Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 C5 FRC Suspension Advice

Old 02-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Millennium FRC
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default 2000 C5 FRC Suspension Advice

I haven't been able to get a single recommendation after a few days in the C5 Tech section so I figured I'd ask here.

I just purchased a 2000 FRC a few weeks back. I want to work on the suspension first before anything else. It still has the stock Z51 springs. This car probably won't see a track more than a few times a year. This will be my daily driver but I don't care about ride quality. Amazing handling and getting rid of the annoying "jack hammer" effect when going over bumps is first priority.

From the great things I've read about them, and the cheap prices from TireRack, I'm leaning towards Bilstein Sport shocks, part# 24-011778 (front) and 24-011785 (rear). Opinions on these shocks?

So my main question is, what sway bars do you guys recommend to go with stock Z51 springs and Bilstein Sport shocks?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:52 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

I've got a '00 FRC, and have tried a friend's stock 97 (non-Z51) with Bilstein Sport Shocks vs mine with Z51 shocks. His was a stiffer ride, but didn't seem to handle any better on the back roads than mine.

Then I changed out mine at 100K miles to a set of '04 Z06 shocks. A stiffer ride, didn't seem quite as stiff as the Bilsteins. However, the car handled much better at my autocross events, which were held on some fairly bumpy asphalt.

I think that, if you want to stay with non-adjustable shocks, either the Bilsteins or '04 Z06 shocks (are they even available anymore?) will suit you fine.

If you want to go adjustable, then it's a brave new world.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 02-02-2016 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:02 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 830 Posts

Highly recommend the T1 bars;
DRM-valved Bilstein shocks have a great reputation.
Then invest in seat time! Have fun!
Old 02-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I am very happy with my Van Steel sway bars, adjustable front and rear. I have them paired with Doug Rippie valved Bilsteins on my Z06 and like the setup.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Matt_27
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The proven, multiple time SCCA winning street/stock class C5 setup is single adjustable Koni shocks with a Stranoparts 1-5/16" front sway bar. Bilstein shocks whether DRM valved or not simply do not provide enough damping force for best handling and are non-adjustable. Adding proper damping and roll control with those two products makes a huge difference in handling, second only to sticky tires.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:32 PM
Millennium FRC
Racer

How do you guys feel about the Hotchkis sport sway bars with the Bilstein Sports and Z51 springs?
Old 02-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Millennium FRC
How do you guys feel about the Hotchkis sport sway bars with the Bilstein Sports and Z51 springs?
I'v had great luck with Hotchkis bars, and the Bilstein's are a good choice, as for the Jack Hamer bounce? Make sure that your not to low and riding on the bump stops first. You would be amazed at how a 3/4 raise will return control to your suspension.

But if you can go for he Koni Sports you do get some tuning ability.

Mark

Last edited by Moto One; 02-02-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:12 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt_27
The proven, multiple time SCCA winning street/stock class C5 setup is single adjustable Koni shocks with a Stranoparts 1-5/16" front sway bar. Bilstein shocks whether DRM valved or not simply do not provide enough damping force for best handling and are non-adjustable. Adding proper damping and roll control with those two products makes a huge difference in handling, second only to sticky tires.

You can actually go fast or feel like it. Proven setups are the way to go.

Koni is my vote. I've put a set on both my sports cars. (Corvette and Miata).
Old 02-02-2016, 08:50 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Just like I mentioned in the other thread. Try giving Sam a call http://www.stranoparts.com/

He's had some part in most all of the fast autox c5's on this forum and will be able to help you chose a setup based on what actually works.

If you're just looking to slap the cheapest parts on your car be prepared to spend the money a second time when you upgrade again.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Reggie Dunlop
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Millennium FRC
I haven't been able to get a single recommendation after a few days in the C5 Tech section so I figured I'd ask here.

I just purchased a 2000 FRC a few weeks back. I want to work on the suspension first before anything else. It still has the stock Z51 springs. This car probably won't see a track more than a few times a year. This will be my daily driver but I don't care about ride quality. Amazing handling and getting rid of the annoying "jack hammer" effect when going over bumps is first priority.

From the great things I've read about them, and the cheap prices from TireRack, I'm leaning towards Bilstein Sport shocks, part# 24-011778 (front) and 24-011785 (rear). Opinions on these shocks?

So my main question is, what sway bars do you guys recommend to go with stock Z51 springs and Bilstein Sport shocks?

Thanks.
Are you Autocrossing or running a road course?
If road course, I've run the Sports and the DRM version and don't believe a novice will notice the difference between the two. My next move was to the RideTech HQs. Once you understand how adjustments affect your car's performance I doubt you would switch back to nonadjustable shocks. I can not comment on the Autocrossing as I do not participate in those.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:21 PM
Millennium FRC
Racer

Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop
Are you Autocrossing or running a road course?
This is my first Chevy that doesn't handle like a wheel barrow full of bricks (late 60's Chevelles and Camaros) so I plan on hitting the road course at least once but I can't predict how often I'll do it because I never have before. Not sure if I'll love it or not.

Maybe I should hit the track once and see? If I'm an instant addict, wait and save for some coil overs or a T1 set up.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:30 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

If you've never been to a track ever the stock Z51 parts don't suck. try it out and see how you like it before deciding how much you're willing to spend.

That will make the biggest difference in the recommendations you get.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:44 PM
AND0
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

High Pressure gas shocks like the Bilsteins and I assume like the factory shocks do require a little break in time before they smooth out a bit.
Low pressure konis are pretty much the same from the start,
so for a fair comparison give them some drive time

Get notified of new replies

To 2000 C5 FRC Suspension Advice

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 C5 FRC Suspension Advice