Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Tires, flipping the tire on the rim?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 AM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default HPDE Tires, flipping the tire on the rim?

I have a set of dedicated rims & tires that I use for track days. I am running the Michelin PSS tires on factory C7 rims. The outside shoulder of the front tires wears fairly fast, the middle and inside shoulder of the tire wear much slower. I run about 1.6 degrees of negative camber, and I do realize that more negative camber would help. With that said, I am curious if I can have the tire flipped on the rim?

I am not concerned about wet tire performance since these are track day tires only.

If this is not possible with the Michelin PSS, what tire could I use in the future that would give equal performance and be able to flip? This would be with the factory C7 19"-20" rims.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:28 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VThokies
I have a set of dedicated rims & tires that I use for track days. I am running the Michelin PSS tires on factory C7 rims. The outside shoulder of the front tires wears fairly fast, the middle and inside shoulder of the tire wear much slower. I run about 1.6 degrees of negative camber, and I do realize that more negative camber would help. With that said, I am curious if I can have the tire flipped on the rim?

I am not concerned about wet tire performance since these are track day tires only.

If this is not possible with the Michelin PSS, what tire could I use in the future that would give equal performance and be able to flip? This would be with the factory C7 19"-20" rims.

Thanks.
My tire shop has me on the Toyo R888 and one reason for that is so we can flip the tires. I run square sizes so I can rotate too and maximize the tire life.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:02 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If the PSS tire is directional (would have an arrow or something like "Left Side" or "Right Side") then you would have to move the tire to the other wheel on the same side. What is the current inside sidewall on a left wheel would become the outside sidewall on the other wheel.

This shouldn't be a big deal to do as it's a simple dismount/mount but it would be a good idea to talk with the tire shop about exactly what needs to be done. You can use blackboard chalk to label left or right and write something like "new outside sidewall" on the tires.

"Flipping" a tire on the same wheel would, in effect, have the tire rotating in the opposite direction. If the tread is directional, that would probably not be the thing to do.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:42 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If the PSS tire is directional (would have an arrow or something like "Left Side" or "Right Side") then you would have to move the tire to the other wheel on the same side. What is the current inside sidewall on a left wheel would become the outside sidewall on the other wheel.

This shouldn't be a big deal to do as it's a simple dismount/mount but it would be a good idea to talk with the tire shop about exactly what needs to be done. You can use blackboard chalk to label left or right and write something like "new outside sidewall" on the tires.

"Flipping" a tire on the same wheel would, in effect, have the tire rotating in the opposite direction. If the tread is directional, that would probably not be the thing to do.
Tread direction is only important when running in the rain as that is the main function of the tread pattern.
That said Michelin PSS do have a specific tread pattern across the tire.
I do not have uneven wear with about 1.5* camber. I did have in the past before installing poly bushings! Seems the camber changes a lot with stock bushings.

Last edited by ErnieN85; 12-27-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:48 AM
ROBMARZ
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

PSS are not directional - No Arrow

They do have an inside / outside marking on the side wall

I swap from side to side after each track day but have not flipped the tires on the rim.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:31 PM
VThokies
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. I also rotate the tires from side to side, and this helps. Responses above are correct, this tire is not directional, but does have a different tread pattern across the tire and the sidewall is marked "out" and "in". There is more tread on the outside shoulder than the inside shoulder, (due to a larger grove on the inside vs outside shoulder) but I'm not sure that matters for what I want to do? There is a lot of tire life left if I am able to do this.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
NT4HIM (12-28-2015)
Old 12-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Common practice to swap tires on the rim to extend their life. PSS are 'inside/outside' tread, and not sure if that translates to different internal construction or not. But if the options are either throw them out or flip them... give it a try!
Old 12-28-2015, 12:39 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Your choice is to throw them away soon or flip them. I would flip them. Might not have as much grip with the wrong tread blocks to the outside but the tires are low on grip if you don't flip. Net, you have nothing to lose if you flip them and you stand to gain enough tire life to pay the cost of getting them flipped. Where I used to live in upstate NY I could get 4 tires flipped for $20 but in NC I am paying over twice as much. The flip cost is what should determine your course of action.

Bill
Old 12-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Chets LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I flipped my fronts for the track, if not I would have corded them. I talked to the shop guy at houston MSR and he said on super sports it was fine.

flipped them...then went faster on the track haha
Old 12-28-2015, 07:23 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Tread should be symmetrical to flip. NT-05, R888 and the like. Some tires have different tread compounds across the tire and are only meant to be run one way.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:16 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Also, if these are the MPSS that come on the C7 aren't they run flats? As I recall the run flats have a different sidewall construction on the inside than the outside. I'd go with another tire if you want to flip them on the rim.

FWIW, with -2.0 camber my MPSS would peel the tread block off that was just inside of the outer tread block.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:51 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

i flip mine dependent on the track. if i run road Atlanta then daytona i won't flip them. Clockwise/counter clockwise tracks. if i run road Atl and then VIR i'll flip the tires around to extend life.

Last edited by johnny c; 12-29-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 PM
VThokies
Instructor

Thanks again for the replies. I may get another 3-4 days by flipping them, so it should be worth the cost. I will give it a try.

B.T.W. These are not the factory run flats, they are the standard PSS tire.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:01 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I ran nto1, they have the same inside/outside markings. I called nitto and asked if there would be any structural issues and there wasn't. Just less traction in theory. Michelin probably has a tech support also if you still wanted to check.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:53 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Your choice is to throw them away soon or flip them. I would flip them. Might not have as much grip with the wrong tread blocks to the outside but the tires are low on grip if you don't flip. Net, you have nothing to lose if you flip them and you stand to gain enough tire life to pay the cost of getting them flipped. Where I used to live in upstate NY I could get 4 tires flipped for $20 but in NC I am paying over twice as much. The flip cost is what should determine your course of action.

Bill

Tread pattern matters little when one edge is wearing much faster, just think about it (common sense). The "rain grooves" only matter in the (get ready for it - drum roll) RAIN! Look at a set of slicks. Again think about it.

Before I had my alignment set up to the point where (now) I get even wear, I used to flip tires on the rim, ANY TIRE, worked perfectly, got more wear out of the tires, cost was the only factor.

So by all means flip them, unless the tire shop is charging you excessively. Even then if may be worth it. Do the math

Last edited by froggy47; 12-29-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To HPDE Tires, flipping the tire on the rim?

Quick Reply: HPDE Tires, flipping the tire on the rim?