Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Build Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:17 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 713 Likes on 494 Posts

Default C6 Build Project

So I don't post here much any more, we have a super secret Facebook group where like-minded racers share projects and ideas.

Corvette Forum has become too expensive to me to advertise, and also....

1. Everybody already knows everything....
2. More miss-information than accurate....
3. Massive repetition

Anyway, in case you miss them, my various DIY PDF's are still available here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1634366/index.html

And finally, my current build. Base C6, purchased salvage, rebuilt the front end and installed LG Coilovers. Car is for NASA ST3/TT3, which is basically 10:1 power to weight ratio and I'm running "factory aero". This gives me an adjusted setup of 320hp and 3000lbs (with driver). I have a Dynojet in my shop now, so I've tuned 80hp out of the car, and have trimmed a lot of weight to get to roughly 2700lbs empty.

Latest project was to remove the B-pillar steel are rear glass, cutting around 50lbs out to offset the cage

Cage going in soon, just been instructing and TTing this past fall.

happy to share any photos or info if anyone is interested. I check in here occasionally, but can always be reached at y2khardtop at geemale
The following 2 users liked this post by davidfarmer:
PA_BLUE_C6 (01-07-2016), Reggie Dunlop (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 09:43 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You talking about hpdre on Facebook or is there another super secret group I should be made aware of?
Old 01-02-2016, 11:04 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The following 3 users liked this post by davidfarmer:
383 (01-06-2016), Louis Gigliotti (01-05-2016), sperkins (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:43 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Still nice to hear from you,
Old 01-02-2016, 11:58 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

OK I see another reason I'm not here often...they are plastering ads on top of even my own photos......
Old 01-02-2016, 01:40 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

3. Massive repetition
Most accurate thing posted today.

Good luck on your build. You're basically doing what I've always wanted to do with a base C6. A factory aero C6 Z51 could be the ST3/TT3 ringer.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:34 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Most accurate thing posted today.

most accurate thing posted this year...

Last edited by redvetracr; 01-02-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:20 PM
RS-08C6Z51
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I don't post here much any more, we have a super secret Facebook group where like-minded racers share projects and ideas.

3. Massive repetition

Anyway, in case you miss them, my various DIY PDF's are still available here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1634366/index.html

And finally, my current build. Base C6, purchased salvage, rebuilt the front end and installed LG Coilovers. Car is for NASA ST3/TT3, which is basically 10:1 power to weight ratio and I'm running "factory aero". This gives me an adjusted setup of 320hp and 3000lbs (with driver). I have a Dynojet in my shop now, so I've tuned 80hp out of the car, and have trimmed a lot of weight to get to roughly 2700lbs empty.

Latest project was to remove the B-pillar steel are rear glass, cutting around 50lbs out to offset the cage

Cage going in soon, just been instructing and TTing this past fall.

happy to share any photos or info if anyone is interested. I check in here occasionally, but can always be reached at y2khardtop at geemale
What is the exact definition of "OEM Aero"? Is it components designed by the OEM? The rear spoiler in the photo is from a ZR1. Is the front bumper lower spoiler OEM? Just curious. Thanks.
Also, are you using 275 tires to get that adjusted whp?
Old 01-03-2016, 05:17 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No vented hood or fenders? What is the peak torque on the Dynojet plot?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 PM
RS-08C6Z51
Instructor

Just read the rules and they state part must come from vehicle manufacturer and be for that specific generation so aftermarket parts like replica spoilers or vented hoods/fenders would not qualify as OEM Aero.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:52 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

7.3.2.A.3

Plastic fender liners may be modified and/or removed. The front, top, and rear aspects of the fender well may have modifications to allow vent holes for aero and/or cooling purposes

Last edited by JerryTX; 01-05-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM
RS-08C6Z51
Instructor

Agree about hood replacement/modification for venting. I was concentrating on the "OEM" definition. But I don't see where it states you can use modify the OEM fenders (except flaring/rolling) in ST3/TT3 under OEM Aero. The fender well is mentioned for venting but not the fender itself so does this mean the OEM fender cannot be modified for venting?
Also agree about the ZR1 lip and rear spoiler being OEM Aero but I don't recall an OEM ZR1 lip designed for the base front bumper, just the GS, Z06 and ZR1 bumper. Does this means you can't use it on the base model even if you can figure out a way to make it fit?
Thanks.

