Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is on coilovers and swaps springs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:14 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Who is on coilovers and winning because of them?

Folks,

Stepping up to Penske DAs next season and while we're at it the question of whether to switch to coil overs came up. Shock guy says biggest advantage of coil overs is the ability to change springs for the track. I have neither the time to change out springs and setups nor the funds to pay someone to do that for me all the time. I just like to drive, I don't like to tinker. So I'm leaning heavily towards staying with the leafs since I know I'll never actually change a spring. However I'm aiming to head to East Coast Nationals next season and want to be able to run at the pointy end. My mechanic says since I'm not willing to play with setups and spring changes I'll never be fast enough and I should just quit now and while I'm at it shoot myself in the face. I told him I know guys on leafers have won championships and set track records, so they can't be all that bad. So my question is - for those of you who have gone to coilovers, do you switch springs to optimize your setup? For those of you with track records and Championships, are you using leafs or coils?

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 01-09-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:57 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

They definitely have a different "feel" to them over the leaf. I prefer the feel of independent sides when using the curbs. The leaves use a pad that slides side to side on the LCA through out wheel travel, coilovers do not so youd be removing some stiction.
Swapping springs is WAY easier as you said and that can really change the car. Im swapping my springs from 850lb rear to 650lb. Should change the balance a bit. Its an easy way to tune for drastically different circumstances eg. dry day at the Glenn vs wet one at Palmer, swap springs and youre on your way to optimal setup for both.
I vote coilover
Old 01-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Even if you don't plan on changing springs for every event you still are better off with a coilover. The only reason I can think of to utilize leaf springs is to be complaint with another sanctioning bodies requirements. I think you would be happier on coilovers.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:47 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Folks,

Stepping up to Penske DAs next season and while we're at it the question of whether to switch to coil overs came up. Shock guy says biggest advantage of coil overs is the ability to change springs for the track. I have neither the time to change out springs and setups nor the funds to pay someone to do that for me all the time. I just like to drive, I don't like to tinker. So I'm leaning heavily towards staying with the leafs since I know I'll never actually change a spring. However I'm aiming to head to East Coast Nationals next season and want to be able to run at the pointy end. My mechanic says since I'm not willing to play with setups and spring changes I'll never be fast enough and I should just quit now and while I'm at it shoot myself in the face. I told him I know guys on leafers have won championships and set track records, so they can't be all that bad. So my question is - for those of you who have gone to coilovers, do you switch springs to optimize your setup? For those of you with track records and Championships, are you using leafs or coils?
There is no doubt that coil overs are going to be better for a track car. The springs are cheap and easy to change. You will get another tool to tune your chassis for track conditions. The downside is to get the most out of them you are going to need to get the car scaled.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:26 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sccaGT1racer
There is no doubt that coil overs are going to be better for a track car. The springs are cheap and easy to change. You will get another tool to tune your chassis for track conditions. The downside is to get the most out of them you are going to need to get the car scaled.
The car was scaled and corner balanced last season, and will certainly do it again this season after I install delrin bushings, camber kit, and shocks. However getting it balanced and aligned after every spring change is what I don't want to have to do on a regular basis, and that is what I figured would have to be done. Am I wrong about that?
Old 01-10-2016, 08:38 AM
sccaGT1racer
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
The car was scaled and corner balanced last season, and will certainly do it again this season after I install delrin bushings, camber kit, and shocks. However getting it balanced and aligned after every spring change is what I don't want to have to do on a regular basis, and that is what I figured would have to be done. Am I wrong about that?

If you keep your ride height the same your alignment will not change. When I change springs at the track I take a ride height measurement and set it back to the same height. This will get you close but wont be as good as on the scales.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:35 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
Even if you don't plan on changing springs for every event you still are better off with a coilover. The only reason I can think of to utilize leaf springs is to be complaint with another sanctioning bodies requirements.

StreetSpeed - you've come to the wrong place to ask these kind of questions.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:40 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I could understand wanting to swap sets of coilovers as its easy. Swapping just springs on samecoilover over would be a PITA due to ride height and corner weighting every time.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:21 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even if you never change the spring rates, you have the ability to get the car closer to your perfect compromise in handling and comfort due to the fact that you have far more spring rates available compared to leaf springs.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 AM
Pop Chevy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 784 Likes on 536 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

To run at the "pointy end " of the field requires a commitment of time and money. Also LOTS of seat time.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:03 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

It sounds like you want to keep it simple. I'm not sure about your shock of choice, but for the past 15 years I'v been using JRZs with leafs, and if I need to tight up the spring rate I'v been able to adjust the gas pressure in the shocks, and then turn down the spring adjusters to my ride hight. But remember you also now have to reset rebound and compression a click or two to keep your damping where you like it. All it take is a bottle of gas, gage and a min or two.

Mark.

Get notified of new replies

To Who is on coilovers and swaps springs?

Quick Reply: Who is on coilovers and swaps springs?