Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Current fastest R-comp tire that 's streetable

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 03:29 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Current fastest R-comp tire that 's streetable

Assuming that the best current street tire that is trackable is the Michelin PSS, what is the current best or fastest R-comp tire that is streetable, and how many miles before cording?
Old 01-02-2016, 03:58 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Define streetable? Needs to be able to handle wet?

I have seen both cut and non-cut Hoosiers driven on the street, and they are DOT legal but they are going to go through a lot of heat cycles if you drive it a lot.
The following users liked this post:
oversteerdawg (01-12-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 04:08 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

1) Whatever is on the Viper ACR
2) Trofeo R
3) MPSC 2
4) NT01
5) R888
6) Corsa
Old 01-02-2016, 04:45 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I think the Nt-01 is hard to beat for the $ for a street/track tire. I don't run them on my race car but spring to fall in my DD 911turbo, doesn't seem like the daily driving effects there track performance much at all till they are to the cords.

Last edited by z06801; 01-02-2016 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:02 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Define streetable? Needs to be able to handle wet?

I have seen both cut and non-cut Hoosiers driven on the street, and they are DOT legal but they are going to go through a lot of heat cycles if you drive it a lot.
Anthony I run Hoosier H2Os on my race car, but I am looking for something like an NT-01 for my C5 Z06.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:42 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

R888 is a great tire. It's streetable in the rain, but I don't really want to get stuck in heavy rain with mid-heavy wear on the tread. I ride these tires to the track (and at the track) for 3 seasons now. They are noisy on the street, but they are sticky as hell on dry asphalt.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:41 PM
SWEBLD
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hankook Ventus TD Z221, probably fastest r-compound in the world, if you can find them... Insanely fast in time-attack around the world.
Max size 295/30-18
Old 01-03-2016, 05:04 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SWEBLD
Hankook Ventus TD Z221, probably fastest r-compound in the world, if you can find them... Insanely fast in time-attack around the world.
Max size 295/30-18
Thanks...................I guess I could run 4 of them
Old 01-03-2016, 05:32 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I think one of the best was the Toyo RA1s they had great grip on the track wore like iron on the street and a good wet tire, but they discontinued most of the18's
Old 01-03-2016, 07:13 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I suppose that before this last set of tires (R7's) I had run a few sets of 200TW rated tires (NT 01's, R888's). I almost jerked the car off the track when scrubbing in the R7's. My suggestion would be to buy an extra set of wheels and a small trailer with removable tow hitch. Although I enjoyed the longevity of the compromise tires (street/track), I have found the R7's to last well enough to more than justify their cost.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:28 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Bridgestone RE-71Rs--but size-limited. Decent life, but will probably heat-cycle out before cords show if street-driven.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:46 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Back to Anthony's question. If by "street tire" you mean daily driver that can run in hard rain, sleet, and the occasional snow we get (I was down in Cresson a week ago and it looked like the mid-west ), then I would not recommend an r-compound as none of them are intended for those situations. If by street tire you mean driving to MSR from Granbury on a sunny day... Then R888s are a good choice. They'll get you home on a damp road if it rains during the day. I have a set of 17s up front and 18s in back (C5Z06 stock rims) with one weekend on them that I'd be willing to sell at a good price if anyone is interested. Also have a set of stock C5Z06 argent wheels to go with them.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:51 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garrett, from 2005 to 2010 I ran Nitto 555 R2 and NT-01 tires full time on my old vette. In general the tires would last 4-5 trackdays ( approx 15 sessions) before replacement. I would go thru 3 sets/yr. The car wasn't a daily driver but I drove it several times from LA to Monterey and back for the Historics. The only issue I had during that time was slow leak in 1 tire while at Spring Mountain which required a stop to put air in during my return to LA.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:11 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Some other considerations for track usage would include type of brake pads and alignment. A compromise for DD and track use leaves a lot to be desired for either one. Most find that since they need to prepare for track by changing to better heat range brake pad and bleed brake fluid they may as well mount track wheels/tires while the street tires are off. As I mentioned above, you can get a really nice removable trailer hitch for the vette that allows you to pull a small trailer to the track. However, the alignment will always be a compromise unless you have plates to adjust in your own garage between events. Then, again, I suppose it depends upon how many miles you drive the vehicle and how many events you plan to do. But beware, you will eventually end up with a dedicated track car only.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:18 AM
WONIT84
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Some other considerations for track usage would include type of brake pads and alignment. A compromise for DD and track use leaves a lot to be desired for either one. Most find that since they need to prepare for track by changing to better heat range brake pad and bleed brake fluid they may as well mount track wheels/tires while the street tires are off. As I mentioned above, you can get a really nice removable trailer hitch for the vette that allows you to pull a small trailer to the track. However, the alignment will always be a compromise unless you have plates to adjust in your own garage between events. Then, again, I suppose it depends upon how many miles you drive the vehicle and how many events you plan to do. But beware, you will eventually end up with a dedicated track car only.
I have been driving on NT01's to the track for several years. I drive from Conn to VIR each year on these tires. No issues
Old 01-04-2016, 10:42 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The only issues I've ever had driving to/from on R-comps is as you wear down you risk cording, or if it i rains on the way home after an event and you have worn the tread low they can be pretty hairy driving in the rain.

