Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on installing a delrin bushing kit, is there spring tension?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 10:32 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Looking for advice on installing a delrin bushing kit, is there spring tension?

My ride tech kit delivers tomorrow and I'm planning on getting started with the install.

My question
With the car up on jackstands is there any spring tension on the control arms? Just want to know as I start to remove parts. Don't want to loose teeth or knuckles if there is something with tension on it.

Thank you
Dan
Old 12-27-2015, 10:51 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dn, I don't believe there is from watching videos online (mainly Froggy's). I have read in other threads that there is a ball joint GM tool that is worth the investment because of the fear of ripping the rubber boots. Good luck! I like following your progress because you are a year or two ahead of me and I can see what is working and what isn't
Old 12-27-2015, 10:51 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
My ride tech kit delivers tomorrow and I'm planning on getting started with the install.

My question
With the car up on jackstands is there any spring tension on the control arms? Just want to know as I start to remove parts. Don't want to loose teeth or knuckles if there is something with tension on it.

Thank you
Dan
Sweet! Rear spring unbolts easily to remove the spring with the arms drooping. The front spring stayed in place but the arms swing down away from it.

I did use a floor jack to push the front lower arms up when reinstalling. The car lifted a bit off the floor jack supporting it (positioned at the shipping hooks). Jack slips and car rests back on the supporting stands and I have to change my pants!
Old 12-27-2015, 11:25 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.

My question

Thank you
Dan
Put your floor jack under the ball joint when lowering it that will make sure it doesn't get away fro you. I disassembled the whole suspension in order to use a shop press to take out the old bushings.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:39 AM
tmtraylor
Racer

You just had the car corner weighted/ride height setup too, correct? Mark or measure the rear ride heights bolts so you go back to the same spot. (I used a caliper to measure top of nut to top of bolt).

I also pulled all the arms to press out old bushings. Upper front dog bone go in a vise and then twist the bushing out. All the others press out pretty easily.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:22 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Thank you guys, this is great advice. I hadn't thought to look for Froggy's videos, he's had so many that Ive used for other projects.

Yes, I had County Corvette do a track/street alignment last year. It wasn't corner balanced, but they did lower it some (want to say 10 mm but don't remember). I'd prefer not to pay for that again if I don't have to. Thanks for the heads up on measuring the ride height bolts.

Ludeaem,
Thank you, this is a great community and I try to finish my posts so it helps others. Tim is the man, he has been that guy a few steps ahead of me and has been a great help and super nice with pics and advice!
Old 12-27-2015, 12:38 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Mark your camber eccentrics too if they aren't already...

Your car has low mileage, but a good time to check the rear Tie rod inner and outer joints. (I keep doing things one at a time and have to go back for alignments)
Old 12-28-2015, 03:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Once the suspension is unloaded there is little to zero spring pressure on the arms. Do be careful.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for advice on installing a delrin bushing kit, is there spring tension?

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on installing a delrin bushing kit, is there spring tension?