Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track car

Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Look into purpose-built race cars, check out an ASA/GTA car, it is a tube frame race car. Built like a tank. I'm biased, I run one....used to have a '13 street Z06 and wanted full-on safety, i.e., a race car. That is the route I went. Many options out there to fulfill your wants/needs. What is your budget? Where are you located?
I agree. A tube frame car with the appropriate components is the best and safest way to do it. It is also easier and cheaper to repair if you run into something.

I had a former ASA Monte Carlo with a Howe chassis and a LS1 with electronic fuel injection using a racing GM computer. All the components are usually top notch racing components. I had a lot of fun with this car.

If you decide to buy a former ASA car, it probably be best to stay with the 15" inch wheels because you can read n the cheaper Goodyear's instead of the excessive Hoosiers or Avons. The only drawback is the brakes, small rotors. If you use the DTC 70 pads, that will help.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

This thread is getting really confused.

The OP needs to make a decision. Is he going to go racing - or does he want to run track days.

Track days and racing are on two different planets.

Any car will do for track days. I just drive around and have fun at track days.

When your race you pick a class and then pick the fastest car in that class.

If the OP is like most folks he'll do 3 events and never come back. The average person quits running track events rather quickly. That's why it's silly to spend money on a prepared car before you've even been on track.

Richard Newton
Old 02-06-2016, 10:29 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by udwdreams
Hi folks!

Considering the Corvette as a potential track car. What's a very solid base to start with? Checked out ads in racing junk, but $80k is way over what I intend to spend for this, so looks like it's going to be an incremental build.
I'd rather start with a more or less recent base (e.g C6), but beyond that I'm not sure what's a solid base. If I have to change everything from brakes to suspension to make it track worthy, better look elsewhere.
You have been given good advice.

No matter what, your going to have, you have to drive with an instructor before you need to worry about SFI roll cages!! [ $2,000 is entry level six point] .

SCCA and NASA makes you prove your not a complete idiot, and understand the very large differences between street and track...

So, take what you got,, get the "A" on the track before you but the "cart before the horse".

I am selling our Track C4. Look at what is it that.

We have $15,000.00 invested in making it as fast as the C5z... But a lot of that cost was doing our best not to get dead. To be "safe" costs.

And few C5's are 'stock' street either. +++$

Those that are cavalier??... Read up on the NASA event at Road Atlanta last September... sobering............
Old 02-06-2016, 11:16 AM
insertclevername
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Spec Miata
Old 02-06-2016, 11:48 AM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi folks!

Considering the Corvette as a potential track car. What's a very solid base to start with? Checked out ads in racing junk, but $80k is way over what I intend to spend for this, so looks like it's going to be an incremental build.
I'd rather start with a more or less recent base (e.g C6), but beyond that I'm not sure what's a solid base. If I have to change everything from brakes to suspension to make it track worthy, better look elsewhere.

Not a Corvette but I have had quite a few track Vettes
I will be selling this car
725 Horsepower
16 hours on motor
Race Logic w. 2 Cameras & GPS
Full Cage
Fire Suppression System
Penske Shocks
Quaife Differential
New Tremec 6060 Trans
New Race Seat
New Fuel Cell
(2) set of Forgeline wheels
over 120k invested

$45,000

1:46s @ Texas World Speedway
2:22s @ COTA (should do teens w. tires)

Last edited by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR; 02-06-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi folks!

I did exactly what you are going through and ended up with a C5 Z06, it is plenty of car and a very good "base" or starting point. The only reason I went C5 Z is because the C6 was more money than I was willing to spend on a hobby I was just trying out. After 2 HPDE seasons I added Toyo R888s, Johnny Oconnell sway bars and RideTech HQ shocks, Raybestos brake pads, and DRM stainless brake lines, the C6s pass me on the straights but we're pretty evenly matched in the twisties. I don't think you can go wrong with a modern Corvette for track days.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 02-06-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR

Not a Corvette but I have had quite a few track Vettes
I will be selling this car
725 Horsepower
16 hours on motor
Race Logic w. 2 Cameras & GPS
Full Cage
Fire Suppression System
Penske Shocks
Quaife Differential
New Tremec 6060 Trans
New Race Seat
New Fuel Cell
(2) set of Forgeline wheels
over 120k invested

$45,000

1:46s @ Texas World Speedway
2:22s @ COTA (should do teens w. tires)
Cool car! Was this car originally an "ACR-X" car (factory cage etc)?
Thanks,
Old 02-08-2016, 03:23 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Cool car! Was this car originally an "ACR-X" car (factory cage etc)?
Thanks,
No Sir, Dodge only made 25 of those and I know of only 1 for sale at $95,000.00

This car was built from a 96 GTS
Old 02-08-2016, 04:48 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
No offense, but either the dude in the race car 1) can't drive or 2) has a real crappy race car or 3) you're amazing and your car is not at all stock. The difference between a real race car and street car is immense (I.e. a lot more than 2 seconds, but then again if you're two seconds off the pace in a race you've brought the wrong knife to the gun fight)

I have a C5Z which is a great platform. If I had to do it over again though I might have looked into a C6 Grandsport.

Regardless of what you do, if this is going to be a track car only and trailered to the track I would look into purchasing an already built racecar. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and want to spend it all in building a real race car. Solid race winners can be bought for the high 20s. I've spent $50k (not including the car) on mine in the last 2 years and would probably be lucky to get 30Gs for it. Pretty sure there only thing on touched on my car is the frame, and I still have to do a dry sump and real shocks this season.

im with you there. cost of car included I probably have 80k in my c5 coupe. besides the motor and aero, I could buy it all for 20-25k

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track car