Last edited by RS-08C6Z51; 01-05-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:31 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Screwed up edit, oh well, my original post now shows the relevant section on fender venting.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:48 AM
RS-08C6Z51
Instructor

But the rule states the fender well may be modified not the fender itself. If the intent of the rule was to allow modifying the actual fender, I'd think it would state something to the affect of "the fender and/or fender well may be modified.....". What do you think?
Also, what do you think about my question above regarding the use of the OEM ZR1 lip on a base front bumper?
Thanks.

Last edited by RS-08C6Z51; 01-05-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:06 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The rules may be a little confusing because they talk about "production cars" in sections 7.3.2 A,B & C then in section 7.3.2 section D they talk about "production car aero" which is the guideline you need to follow for ST3. The reason for the language is because there is a non-production mod factor and they are laying out the guidelines for "production" vehicles.
You can vent the hood but you cannot vent the fenders - you can only vent the fenders if you take the hit for non-OEM aero.

Also you can't run the ZR1 aero bits unless it's a ZR1, it has to come with the base trim package of the vehicle. The base trim of the ZR1 has the spoilers, even the Z06 carbon can't use them because the carbon edition isn't the base trim of the Z06.

Now that being said, you may get away with running some of those things regionally because you competitors or ST director may not be Corvette experts but you will not get away with them at Nationals.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:15 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi David! if you think David's driving is good you should see his electrical work.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:24 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Also you can't run the ZR1 aero bits unless it's a ZR1, it has to come with the base trim package of the vehicle. The base trim of the ZR1 has the spoilers, even the Z06 carbon can't use them because the carbon edition isn't the base trim of the Z06.
I disagree based on this in the ruleset:
“OEM” is defined as any part that comes from the vehicle
manufacturer either as a standard feature, a factory option, or on a factory optional trim model/package of that generation of the street-legal (in the U.S.A.) version of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
The rules may be a little confusing because they talk about "production cars" in sections 7.3.2 A,B & C then in section 7.3.2 section D they talk about "production car aero" which is the guideline you need to follow for ST3. The reason for the language is because there is a non-production mod factor and they are laying out the guidelines for "production" vehicles.
You can vent the hood but you cannot vent the fenders - you can only vent the fenders if you take the hit for non-OEM aero.
I disagree based on this in the ruleset:"The addition of non-OEM aerodynamic aides or modification of OEM body lines
(unless specifically stated otherwise in these rules), will be assessed a Modification
Factor to the “Adjusted Weight/Power Ratio” (7.4)"

Since vented fenders are already called out as allowed, they are allowed in ST3 without modification.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Build Project

Old 01-05-2016, 10:33 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Joel - that is a pretty conservative interpretation of the OEM aero rules, given the definition of "OEM" - “OEM” is defined as any part that comes from the vehicle
manufacturer either as a standard feature, a factory option, or on a factory optional trim
model/package of that generation of the street-legal (in the U.S.A.) version of the vehicle.

Given the above, it doesn't seem like a stretch to start with an '05 base model, put on a ZR1 body and aero bits, and still take the OEM aero bonus. The base trim model language is in the PT rules, but I don't see any mention of it in the ST rules (though I may be missing something).
Old 01-05-2016, 11:05 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Given the above, it doesn't seem like a stretch to start with an '05 base model, put on a ZR1 body and aero bits, and still take the OEM aero bonus. The base trim model language is in the PT rules, but I don't see any mention of it in the ST rules (though I may be missing something).
Ugh. I agree with everything except starting with an '05. I bought an '05 five years ago to make into a race car, but due to the electrical nightmares that come with that model year I kept it on the street and TT'd it a little, but bought an '03 for competition use.

Why is the consensus that the C6 non-aero will be an ST3 sleeper? Is the overall package superior to the C5 body?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 AM
RS-08C6Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Joel - that is a pretty conservative interpretation of the OEM aero rules, given the definition of "OEM" - “OEM” is defined as any part that comes from the vehicle
manufacturer either as a standard feature, a factory option, or on a factory optional trim
model/package of that generation of the street-legal (in the U.S.A.) version of the vehicle.

Can the ZR1 spoiler, lip and side skirts be used on a Z06 or Grand Sport? I believe it was an option for the Z06 and GS in special versions. The same rear bumper was used on all C6's so can the ZR1 spoiler be used on a base model? Since the ZR1 lip and side skirts weren't designed for the base model and don't bolt on w/o some modification, I'd assume that these components are not allowed on a base model with base model body work as OEM Aero?

Last edited by RS-08C6Z51; 01-05-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: C6 Build Project