Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake upgrade - gathering parts before bbk install

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:55 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Brake upgrade - gathering parts before bbk install

Car is a base model C6

Tires are Bridgestone RE11 in base size

Going with fnsl6r front calipers and base rear calipers (large bore piston rears - not the z51)

Im trying to decide on a pad compound to go with as well as find more information on the nord locks that hardbar used to sell for the wilwood rotors

Pads:

Im looking for something that will work on the street but hold up to the higher heat for track use. Unfortunately its difficult finding decent options that will work for the above calipers and wont cost a ridiculous amount. Noise and dust are not a problem

Im considering Cobalt XR2 or 3, Carbotech XP10 or 8, or Wilwood H

The intent is to step up from HP+ pads that Ive been running front and rear - if one of these compounds would work on the front axle with HP+ on the rear, it would really help cut down costs, however I realize this is not always a good idea and would be open to swapping the rears out if the pricing is reasonable

Nord locks:

Im not sure if Hardbar sold them in stainless or just the coated steel, what id/od they were, and what torque to set them at... I know the wilwood bolts are 1/4" but not much else on the head size or the thickness of the washers wilwood provides (which Id be replacing with the locking washers).

Thanks!

Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I would strongly advise against the use of Poly H pads (or any race pad but I won't speak for the others) as a street pad.

There are are street pads and there are race pads. There are not true dual purpose pads. Proper temperature range, temperature response etc is just not intended for cross use. Please consider "doing it right" and have a proper set of pads for both.

You'll want a combo of pads that work together also. Some pads may not play nice with others so do your homework with brands. Be cautious of cross use of brands.
The following 2 users liked this post by Todd TCE:
el es tu (02-02-2016), Sox-Fan (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Car is a base model C6

Going with fnsl6r front calipers and base rear calipers (large bore piston rears - not the z51)

Im trying to decide on a pad compound to go with as well as find more information on the nord locks that hardbar used to sell for the wilwood rotors

Pads:

Im looking for something that will work on the street but hold up to the higher heat for track use. Unfortunately its difficult finding decent options that will work for the above calipers and wont cost a ridiculous amount. Noise and dust are not a problem

The intent is to step up from HP+ pads that Ive been running front and rear - if one of these compounds would work on the front axle with HP+ on the rear, it would really help cut down costs, however I realize this is not always a good idea and would be open to swapping the rears out if the pricing is reasonable

Nord locks:

Im not sure if Hardbar sold them in stainless or just the coated steel, what id/od they were, and what torque to set them at... I know the wilwood bolts are 1/4" but not much else on the head size or the thickness of the washers wilwood provides (which Id be replacing with the locking washers).

Thanks!

How many tack days have you had? How hard do you run? How much "street" dirving do you do?
For many, I would recommend Stoptech Street PERFORMANCE PADS.
They are cheap, they are good to 1300 degrees, they are quiet, and they dust very little.
For Track, I recommend Cobalt Friction XR3 for both track and some street, or XR1 or 2 for track only. They have very aggressive bite hot or cold. They do NOT require bedding or burnishing, but they are expensive and even the XR3 compound is noisy on the street.

Last edited by 63Corvette; 02-02-2016 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
el es tu (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Car is a base model C6

Pads:

Nord locks:

Thanks!

first I'd use Wildwood pads, B compound for track, and the BP-10 for street
it is easy to change with the wilwoods just pull the bridge bolt push the pads back & swap.
Nordlock really are not needed here a wildwood supplies a 12pt Jet nut
el es tu (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Car is a base model C6

Pads:

Nord locks:

Thanks!

I would go 10 front & 8 rear. This can be driven on the street with no issue and will work for you on track no problem. I would not mix pad manufactures even though you could get away with the HP+ in the rear with the 10.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
el es tu (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 02:29 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Thanks for the replies!

The HP+ is pretty cheap so Ill look into that or the Wilwood Poly E for the street (does anyone have experience in terms of which of the two has more initial torque?). Then a separate set of proper pads for competition.

My goal is to do some sort of open/special class event at a hillclimb like pagoda/duryea, as well as a few track days this year if finances and my work schedule allow

Why couldnt golf or baseball be fun? Driving is my only hobby Ive kept with since I was younger and every year I realize more and more how much cheaper ANYTHING else would have been.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:09 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

The HP+ is pretty cheap so Ill look into that or the Wilwood Poly E for the street (does anyone have experience in terms of which of the two has more initial torque?). Then a separate set of proper pads for competition.

