Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using the Tracklogic VBOX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:59 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Anyone using the Tracklogic VBOX?

I'm planning on getting into data acquisition this season. The Racelogic VBOX looks like a good starting point. Anybody have any experience with this unit?

My main concern is that, like every other sport, I'll end up wanting to upgrade about 3 or 4 times before I get to something I'm totally happy with. I'm thinking maybe I should just plan on spending a pile of $$ upfront.

Any advice?

Jim
Old 12-29-2015, 08:55 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I'm planning on getting into data acquisition this season. The Racelogic VBOX looks like a good starting point. Anybody have any experience with this unit?

My main concern is that, like every other sport, I'll end up wanting to upgrade about 3 or 4 times before I get to something I'm totally happy with. I'm thinking maybe I should just plan on spending a pile of $$ upfront.

Any advice?

Jim

Yes, plan on spending $$$$ up front... It will save you quite a bit in the long run. I would strongly recommend checking out the data section over on Rennlist.com. There are several data system dealers that frequent the forum and they are very knowledgeable. There have been recent discussions about the latest system releases that are about to come out.

Charley
The following users liked this post:
jlutherva (12-31-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 03:44 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey Jim - I bought the Video VBOX Lite with 2 Cameras, the OBDII CAN and the OLED display. For HPDE, I find it to be just fine.

Positives:
Quite easy to set up and operate
Software is intuitive, easy to get up to speed quickly
Online videos get you started, you can largely take it from there
Data logs 10x per second
Real-time data/graphics overlay: no file merging/post production
Auto-detects track so plug and play
Built in backup battery: won't lose data/video due to poor connections or voltage fluctuations in the car
Racelogic support has been very good

Negatives:
The vids are 720 not 1080
CAN allows only 4 additional channels (+ 4 standard = 8 in all) . If you want/need more, a much more expensive model (VBOX Pro) is necessary
Track database did not have Monticello. It's a private track but it's been around since ~ 2008 so it should have been in there. As a UK company, the track database is heavily European. Ask if they have your tracks before buying
Pricey: $1,750 VBOX Lite w/ 2 cameras. OLED another $525. Add'l 4 channels $150. You can certainly put a system together much more cheaply so you're paying for plug and play convenience

Last edited by TKOGTO; 12-29-2015 at 04:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jlutherva (12-31-2015)
Old 12-31-2015, 05:52 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's what I thought. I guess I'll just continue on with Harry's until someone is selling a system on the Forum.
Thanks Again!
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using the Tracklogic VBOX?

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Tracklogic VBOX?