Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rollbar/cage on a daily...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Smarsomthing
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rollbar/cage on a daily...

hello all, I recently posted in general discussion and someone suggested this group...

I am getting more and more into HPDEs and want to make sure Im safe as I get faster. The C6 is my daily driver as of now (unless i hit the lotto tomorrow it will be for a while)

It is unsafe to use a 5 point harness with stock seats...correct?

It is unsafe to use a hans without a roll cage....correct?

Is there any neck protection out there without going roll cage/bar?

Does anybody have a roll bar in a daily driver and is that safe to do?

I want to make my car safe to drive, or have to buy a track miata...either way I'm spending money...
Old 01-27-2016, 11:37 AM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

IMO: 3 things that will make a really nice street car into something that you never want to drive again: (except on the track...)
1) Race seat. Giant pain in the *** to climb in and out.
2) Roll bar/cage. Even gianter pain in the *** to climb in and out.
3) Not applicable on Corvette, only for McPherson strut cars: Camber plates that pop and snap as you drive. Make you crazy, scares sh*t out of your passengers.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Smarsomthing
Instructor

I agree, thats why i was wondering how a roll bar vs a cage would be...
Old 01-27-2016, 12:57 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Smarsomthing
I agree, thats why i was wondering how a roll bar vs a cage would be...
Somethiing to consider: IN many states (check yours) use of a roll bar or cage is unlawful in a street driven car BECAUSE of possibility of head injury,ie you don't wear a helmet in street driving. If a cop decides to stop you, you need to know if it is legal or not, and be able to prove it
Old 01-27-2016, 01:30 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Drive mine on the street

Swingouts are the way to go

Last edited by BrianCunningham; 01-27-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Whos roll bar is that?^^
Old 01-27-2016, 01:39 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

It started off as an AutoPower 4pt that I had a shop modify
Old 01-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Smarsomthing
Instructor

Ive seen the swing outs, just didnt know how practical they were.

Ive seen a lot saying they are only for drag type scenarios not road course.

Last edited by Smarsomthing; 01-27-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:18 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

All you need is a harness bar (get a reputable one such as Brey Krause ~$500?)or make one) and a seat which accepts a sub belt and shoulder belts.

You do NOT in any way want a cage in a car that is EVER driven without a helmet. Watch some youtube crash test videos and understand that everything changes in a 250g crash. Even the SFI certified head impact foam that is required on roll bar surfaces is certified for helmet contact, not head contact. It will scramble your brains if your head hits it at speed.

Here's one of a Challenger at about 30 mph. Watch the later parts where they show slow motion of what happens to the driver. Then imagine that at 120 mph.

You need the belts to be properly mounted and used. The belts in the photo above are not safe, as soon as the torso moves forward in an impact of any significance they will spread open and allow the torso and head to move forward into the wheel (or worse).

Check this link, start on page 8 for a clear explanation. It is not harder or more expensive to install the belts properly, you just have to read how to do so.

http://english.schroth.com/download/EA_8-2__2014-11.pdf

That is documentation for Schroth brand, but it applies to all 5 or 6 pt harnesses.

Some stock seats have provision for shoulder belts, but most do not. This may force you into a racing style seat. I know lots of folks who simply swap the seat in and out prior to track weekends. You're already changing your brakes and tires, what's another 15 minutes for the seat?

With those two simple things in place, a HANS will work effectively and as per design.

However, the right answer is to cage the car and take it off the street

Last edited by ScaryFast; 01-27-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:58 PM
Smarsomthing
Instructor

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Thanks for the info!

Iim still not fully convinced a hans is safe with out a roll bar/cage....now is it safER? probably, since most likely it will be a front end collision. could be debated on and on and on...

I think that track + Fast should = cage
might as well be as safe as you can be...
Old 01-27-2016, 05:14 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Ive seen the swing outs, just didnt know how practical they were.

Ive seen a lot saying they are only for drag type scenarios not road course.
Mine is captured when locked

You can also take the bar off
Old 01-27-2016, 06:27 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found better picture

Last edited by jwebsta32; 01-27-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

I don't know about the Hans. But the safety solutions will give protection with stock seat belts. But it's better with 5 or 6 to connect to.