My goal is to do some sort of open/special class event at a hillclimb like pagoda/duryea, as well as a few track days this year if finances and my work schedule allow

Why couldnt golf or baseball be fun? Driving is my only hobby Ive kept with since I was younger and every year I realize more and more how much cheaper ANYTHING else would have been.

I have used the BP-10 on the rear on track
But I'd at least go to BP-20 on the front
The B pads really eat the discs at lower temps
( a,b, h ) are different from BP pads so if you use the track pads switch when you are done with the event
el es tu (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:58 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Thanks for the replies!

Here is a proven combo.

Carbotech XP10 front XP8 rear. This is based off you are using a street tire and not R comp. If R comp than 12 & 10. The Carbotech have plenty of initial bite and great modulation while being rotor friendly. Carbotech also has a street pad the 1521 compound which you can swap to for street use and since all Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other all you need to do is swap pads on track days and go no re-bedding or changing rotors nothing put them on and go and yes the XP series can be driven on the street so, yes you can drive them to and from the track with out issue except for noise and dust.

If interested please let me know and I will be happy to set you up. Pricing is below.

XP10 need the exact caliper? XP8 $166 Less 5%.

1521 Front $148 1521 Rear $128 Less 5%.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
el es tu (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I used to run the Wilwood Front and Stock rear on my 03Z. The only difference is I had the wide SL6 that took the 7420 pad Vs the 7416 you will have.

I used Wilwood H pads front and rear for the track, E pads for autocrossing and Q pads for the street. This combo worked well and costs were not excessive. BP10 pads are also good on the street. The Hs are hard to beat on the track. They work well at high temps have a fair amount of initial torque on application and last fairly long although the 7416 won't last as long as the much thicker 7420. The A pads work well also but they have a lot higher initial torque and may be difficult to use on track. I tried BP20s on my C6Z with W6A calipers and was hugely dissatisfied with them. They worked on the street but a new set of pads lasted less than a day at Sebring when I ran there with street tires. They went right down to the backing plate and I was taking it easy.

H's will go for days doing the same thing and slow the car better to boot.

Bill
el es tu (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 05:11 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

In Wilwood land

H pad is king for the track

B is a good choice for track for those on less aggressive or sticky tires where H may over power the tire grip and make for difficult modulation

A is more a 'now' hard core race pad, great if you can swing it but cold they'll eat a rotor in no time

E is (as Bill said) a good AX pad and can be streetable with some noise (D pads are nicer actaully- I have them all now)

Q pads were an on again/off again problem for spirited customers, thus replaced by the BP10 and 20 options

Excessive heat issues with the narrower 16mm pad can be addressed by the addition of our Ti heat shields behind the pad which will substantially reduce heat transfer to the pistons and caliper body- fluid.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 02-02-2016 at 05:18 PM.
el es tu (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 08:46 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I run the Wilwood H pads in my Aero6 calipers which are similar to your fnsl6r calipers and couldn't be happier. Excellent bite that is easy to modulate and they are wearing great. I ran Carbotech before and was not happy with their higher wear rate. Both pads were pretty easy on the rotors as long as you keep them in their designed temp range. Like others here have suggested, I'd get a dedicated pad for the street as well. What size rotors are you going with in front?
el es tu (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

14" - I made templates for almost every potential brake kit that looked like it could fit and the 14" FNSL6R is the only one that will remotely work under the base 5 spoke C6 wheels (early c6 style - not the Gumbies).

Old 02-03-2016, 10:08 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

14" - I made templates for almost every potential brake kit that looked like it could fit and the 14" FNSL6R is the only one that will remotely work under the base 5 spoke C6 wheels (early c6 style - not the Gumbies).

Going with 14" will work out well for you I'm running the Wilwood Aero6 14.25" kit (from TCE) with the stock rears and the braking is excellent for the entire session. Many go with smaller BBK setups and regret it later. I have yet to find a situation where the stock rears are a hindrance to overall braking on the track with my nearly stock suspension and R comps.

Last edited by ZedO6; 02-03-2016 at 10:25 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake upgrade - gathering parts before bbk install

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade - gathering parts before bbk install