I ran the NT 555RII's when they were around. I would think the NT-01 or R888 would be a good choice.

I would think the "fastest" would wear too quickly and not do well on the street.

If you're driving to/from I would run the tire trailer route. Once I did this I had no worries driving to/from anymore. Plus you can carry a lot of extras.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:24 PM
twistedwankel
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Assuming that the best current street tire that is trackable is the Michelin PSS, what is the current best or fastest R-comp tire that is streetable, and how many miles before cording?
I just completed my personal testing of the PSS on my Z51 C5. They were holding up really well for the first 1/2 tread. I dreamed of getting two seasons out of them justifying the price. The last 5/32" to the point of front cording went very very fast. They stuck well right to the cords and never lost air. 3000 miles and 150 laps to the wearbars with some front cording pretty even wear. Not a daily driver.

I am presently trying out a set of Toyo T1 Sports for $629 full retail from a local dealer. $750 installed and balanced. A savings of $300 and rated at 220utqg. Not a lot of etire stores carry C5 correct sizes for the T1. Only found one place in CA with free shipping for the same money as I paid locally with sales tax. I live in FL and race year round. So far I find them equivalent to the PSS. Time will tell. I've all ready put 1200 miles on them and 15 runs with two people losing 1.5mm is all.

Mostly I high speed autocross on concrete and have a fairly aggressive alignment.

If these don't work out I'll go back to 200utqg performance tires for about the same money as Michelins only lasting one season BUT 15% grippier. Currently only Bridgestone R11's are a direct fit for me. If I play games with sizing to keep the fronts 1/2" smaller diameter for the computer's sanity I can do either Hankook RS3 or BFG 71's figuring one set/year like always before.

You have the wide rims on your Z06 so maybe you have a better selection of tire manufacturers?

The 40-100utqg tires are all pretty expensive $1200-1600 a set. Wouldn't take long to pay for a small tire trailer and hitch to hold the tools, gas can, brakes and jack stands?

Get notified of new replies

To Current fastest R-comp tire that 's streetable

Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joemoia
Garrett, from 2005 to 2010 I ran Nitto 555 R2 and NT-01 tires full time on my old vette. In general the tires would last 4-5 trackdays ( approx 15 sessions) before replacement. I would go thru 3 sets/yr. The car wasn't a daily driver but I drove it several times from LA to Monterey and back for the Historics. The only issue I had during that time was slow leak in 1 tire while at Spring Mountain which required a stop to put air in during my return to LA.
BINGO!!!
that's exactly what I am looking for. Regarding these 2 tires, is one markedly better (or worse) in the wet or quicker in the dry or wears faster etc?
Thanks,
Garrett
Old 01-04-2016, 05:37 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
I totally agree, BUT..........as most of you know, I HAVE a race car, and my wife says "one is enough", SO............I "occasionally" run MSR Cresson or TWS with my daughter and our BRCC. MSR Cresson is 10 miles from my home. I run a stock C5 Z05 with Stoptech BBK and Cobalt Friction XR3 pads. I have Kinesis track wheels with (worn out and cycled out) Dunlop slicks from (forum vendor) GT Racing tires. These tires cost me $50ea in 2010, and I am very pleased with these tires and with GT Racing Tires! I recommend them NOTE: the ONLY reason that I run slicks or R-cpmps is to prevent track damage to my expensive street tires.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:34 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
BINGO!!!
that's exactly what I am looking for. Regarding these 2 tires, is one markedly better (or worse) in the wet or quicker in the dry or wears faster etc?
Thanks,
Garrett
IIRC I only drove the car a couple of times in the rain and I can't remember which tires I had on at the time, but I would baby it driving around in the wet. In my experience the NT-01's were quicker (all of my PB lap times were set on NT-01's). I would replace the full set of tires when the fronts started to go away in the corners so I could probably have run the rears for 1 or 2 more track days. R2s and NT-01s seemed to wear the same. I never wore either tire down to the cords.

My 2003 C5 coupe had a full Z06 suspension, CCW Classic C5Z06 size wheels, and a track alignment (-2.5 deg. Front/-1.5 deg. rear camber).

Last edited by joemoia; 01-05-2016 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Current fastest R-comp tire that 's streetable