Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange question.. after a weekend at Rd Atl I need help understanding tires.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:44 PM
Phoenix64
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Strange question.. after a weekend at Rd Atl I need help understanding tires.

I'm not worried about which is faster just wondering which will be easier to drive. When I say easy to drive I mean how well the tire handles slip angles.

I recently did two weekends at Rd Atl on 295/315R888's and them on 245 MPSS square. The R888's were much easier to drive because when it started to slide it did so more slowly and progressively. The 245 MPSS was twitchy and once you started to slide it went away into a bigger slide much faster. I know a softer compound will be easier to drive, but how does width play into the equation?

I'm thinking in terms of comparing a 255 A7 VS 295 MPSS or similar 300TW tire.

What about a 255 A7 vs 295 A7

Which will be easier to drive?
Which will carry slip angle more easily?
Does a wide tire like more or less slip angle compared to a skinny tire?
Which (wider+harder or softer+skinner) will suffer more on a camber challenged daily driver?

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:13 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The A7 is going to have much higher grip limits, they are generally pretty forgiving at the limit, but if you aren't used to them, you just have to realize that the limits are really high, so things are happening faster and you have to get on top of everything quicker.

255/295 hard to compare without knowing what width wheels they will be on, the weight of your car, etc. Hoosier's old A6 255/18 offering was nearly as wide as their 295/18 offering.

Last edited by drivinhard; 02-07-2016 at 08:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bent2 (06-12-2020)
Old 02-08-2016, 05:17 PM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If quicker lap times are not an interest. Go with a tire that fits your budget, something close to factory size. Slip angles are in the learning curve, so if you use the same tire, you will learn to get the most from it. The more important detail, is to learn the tires sweet spot for hot pressures and temps. You manage those and you'll be quick on just about any tire these days that handles heat well.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange question.. after a weekend at Rd Atl I need help understanding tires.

Quick Reply: Strange question.. after a weekend at Rd Atl I need help understanding tires.