I couldn't find the cheaper model. But this is the style.

http://www.usracegear.com/product/SS-SAF.HR.50
Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

The Hans is there to protect a major frontal impact with some side impact restriction (but not as much as one would think) So even in a none caged car you would receive the benefit of a Hans/5/6 point belt system in conduction with a seat that is meant to work with the belts.

Now if you want to see what happen at 100 plus accident, watch the Arib Drift accidents. That should keep you at 8/10s at Track events. Like you said, this is your daily driver.

Mark
Old 01-27-2016, 07:42 PM
blueekb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For HANS to work I think you do need the proper belts, race seat and at least a harness bar. HANS keeps your head attached to your body in a head on crash.

I'm not sure if the other "backpack" type neck restraint devices work with stock belts or not.

Last edited by blueekb; 01-27-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:51 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
All you need is a harness bar (get a reputable one such as Brey Krause ~$500?)or make one) and a seat which accepts a sub belt and shoulder belts.

You do NOT in any way want a cage in a car that is EVER driven without a helmet. Watch some youtube crash test videos and understand that everything changes in a 250g crash. Even the SFI certified head impact foam that is required on roll bar surfaces is certified for helmet contact, not head contact. It will scramble your brains if your head hits it at speed.

Here's one of a Challenger at about 30 mph. Watch the later parts where they show slow motion of what happens to the driver. Then imagine that at 120 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqFEPT5MVM

You need the belts to be properly mounted and used. The belts in the photo above are not safe, as soon as the torso moves forward in an impact of any significance they will spread open and allow the torso and head to move forward into the wheel (or worse).

Check this link, start on page 8 for a clear explanation. It is not harder or more expensive to install the belts properly, you just have to read how to do so.

http://english.schroth.com/download/EA_8-2__2014-11.pdf

That is documentation for Schroth brand, but it applies to all 5 or 6 pt harnesses.

Some stock seats have provision for shoulder belts, but most do not. This may force you into a racing style seat. I know lots of folks who simply swap the seat in and out prior to track weekends. You're already changing your brakes and tires, what's another 15 minutes for the seat?

With those two simple things in place, a HANS will work effectively and as per design.

Im 6'5" and could hit my head onthe stock B pillar. Im not convinced a roll bar would be more dangerous than stock for me. Now a cage with full roof and Apillars, thats probably worse but still i could still hit my head there without the bars so, where do we draw the line? Could a cage help on the street ever? Would it hurt more than stock? Hard to tell. I think id rather have it
Old 01-27-2016, 10:20 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

It is unsafe to use a hans without a roll cage....correct?

Why would a HANS without a roll cage be unsafe?

Put a racing seat in the car. Use a fixed seat mount. Put a harness bar in the car. Use a 6 point harness. Use a HANS, R3 or whatever head and neck restraint system. Make sure you wear it.

When you're done unbolt the seat mounts / seats and stick the stock seat(s) back in. Simple.

This is my Wife's old car. She was fine with what I have laid out above. She did not move. The seats and harnesses fit her perfectly. Try not to do this to yours.

Get notified of new replies

To rollbar/cage on a daily...

Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I find seats and harnesses to really be a pain for street driving. I rarely use it on the strew with just those. I rode in a C5 with a full cage and nacar door type bars. It was a process to get in and out. I wouldn't see that lasting more than a week before your shopping for some beater commuter car. Also, anyone else that rides in your car (wife, girlfriend, kids, parents) will hate it!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:56 AM
jwebsta32
Racer

I have omp HTE-R in my car and the roll bar/ half cage and I don't mind it for street drivign. Sure, you have a different approach to getting in and out of the car, but it's not horrible, give and take. I also left the stock 3 point harness in and snaked it through the holes in the seat.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:07 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm curious why you think HANS can only be run with a cage?

As I understand it, the HANS is independent of the cage itself. I can't imagine keeping your head locked to your shoulders and protecting your neck would ever cause a problem, whether there's a cage there or not.

Quick Reply: rollbar/cage on a daily...