Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 build for track days, autoX, etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:54 PM
Twiggs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS2 build for track days, autoX, etc

I am coming up on having to replace my timing chain cover and harmonic balancer this spring, looking over the scope of the job it seems like an oppertune time to do some upgrades to an otherwise stock LS2 since I have to strip most of the accessories off of the motor anyway.

My thought process is that taking the car apart multiple times opens the door for something to break, or go wrong putting it back together so I would like to do as much as I can while I have to be taking it apart anyway.

My end goal with the car is to have a platform that I can drive on weekends, be able to drive confidently at the Glen without fear of overheating, something breaking, losing oil pressure, losing brakes etc, and then drive home. Would you fine people be able to lend some guidance in a good path for a robust dependable upgrade path?

I don't know much about cam profiles or who makes the "best", I do know that a C5-R timing chain is a good buy, as is the ATI balancer. Katech makes a replacement belt tensioner that might be worth looking into. Oil pumps I have no idea on. pushrods and springs I have no clue either. It looks like for the LS2 C6 there are many good options for radiators, but I'm not sure if I should go for a combination radiator oil cooler or get a stand alone cooler.

Am I overthinking this whole thing too much and should just shut up and put a nice cam in for sound and power and be done with it?
Old 01-23-2016, 01:41 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Twiggs
I am coming up on having to replace my timing chain cover and harmonic balancer this spring, looking over the scope of the job it seems like an oppertune time to do some upgrades to an otherwise stock LS2 since I have to strip most of the accessories off of the motor anyway.

My thought process is that taking the car apart multiple times opens the door for something to break, or go wrong putting it back together so I would like to do as much as I can while I have to be taking it apart anyway.

My end goal with the car is to have a platform that I can drive on weekends, be able to drive confidently at the Glen without fear of overheating, something breaking, losing oil pressure, losing brakes etc, and then drive home. Would you fine people be able to lend some guidance in a good path for a robust dependable upgrade path?

I don't know much about cam profiles or who makes the "best", I do know that a C5-R timing chain is a good buy, as is the ATI balancer. Katech makes a replacement belt tensioner that might be worth looking into. Oil pumps I have no idea on. pushrods and springs I have no clue either. It looks like for the LS2 C6 there are many good options for radiators, but I'm not sure if I should go for a combination radiator oil cooler or get a stand alone cooler.

Am I overthinking this whole thing too much and should just shut up and put a nice cam in for sound and power and be done with it?
I think I still have some of my cam stuff left over from my LS2
I think I have the timing gears/chain and BTR pushrods.....I might have double springs too... I can look if youre interested Ill sell it all to you super cheap, I have no use for that stuff anymore
Stick with a cam on the lower side of lift for the track and springs etc will last longer. Id just call cammotion and tell them what you intend to do with the car and have them spec you a cam they are the pros and when in doubt there is no doubt.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:35 PM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Very interested to see where this goes.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 build for track days, autoX, etc

Quick Reply: LS2 build for track days, autoX, etc