Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track car

Old 02-02-2016, 12:16 AM
udwdreams
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track car

Hi folks!

Considering the Corvette as a potential track car. What's a very solid base to start with? Checked out ads in racing junk, but $80k is way over what I intend to spend for this, so looks like it's going to be an incremental build.
I'd rather start with a more or less recent base (e.g C6), but beyond that I'm not sure what's a solid base. If I have to change everything from brakes to suspension to make it track worthy, better look elsewhere.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:55 AM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Get a c5z06. Put a radiator, diff cooler, accusump and stop tech kit in it with some seats and you are golden with stock everything else.

I just ran within 2 seconds of a full race car lap record with a bone stock one 300 pounds overweight for the class and on 285 tires instead of 335/345's. Stock shocks. Stock springs. Stock bushings. Stock bars. Stock motor. Stock trans. Stock wheels.

The race car had wings, splitters, was stripped out, nothing stock anywhere on it. The c5z is just that well tuned of a car.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:55 AM
theseal
Drifting

Ps. Forget a c6 or 7. Nowhere near the car.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:02 AM
udwdreams
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by theseal
Ps. Forget a c6 or 7. Nowhere near the car.
Thanks for the advice. How much does it cost to install a SFI roll cage on this? The car needs a full log book, so fire system, window nets, etc.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:05 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I would give some serious consideration to a Miata for track events.

Richard Newton
Old 02-02-2016, 08:39 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
Get a c5z06. Put a radiator, diff cooler, accusump and stop tech kit in it with some seats and you are golden with stock everything else.

I just ran within 2 seconds of a full race car lap record with a bone stock one 300 pounds overweight for the class and on 285 tires instead of 335/345's. Stock shocks. Stock springs. Stock bushings. Stock bars. Stock motor. Stock trans. Stock wheels.

The race car had wings, splitters, was stripped out, nothing stock anywhere on it. The c5z is just that well tuned of a car.
No offense, but either the dude in the race car 1) can't drive or 2) has a real crappy race car or 3) you're amazing and your car is not at all stock. The difference between a real race car and street car is immense (I.e. a lot more than 2 seconds, but then again if you're two seconds off the pace in a race you've brought the wrong knife to the gun fight)

I have a C5Z which is a great platform. If I had to do it over again though I might have looked into a C6 Grandsport.

Regardless of what you do, if this is going to be a track car only and trailered to the track I would look into purchasing an already built racecar. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and want to spend it all in building a real race car. Solid race winners can be bought for the high 20s. I've spent $50k (not including the car) on mine in the last 2 years and would probably be lucky to get 30Gs for it. Pretty sure there only thing on touched on my car is the frame, and I still have to do a dry sump and real shocks this season.

Last edited by StreetSpeed; 02-02-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:39 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by udwdreams
Hi folks!

Considering the Corvette as a potential track car. What's a very solid base to start with? Checked out ads in racing junk, but $80k is way over what I intend to spend for this, so looks like it's going to be an incremental build.
I'd rather start with a more or less recent base (e.g C6), but beyond that I'm not sure what's a solid base. If I have to change everything from brakes to suspension to make it track worthy, better look elsewhere.
Are you just going to HPDE? - any corvette will do
Are you going to time trial? - buy a BUILT car
Are you going wheel to wheel racing? - buy a built car

And by built car I mean any car with a log book that passes a detail inspection.

Now why didn't I list what Corvette to get?
Because you need to figure out which events you are going to want to attend, what the car counts are in each class. Pick a car in a class that has decent car counts and looks like it would be fun! Talk to the racers, sit in a few cars, then decide.

I Time Trial a 92 Corvette
I instruct using my 2012 v6 Camaro
I wish I could pick up a new C7

If I had the funds I'd pick up one of the already built cars in my region (mostly c5s) and give the c4 away. If I had an unlimited budget I'd get someone to build me a c7
Old 02-02-2016, 10:45 AM
jtmck
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Are you just going to HPDE? - any corvette will do
Are you going to time trial? - buy a BUILT car
Are you going wheel to wheel racing? - buy a built car

And by built car I mean any car with a log book that passes a detail inspection.

Now why didn't I list what Corvette to get?
Because you need to figure out which events you are going to want to attend, what the car counts are in each class. Pick a car in a class that has decent car counts and looks like it would be fun! Talk to the racers, sit in a few cars, then decide.

