Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 ZO6: best track car?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
So True. Also nobody can even define all out driving (or 10/10ths) until they have run in a spec class with 60+ other cars on the track with approximately the same design, power and weight. The old Spec Mazda, followed by Spec Miata and whatever is next is how to define and experience total effort however you want it defined. Unfortunately the Corvette hasn't had a series where the non sponsored amateur can experience that in many many years.
I don't agree. Racing with 60 other cars means that often you have to wait, bide your time, often go offline, late brake and miss an apex, sometimes block etc. Otherwise everyone would all be on the same line in a train which means you are only as fast as the lead car. Certainly exciting and lots of skill involved but as Jackie Stewart has been quoted as saying (I paraphrase I am sure), you qualify at 10/10ths and race at 9/10ths. True 10/10ths is qualifying (or in some cases Time-Attack)
It is the rare professional racer, at least at high levels, who's race time matches their qualifying time.

Last edited by Soloontario; 01-06-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:34 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
I don't agree. Racing with 60 other cars means that often you have to wait, bide your time, often go offline, late brake and miss an apex, sometimes block etc. Otherwise everyone would all be on the same line in a train which means you are only as fast as the lead car. Certainly exciting and lots of skill involved but as Jackie Stewart has been quoted as saying (I paraphrase I am sure), you qualify at 10/10ths and race at 9/10ths. True 10/10ths is qualifying (or in some cases Time-Attack)
It is the rare professional racer, at least at high levels, who's race time matches their qualifying time.
I was thinking the same thing. TT's can see track records fall quite often. One only needs to hold back enough to let the car/cars in front get enough gap to roll full speed for the first two laps.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

That's what is neat about the sport. Some would prefer to run 1:43 on an open track and some would prefer slicing and dicing around the same track in a flock of 6-8 cars only inches apart running 1:44-1:45s. Been there and done both and I clearly have my preference. Both are adrenaline rushes so whichever floats our boat works and in whichever car. I love the C5Z06 as a track car but never could afford to race it (in a crowded w2w class) so ran in a spec class and enjoyed that in one of the different ways we are discussing.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

That's what is neat about the sport. Some would prefer to run 1:43 on an open track and some would prefer slicing and dicing around the same track in a flock of 6-8 cars only inches apart running 1:44-1:45s. Been there and done both and I clearly have my preference. Both are adrenaline rushes so whichever floats our boat works and in whichever car. I love the C5Z06 as a track car but never could afford to race it (in a crowded w2w class) so ran in a spec class and enjoyed that in one of the different ways we are discussing.
The OP was commenting on the C5Z as a track car, not as a race car.

Certainly there is a real thrill driving in a mid pack position in a Spec class and the skills required are really significant but my C5z is a lot faster on most tracks than just a couple of seconds over a Spec Miata.

Obviously due to the risk/occurrence of contact in a spec class, the C5Z does not make a good RACE car due to the cost of damage repair but it does make a great TRACK car.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:48 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Here is a guy racing in his mid 80's Jeep Cherokee at LS.
http://bangshift.com/bangshiftapex/w...t-laguna-seca/
Old 11-29-2016, 10:26 PM
billylaotian
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old thread but I'll bring it back to the OP's point.

I've been a Porsche guy for as long as I remember and am lucky to own a couple of rapidly appreciating ones. I started looking for a track car last year and decided that the C5 Z06 was hard to beat. I picked up a 2003 a few weeks ago and look forward to flogging it around the track for years to come.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:08 AM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by billylaotian

I've been a Porsche guy for as long as I remember and am lucky to own a couple of rapidly appreciating ones. I started looking for a track car last year and decided that the C5 Z06 was hard to beat. I picked up a 2003 a few weeks ago and look forward to flogging it around the track for years to come.

I ended buying the exact same year and color Z06 you did strictly because I wanted a disposable track car. The more you track, the better the odds that something can go wrong. Not worth destroying the P cars on the track just to get in a lot of HPDE events.

Enjoy the new track car!!
Old 11-30-2016, 01:30 PM
Rexracer77
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm123
I buy my tires cheap (Federal RSR 595's) for $500 a set, so that helps a lot.
What sizes do you run? How do these hold up? I use other peoples old R888s and R6/7s.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:56 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! What a trio! Well done sir.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:18 AM
Primaris
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eeww, who buys an orange car!
Old 12-02-2016, 01:05 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Kind of a Porsche guy here too, I'm a PCA instructor and have been able to drive all of the above even the new GT3RS, even my own 911turbo is more of a Gt2 with 530 RWHP, coilovers and a cup car LSD but my favorite thing to drive on the track is my C5 Z06 ST1 car
Old 12-05-2016, 11:28 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedDriver
Now that base C6 prices are starting to fall, would the base C6 be just as good of a track car as the C5 platform, or better?
C6 is a radically inferior platform. The c5z design team was tuning with Heinricy and experts. The c6 team was a bunch of Malibu guys.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:34 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
C6 is a radically inferior platform. The c5z design team was tuning with Heinricy and experts. The c6 team was a bunch of Malibu guys.
I've been under both cars, the only real difference is the C6 has a little longer wheelbase. Most chassis parts off the two cars interchange, swaybars, springs, control arms etc. I think even the entire rear cradles swap.

So, I guess what you said was tongue in cheek?

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 12-06-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:13 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure of the exact number of times to the track, maybe 5 or 6? I have had a couple sessions that were an hour and a half long, point being I've ragged the Z pretty good and I'm starting to get some failures.
My steering rack is leaking so I'm sending a used rack to Turn One so they can rebuild it. I read that it can have a hard time keeping up with track duty .
Also, there is a body seal in the rear that is degrading and allowing water in my trunk. I'm wondering if body flex has caused that? I'm not sure the cost of repair yet but if the body shop has to take body panels apart it could be costly.

Other then that I haven't had any issues. The LS6 is definitely running strong and it's been a blast.

It wasn't the best car to start with.... way too much for a rookie. My first day I was passed by a Volvo S80.....lol. I was scared shi*less! In my defense it was wet out.....

Anyway, my buddy just got a C5Z. You just can't beat it for the money. It's been so fun!

Last edited by FruiTay; 12-06-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:52 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by theseal
I concur. My C5Z was the best handling car I have ever owned. The C6Z was demonstrably less capable from a handling perspective and I am just learning the C7Z.

The C5Z was so well balanced you actually had to throw it around and get a bit crazy to find its limits. It was a totally balanced and composed chassis. Put a nice NA motor in one or buy a used T1 car and you will have a fabulous HPDE car.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:10 PM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The C6Z was demonstrably less capable from a handling perspective

Quick Reply: C5 ZO6: best track car?!