up. I have Yellowstuff on my Z06 and Shelly's Z06. I not only have never had a problem on my car, but ran here car 8 sessions @ Laguna Seca on Hoosier's and had no issue (and had brakes left to spare and the same set is on the car today). That's with no ducts and the stupid RF backward vaned rotor from GM.

A better tune for one, lighter clutch and flywheel (I have options there). A better limited slip (Probably a Giken, which I also carry). Delrin bushings.... And notice that's all long before the shocks, because the shocks aren't the problem and they work really well and in fact I've had higher dollar shocks and put my Koni's back on.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I dont think the sideskirts are legal in SSP because they add so much performance to a car below 60mph...
Old 12-20-2015, 09:10 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

C6 ZR1 body pieces, including the side skirts, spoiler, and splitter, should be okay for SSP since all C6 variants are listed on the same line in the rule book. Thus you can mix and match.

Last edited by acrace; 12-20-2015 at 09:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
383 (12-20-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:37 AM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You can't see in that picture, but on the bottom back corner of the door... that says stranoparts.com. Have driven that car, a lot actually. Can't say it was ever just the way I wanted it mostly because I wasn't racing it and two guys that were (and the 3rd that owns it and ran it last year alone) all kind of have diverging opinions on things and setup by committee isn't always good.

If you have brake issues there is something up. I have Yellowstuff on my Z06 and Shelly's Z06. I not only have never had a problem on my car, but ran here car 8 sessions @ Laguna Seca on Hoosier's and had no issue (and had brakes left to spare and the same set is on the car today). That's with no ducts and the stupid RF backward vaned rotor from GM.

A better tune for one, lighter clutch and flywheel (I have options there). A better limited slip (Probably a Giken, which I also carry). Delrin bushings.... And notice that's all long before the shocks, because the shocks aren't the problem and they work really well and in fact I've had higher dollar shocks and put my Koni's back on.
Never had any problems with the factory pads, made the switch to the Yellow Stuff pads and have had nothing but overheating problems. On some of the Test n' Tune days and/or SoloPro schools I'd do a few passes around and the autocross course back to back and the brake fade was horrible.

What's wrong with the tune? What would you recommend I change?

Clutch/flywheel I plan to upgrade once the factory one starts to slip.

Originally Posted by acrace
C6 ZR1 body pieces, including the side skirts, spoiler, and splitter, should be okay for SSP since all C6 variants are listed on the same line in the rule book. Thus you can mix and match.
Yup, they came standard on the Z06 w/ Z07 pkg. also so I don't see why they wouldn't be allowed.

Last edited by 94boosted; 12-21-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:06 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Are you sure it's fade? What is it actually doing? Again, can run Laguna Seca on Hoosier's all day on a set. And I've never faded them with two or three drivers at a ProSolo where we make 4 back to back runs for each driver.

What's wrong with the tune? I know nothing about it but if it's not a dyno tune it's leaving some stuff on the table. I know nothing about yours. Could be great. I dunno.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:45 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Are you sure it's fade? What is it actually doing? Again, can run Laguna Seca on Hoosier's all day on a set. And I've never faded them with two or three drivers at a ProSolo where we make 4 back to back runs for each driver.

What's wrong with the tune? I know nothing about it but if it's not a dyno tune it's leaving some stuff on the table. I know nothing about yours. Could be great. I dunno.
It's definitely fade, pedal get's quite soft and the braking power is reduced. Drive around in the pits without using brakes for a few minutes and/or leave the car for 10 minutes and the pedal firms up again. And it's not the fluid as I often flush with a good quality DOT4 fluid. And it wasn't even a hot day (~70°F)

It' not a dyno tune but a road tune (tune, drive, datalog, tweak tune & repeat).

Last edited by 94boosted; 12-21-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:47 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

A soft pedal is fluid fade. Pad fade the pedal stays high and just no power. DOT4 doesn't mean the fluid is good for high temps.... Might be, might not be. Sounds like "not" in this case.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:22 PM
94boosted
Racer

Good point Sam but the brake fluid I use has always been the same and never had any brake fade problems until I put in the EBC Yellow Stuff pads. So now I'm thinking of either going back to a factory pad or a Hawk HP+ or adding the quantum brake cooling kit.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:56 PM
370camaro95
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fwiw, I had brake fade going into turn 4 at mid ohio on my c5z, turned out to be a cracked rotor causing pad knock-back. Wheel bearings tight?

Last edited by 370camaro95; 12-22-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:23 PM
94boosted
Racer

Originally Posted by 370camaro95
fwiw, I had brake fade going into turn 4 at mid ohio on my c5z, turned out to be a cracked rotor causing pad knock-back. Wheel bearings tight?
The heat caused the factory rotors to crack so I upgraded to some DBA 5000 rotors thinking that would help but I continue to have the same issue. No play that I can tell in the wheel bearings (car only has 19K miles).
Old 12-22-2015, 03:24 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

I think we are going in circles here. You have some other issue, not the pads unless you really really didn't get the pads bedded in correctly. How on earth do I not have any issue with them autocrossing the hell out of them, and running @ Laguna Seca (not exactly easy on brakes) but you fade them autocrossing?

Something else is wrong, that's what I'm trying to tell you.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 SSP Corvette Setup Questions

Quick Reply: C6 SSP Corvette Setup Questions