Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tilton/Quarter Master Button clutches - What TOB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 10:23 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Tilton/Quarter Master Button clutches - What TOB?

Guys who are running 5.5" and similar button clutches - are you running a stock hydraulic TOB or did you have to upgrade to an aftermarket racing unit? I'm not sure how the depth works out vs a stock clutch. Thinking about upgrading but want to be sure that I have all the parts on-hand if I do so that the car isn't stuck tying up a hoist waiting for parts to come in.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:07 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

1.65" version. You will need to have the legs machined, QM can do this. If they do it, you will still need to verify the TOB clearance. You will also need to buy the applicable tri lite TOB adapter/mount.
You will also need to get the proper button flywheel, I think the c5 and c6 versions are different than the LS1 version, but I don't have my parts list handy.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:09 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Thanks for the info, any idea why the Corvette ones would be any different from others? Just curious as I've used vette/non-vette LS1 clutches interchangeably before.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:32 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not sure, call them to confirm. I may be getting it mixed up between the 8 leg and 6 leg versions.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I can get you a Tilton kit, with the right TOB/height, if youre interested. Not sure if you are piecing together a kit or looking for a total solution.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:07 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Originally Posted by Louis Gigliotti
I can get you a Tilton kit, with the right TOB/height, if youre interested. Not sure if you are piecing together a kit or looking for a total solution.
A friend of a friend has a used QuarterMaster Pro 5.5 with a bunch of spare parts from an LS1 ASA car for cheap, that's really the only reason I was looking at the QM. I much prefer Tilton based on previous experience with QM stuff, but my purse strings are a bit tight to buy everything new
Old 12-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Louis Gigliotti
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The old QM stuff was less than desirable, honestly. The new stuff is top notch. Theres no comparison to the stuff from an Old ASA car, so be a little leary.

You can call up QM and theyll source the TOB and stand you need.

Does this setup use the stock flex plate/button adapter?

Louis
Old 12-22-2015, 09:27 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Sorry, it's the ASA/LS1 flywheel, but the clutch itself is a current model QM Pro setup, so it's the latest and greatest in terms of design. It has its own button flywheel and works in conjunction with a flexplate for the ring gear.

The one I had experience with previously was an older 4.5" carbon fiber unit in a reverse mount starter setup, where the flex plate was bolted onto the face of the clutch body. It worked great until the flexplate came apart and tore up everything inside the bellhousing We replaced that one with a Tilton setup that worked beautifully.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:24 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a 7.25" QM full setup for a C6Z.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-assembly.html

It's a great setup for the track but a real PITA in my driveway!

Jim
Old 12-22-2015, 11:37 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Dang, that's a good deal. I picked up the 5.5 so I'm going to see what I can find for a TOB setup, but will save your listing in case my costs add up too quickly for the TOB and possibly master setup. Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Tilton/Quarter Master Button clutches - What TOB?

Quick Reply: Tilton/Quarter Master Button clutches - What TOB?