Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 gas pedal mount

Old 02-06-2016, 05:24 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default C4 gas pedal mount

I began today to install an aluminum gas pedal mount for my 1993 Ruby, which I use for track days. As you know, the stock mount is plastic, and does not hold up well under the stress of heel and toe shifting.

Upon removing the stock pedal assembly (shown in photos below), I notice that it has an angled piece attached to the outside of the mount. The right side of the angle faces against the mount, with two bolt holes. The section perpendicular to the mount fits against the bottom center of the pedal lever (below the pivot pin) and acts as a stop, possibly to prevent excess pull on the throttle cable.

My aftermarket aluminum mount has no such stop.

Is the lack of a stop a problem? Is the throttle cable protected from excess pull on the opposite end?

Or might my extra cable travel translate into higher / better throttle performance?

Thanks for any info.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:18 PM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gas pedal frame (the thing that attaches to the pivot) is a fairly flimsy piece. I had some trouble with my throttle cable sticking and in my zeal to find wide open throttle, I bent the frame.

Its a good idea to ensure the pedal travel matches the throttle travel. I wound up drilling a hole in the floor and using a bolt to serve as a throttle stop.

Good move installing the aluminum mount. I once drove 6 hours to an autocross and had the mount break on my first run. The plastic the mount is made from is impervious to all forms of adhesive created by the human race. I managed to get it together enough to get it on the trailer with some wire ties.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:31 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I broke my plastic mount one time and purchased two throttle assemblies for back up. Fortunately I have not broken one since.

The cable will stop travel at the throttle body linkage, so you cannot give it too much throttle. You will be fine with the new mount. Where did you get the new mount? Did the mount and pedal come as an assembly?
Old 02-07-2016, 08:44 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gas Junkie
The gas pedal frame (the thing that attaches to the pivot) is a fairly flimsy piece. I had some trouble with my throttle cable sticking and in my zeal to find wide open throttle, I bent the frame.

Its a good idea to ensure the pedal travel matches the throttle travel. I wound up drilling a hole in the floor and using a bolt to serve as a throttle stop.

Good move installing the aluminum mount. I once drove 6 hours to an autocross and had the mount break on my first run. The plastic the mount is made from is impervious to all forms of adhesive created by the human race. I managed to get it together enough to get it on the trailer with some wire ties.
Thanks for the tip about the bolt in the floor.

Hopefully, I won't need a spare for my new mount, but I will keep my stock one on hand just in case.

I can identify with your experience. I lost a two day track weekend in Nov, when my Opti failed in the early morning of day 1. Not fun.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:49 AM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by l98tpi
I broke my plastic mount one time and purchased two throttle assemblies for back up. Fortunately I have not broken one since.

The cable will stop travel at the throttle body linkage, so you cannot give it too much throttle. You will be fine with the new mount. Where did you get the new mount? Did the mount and pedal come as an assembly?
Since my replacement is preventive, my original stock mount will serve as my spare.

I bought my new mount from a fellow forum member who crashed, totaled, and parted out his C4. He even included a spare pedal.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:13 PM
emptnest
Burning Brakes

installation went well. Pedal does not bottom out on the floor, and throttle travel is unchanged. It's all good.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 gas pedal mount

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 gas pedal mount