Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 HPDE Oil System Pump / Pan

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Default C5 HPDE Oil System Pump / Pan

I have a C6 pan and a C5 2 piece batwing pan and am in the process of installing a CTS-V LS6 shortblock in my heads and cam C5Z. My first question is which would you go with the C5 pan or C6 pan with the Improved Racing Baffle kits? Yes I have searched but the topics did not discuss the C6 pan with baffling. The C5 pan is obviously better than a C6 pan without the baffles

http://www.improvedracing.com/baffle...tte-p-498.html

The car does have an oil cooler built into the radiator and was running a remote oil filter using an adapter mounted in the factory oil filter location to run the lines. I am leaning towards running a factory filter and a LPE/Improved racing adapter rather than the adapter currently in the car. Which oil pump would you use? LS4? Melling stock volume high pressure?

The car has stiffer aftermarket leaf springs, bigger sway bars, (likely all installed by MTI Racing) a Stillen/AP BBK and will see AMP, Road Atlanta etc.

Last edited by 93Polo; 01-10-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:11 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the advantage of the C5 pan over the C6 pan is a bit of a Forum myth. On my last motor build I contacted several major engine builders and they all recommended the C6 pan over the C5, even without the race baffles. With the race baffles it seems like a no brainer to me. I've been using the C6 pan on my LS7 Hoosier equipped track car for a year now and haven't seen problem one.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:01 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 368 Likes on 315 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Good info.

I remember reading when the C6 came out that some thought the pan was an improvement. I left the scene not long after that and of course now read of especially the LS3 melt downs. The prior owner of my car said he didn't have any problems with the pan but Phoenix Racing did have a used C6 pan with C5 type wings on the side for sale. As an added bonus, the C6 pan also makes installing and removing long tubes easier. I just prefer to do things once, up front

Last edited by 93Polo; 01-10-2016 at 10:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 HPDE Oil System Pump / Pan

Quick Reply: C5 HPDE Oil System Pump / Pan