Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Front Grill Brake Cooling Duct DIY Install

Old 12-31-2015, 12:38 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Ultimate Front Grill Brake Cooling Duct DIY Install

Pics are self explanatory for most part.

Top bracing (solid rod that is welded) of the radiator supports were cut out and replaced with 1 inch square tubing, a lot lower on the supports, but doesn't look like that brace does anything anyway. Had to relocate the horns on the passenger side/split into and extend the wiring for the connector to the horns by about 1 foot to reroute the wires.

Z06 ducts were cut in half at the flat point where the ducts just start to curve. That piece was Flipped over 180 degrees and placed on opposite side of car. The stock pieces curve towards the outside of the car and forces a very sharp curved needed in the ducting. With this modification, the ducting remains as straight as possible will only a small 45 degree bend or less to get from the front grill opening to the Z06 ducts. The absolute straight path from the grill to the ducts goes right to the radiator supports, so that was not an option. The silicone tubing is 3" diameter. I also used the adjustable 3" sheet metal 90 degree elbows from Home Depot that is used for home heater/HVAC ducting. After I had the angles set where I wanted them, I just covered all the seams in GOOP.

I think it's 1/8" aluminum plate that I used for the "gates" I put on either side of the radiator. This segregates the air from radiator cooling and brake cooling.

For the Lampert spindle ducts, everyone complains about the opening. I used 0.025" aluminum sheet , cut a piece that's 7" x 2.5", cut off the corners, wrapped it around and shoved it in behind the duct mount, and put a rivet on each side. Now 100% of the air goes to the rotor center.

I bought the twin-pack plastic Naca inlets from Racer Parts Wholesale here:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...09/Naca_Ducts2

The plastic is somewhat flimsy, so I made a "frame" of the 1/8" aluminum plate for the around perimeter of the inlet ducts and trimmed off the unneeded plastic. I used 3/4" aluminum angle for the supports from the duct frame to the gates for support.

I used 1/4" spaced screen (I think) from Home Depot, galvanized steel. Also made a frame out of the 3/4" angle and a screen for the front grill to match the brake cooling screen.

Painted everything in gloss black spray paint.

I think this is the best perforaming/cheapest way to go for brake ducting you can make without doing everything in carbon fiber and spending a ton of money.

Feel free to ask questions. Enjoy! ( I used about 5 tubes of GOOP.)

Old 01-02-2016, 10:52 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Nice job. I plan to do something similar....will come back here to reference your ducting.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not just use the fog light holes instead of the main grill opening?
Old 01-04-2016, 03:39 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Thats what i had before....didnt notice much. In other threads its discussed that air pressure is low and going around the fog lights. The front grill has the highest air pressure and only place on the car with perpendicular air flow.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
Thats what i had before....didnt notice much. In other threads its discussed that air pressure is low and going around the fog lights. The front grill has the highest air pressure and only place on the car with perpendicular air flow.
Interesting...

I suppose there is something to say for the direct airflow. I'd be more inclined to simply open up the fog light holes though.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Interesting...

I suppose there is something to say for the direct airflow. I'd be more inclined to simply open up the fog light holes though.

The guys from LG Motorsports also commented that the fog light location is pretty much useless, and direct airflow in the front middle of the car/next to the radiator is the way to go.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:46 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

works much better in the center opening, I tried both ended up just like the above
Old 07-12-2019, 08:17 PM
Craiger77
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I wonder how this held up since 2016
Old 07-27-2019, 09:21 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Craiger77
I wonder how this held up since 2016
I have not been to the track yet with this setup...probably wont for about 10 years, i have young kids and dont want to risk my life on the track until they are in their mid teens...
anyway i am install my top of front fender vents soon, i will post it up in about a month. Nobody else has giant vents like i do besides the other 2 sets i sold.
The following users liked this post:
Craiger77 (07-27-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 09:24 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I have not been to the track yet with this setup...probably wont for about 10 years, i have young kids and dont want to risk my life on the track until they are in their mid teens...
anyway i am install my top of front fender vents soon, i will post it up in about a month. Nobody else has giant vents like i do besides the other 2 sets i sold.
without track driving was this necessary?
Old 07-28-2019, 09:43 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
without track driving was this necessary?
I like tinkering on my car. Doesnt matter if its necessary. I also have a roll bar, tow hitch for my trailer, and also putting in sound deadening and a nice stereo with 12 inch subwoofer in the trunk. Its a jack of all trades corvette and i love it.

cruise long trips with stereo while towing track supplies...then have a great time at a track day, and drive back. Its so versatile. Cant do it with any other platform looking this good !

Last edited by bdanyluk; 07-28-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:09 AM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I like tinkering on my car. Doesnt matter if its necessary. I also have a roll bar, tow hitch for my trailer, and also putting in sound deadening and a nice stereo with 12 inch subwoofer in the trunk. Its a jack off all trades corvette and i love it.

cruise long trips with stereo while towing track supplies...then have a great time at a track day, and drive back. Its so versatile. Cant do it with any other platform looking this good !
I totally agree. I was just wondering in light of the fact that you didn't track the car if you had done something else that caused excessive brake heat.

Get notified of new replies

To Ultimate Front Grill Brake Cooling Duct DIY Install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ultimate Front Grill Brake Cooling Duct DIY Install