I Time Trial a 92 Corvette
I instruct using my 2012 v6 Camaro
I wish I could pick up a new C7

If I had the funds I'd pick up one of the already built cars in my region (mostly c5s) and give the c4 away. If I had an unlimited budget I'd get someone to build me a c7

I have a 98 ST3/TT3 Corvette, prepared for 2016.
price is 29,500.00

You can see the results at Midwest and Great Lakes tracks.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for the advice. How much does it cost to install a SFI roll cage on this? The car needs a full log book, so fire system, window nets, etc.
It sounds like you are looking for a race car versus a track car - big difference. What are you really looking for / planning to do? Post that up and then the collective brain trust here can help you spend your money!
Old 02-02-2016, 11:29 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Hi folks!

While I agree with the posts above, I recommend that you do a thorough analysis of your personal goals for track usage. If you are only going to occasionally track a street car, then focus on street manners and look at a cheap street C5Z06. However, if you are going to track serriously and occasionally or never street, then I recommend a properly set up RACE car (C5 or C6 Z06) purchased from a known Forum vendor like Phoenix Racing. It will be FAR far cheaper (better use of your money) to buy an already caged and set up (winning) race car, with all the coolers and tweaks (and set up book for each track) than for you to buy a street car and convert it www.yellowvette.com

Last edited by 63Corvette; 02-02-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:00 PM
theseal
Drifting

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
While I agree with the posts above, I recommend that you do a thorough analysis of your personal goals for track usage. If you are only going to occasionally track a street car, then focus on street manners and look at a cheap street C5Z06. However, if you are going to track serriously and occasionally or never street, then I recommend a properly set up RACE car (C5 or C6 Z06) purchased from a known Forum vendor like Phoenix Racing. It will be FAR far cheaper (better use of your money) to buy an already caged and set up (winning) race car, with all the coolers and tweaks (and set up book for each track) than for you to buy a street car and convert it www.yellowvette.com
Good post and true. But diminishing returns does set in, and a c5z is your best entry bang for the buck street car.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:03 PM
theseal
Drifting

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
No offense, but either the dude in the race car 1) can't drive or 2) has a real crappy race car or 3) you're amazing and your car is not at all stock. The difference between a real race car and street car is immense (I.e. a lot more than 2 seconds, but then again if you're two seconds off the pace in a race you've brought the wrong knife to the gun fight)

I have a C5Z which is a great platform. If I had to do it over again though I might have looked into a C6 Grandsport.

Regardless of what you do, if this is going to be a track car only and trailered to the track I would look into purchasing an already built racecar. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and want to spend it all in building a real race car. Solid race winners can be bought for the high 20s. I've spent $50k (not including the car) on mine in the last 2 years and would probably be lucky to get 30Gs for it. Pretty sure there only thing on touched on my car is the frame, and I still have to do a dry sump and real shocks this season.
I'm not driving as well these days as I have at times. Need to work on that. But I am still quick. The biggest deal are the driver and the tires. After that comes basic dynamics and limits. Then the details take over.

I have not driven all the c6 models, but certainly my 08 z06's are nowhere near the car my c5z is.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm selling my C6 race car for $36k, check out the classifieds or pm me.

Last edited by JerryTX; 02-03-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:21 AM
udwdreams
3rd Gear

Will be for track use only, never on the street. Only looking for either a race-ready or a solid platform to start. Buying something already built saves money, if you can trust the people who did the build. If it's a known shop, great. If it's a DIY job, no thanks. Also I'd pass on anything with superchargers or other power mods.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:13 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmck
price is 29,500.00

I have been on track with this car...wicked fast. Handles like it is on rails and Jim knows how to build a car. Cannot go wrong with purchase of this car best bank for your buck.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:35 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Will be for track use only, never on the street. Only looking for either a race-ready or a solid platform to start. Buying something already built saves money, if you can trust the people who did the build. If it's a known shop, great. If it's a DIY job, no thanks. Also I'd pass on anything with superchargers or other power mods.
Look into purpose-built race cars, check out an ASA/GTA car, it is a tube frame race car. Built like a tank. I'm biased, I run one....used to have a '13 street Z06 and wanted full-on safety, i.e., a race car. That is the route I went. Many options out there to fulfill your wants/needs. What is your budget? Where are you located?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:14 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by jtmck
price is 29,500.00

Jim, you haven't sold that one yet? Are you hiding it under cover somewhere? I have seen some nice track cars change hands for decent prices but less than $30K for that car is a steal.

Get notified of new replies

To Track car

Old 02-04-2016, 09:53 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-for-sale.html
Old 02-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ad-course.html
Old 02-04-2016, 07:50 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

If it's a known shop, great. If it's a DIY job, no thanks.
Couldn't be more wrong. The worst cars that I've ever seen have come from big name shops.

-promptly unsubscribing from this nonsensical thread....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track car