Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to disable DRIVER air bag

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 03:14 PM
ponycar
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default how to disable DRIVER air bag

I have searched this topic using different key words to no avail. I have a dedicated track car, not street legal. It is a caged C5 with 6pt. harnesses. The car still has an active driver air bag. I want to know how to disable the air bag. Can I just pull the fuse? will the display show a fault code? I will eventually go to a smaller steering wheel due to the fact that I sit very close to the wheel and have too little room between my legs and the stock wheel. I cannot afford that this season For now I just want to disable the bag. Suggestions please. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:52 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Why take the chance on just removing the fuse? Disconnect the battery, unplug the airbag at the base of the steering column then remove the airbag from the steering wheel. No airbag no danger of it going off
Old 01-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Pulling the fuse and waiting one minute will let the firing potential discharge. You can pull the battery ground cable and wait the one minute as well. No sense in doing both.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To how to disable DRIVER air bag

Quick Reply: how to disable DRIVER air bag