Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on kirkey seat and race harness install.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by jtswenson
I live in northern MN. Not much around here for guys racing c6s I bet. There's a few guys last year running them but they were stock interiors.
How far away from the Minneapolis area are you? It might be worth your while to call/visit Doug Rippie Motorsports (DRM) in Waverly, MN and see what they recommend. I am sure there are some racers in northern Minnesota that have the kinds of seats you are looking at. To get an idea of what they feel like the seat doesn't necessarily need to be installed in a Corvette. Somebody has to go to the track at Brainerd.

Bill
Old 01-29-2016, 06:16 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Photobucket is down at the moment, this is all I have. Rear of the seat is bolted straight to the mount. I drilled access holes to the front bolts with a hole saw through the top front of the seat.

I bolt the base and the lapbelt bar in first, then the seat.Nuts are welded on the bottom of the mount.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 01-29-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 PM
jtswenson
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Yes, have had some big gentleman sitting in the seat. One of the things about an aluminum seat is the sides do expand. I believe Kirkey and Ultrashield use the same rule for sizing their seats. Sit on a bench and have somebody use a tape measure to measure the distance from one side of your butt to the other where it meets the bench. What ever is read on the tape measure is the size ordered for the seat. If you are a 16.5 a 17 inch seat will be a little loose and a 16 will be a little tight. When I sized my seats I weighed around 217 lbs and stood 5'10".

My seats are the Ultrashield Pro Road Race Seats Part Number 64306 (not sure last number is a 6 or a 9 from my picture, the seats are in the garage attic so I can't just look at them). The Pro Road Race seat is almost identical to the Kirkey 47. The current $490 price includes a full black seat cover. I think the Kirkey price for the 47 with a full cover is 476. The big difference is whether you want a 10,15 or 20 degree layback. The layback is something to consider but you can compensate for it by choosing how to mount the seat on the rails. For example if you look at the 20 degree layback driver seat and 10 degree layback passenger seat when installed in my car the seat backs are at pretty much the same vertical angle. The difference is the seat bottom. The 10 degree seat bottom raises up a fair amount in the front and basically raises the knees of the occupant. That is what I meant by it folding taller passengers. I can get a wider range of passengers in the car with that seat back although it might not be as comfortable for some as a 20 degree would be. They definitely will not slide forward in the seat since it basically cups there butt in a recess.

It is a lot to think about but I spent several years working out what I wanted after I got the seats. The advantage of aluminum as one racer told me is if it doesn't fit just right get a saw out and cut it to fit or bend it to get it to fit. Can't do that with a fiberglass seat.

Bill
I probably haven't given enough consideration to layback. I don't want my knees in the steering wheel if I go with the 15 degree kirkey. I'm also planning to get a racing steering wheel as I would like it to come back further towards me, I think I might do a quick release wheel to help with getting in and out easier. That's probably a good question for another thread.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:03 PM
jtswenson
Racer

How far away from the Minneapolis area are you? It might be worth your while to call/visit Doug Rippie Motorsports (DRM) in Waverly, MN and see what they recommend. I am sure there are some racers in northern Minnesota that have the kinds of seats you are looking at. To get an idea of what they feel like the seat doesn't necessarily need to be installed in a Corvette. Somebody has to go to the track at Brainerd.

Bill
I'm about 3 hours from Minneapolis. I go to Brainerd myself, but I don't think I've seen many aluminum seats in these cars. Most folks around here drive these cars on the street too, where I will be very rarely driving on the street. With -3 degrees camber, it's going to stay mostly on track. What do you know about Doug Rippie Motorsports?
Old 01-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

They used to be one of the top rated Corvette Modifiers. They still sell the DRM tuned Bilsteins for the C6Z. Doug built a lot of race cars over the years. Randy moved to North Carolina and runs their parts business from there.

Bill
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

To illustrate how tight the 17 inch seat is in a C6 installation I am including some picture that may not show up as well in my installation document.
I have two 18" Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seats in my 2006 C6 mounted in HardBar seat rails. The outboard shoulder wings leave an impression in the door cards (a permanent one it turns out).

If you do not position the belts and buckles correctly when you install the seat, you will be removing the seat to fix that error as there is no room on the tunnel side.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:18 AM
jtswenson
Racer

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I have two 18" Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seats in my 2006 C6 mounted in HardBar seat rails. The outboard shoulder wings leave an impression in the door cards (a permanent one it turns out).

If you do not position the belts and buckles correctly when you install the seat, you will be removing the seat to fix that error as there is no room on the tunnel side.
Great tip! Thanks! I think I will just opt for one race seat and I'll either trim back that shoulder wing or bend it in slightly.

Does anyone have links to these hardbar seat rails everyone keeps talking about? Thanks again to everyone. These forums make this process so much easier and less frustrating. Thanks for paving the way everyone!
Old 02-02-2016, 08:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jtswenson
Great tip! Thanks! I think I will just opt for one race seat and I'll either trim back that shoulder wing or bend it in slightly.

Does anyone have links to these hardbar seat rails everyone keeps talking about? Thanks again to everyone. These forums make this process so much easier and less frustrating. Thanks for paving the way everyone!
Hardbar went out of business in 2014. The closest product I can find that is equivalent to them can be seen at this link: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...jmo9optgsdk466

The only thing that isn't pictured here are the required stud extenders that Gary used to sell so the rails could be mounted in the car. I believe Marrad still provides stud extenders http://www.arizenracingsports.com/pr...asp?prod=M18SE .

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-02-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:09 AM
jtswenson
Racer

Hardbar went out of business in 2014. The closest product I can find that is equivalent to them can be seen at this link: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...jmo9optgsdk466

The only thing that isn't pictured here are the required stud extenders that Gary used to sell so the rails could be mounted in the car. I believe Marrad still provides stud extenders http://www.arizenracingsports.com/pr...asp?prod=M18SE .

Bill
Awesome info! Thanks!
Old 02-03-2016, 08:22 AM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Bill
We are expecting our aluminum rails back in stock this month. The stud extenders are included in the hardware package.

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail....d=C5C6MASR-T3F
Old 02-11-2016, 04:04 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vetteworks will be manufacturing the original Hardbar seat rails kit within a month.
Dan
Old 02-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by vettedan
Vetteworks will be manufacturing the original Hardbar seat rails kit within a month.
Dan
Good to know. They are about the most adaptable rails that have been designed. I probably won't be a Customer (trying to make the stock Competition seats work) but you might want to look at a version with the distance between the seat mounting holes adjusted just a little so they fit the C7. It would be better than buying the C5/C6 version and using a drill to enlarge those holes.

By the way the Shark Bar is installed and looking good.

Bill

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on kirkey seat and race harness install.