Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pfadt driver seat harness?

Old 02-07-2016, 01:04 AM
jtswenson
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default pfadt driver seat harness?

I'll be installing a race seat in my zr1 and I cannot find the pfadt harness that allows continued use of telescoping wheel and airbag simulator plug. Does anyone know where I can find one or a similar product? Thanks!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:57 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 354 Likes on 221 Posts

I suggest you go to www.afepower.com. That is where all the Pfadt products are now.

Here is some of the stuff they have for ZR1s.
http://afepower.com/shop/application...archtype=combo
Old 02-07-2016, 02:41 PM
jtswenson
Racer

Thanks. I looked there prior to posting this and didn't see the harness anywhere. I still don't.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:27 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jtswenson
I'll be installing a race seat in my zr1 and I cannot find the pfadt harness that allows continued use of telescoping wheel and airbag simulator plug. Does anyone know where I can find one or a similar product? Thanks!
The Pfadt harness that I had did not have an airbag simulator plug. With that harness installed, the airbag light was on and the airbags were totally disabled. (2007 ZO6) That's not to say that there was not multiple designs for the harness; it could have been upgraded.

Jim
Old 02-07-2016, 05:10 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

This company sells what youre looking for: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/
Call before ordering to make sure there arent any year or model specific parts

Old 02-07-2016, 11:30 PM
jtswenson
Racer

Originally Posted by el es tu
This company sells what youre looking for: http://www.vetteworksonline.net/
Call before ordering to make sure there arent any year or model specific parts

Thanks! I found that, but theirs says that it doesn't retain the telescoping wheel. I'm going to have to give them a call.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:15 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

The Pfadt Harness permits the use of your seat memory module so the telescopic steering column will still work. The plugs that came with the kit simulate the side air bags but they don't do anything except turn off the warning light. GM doesn't turn off the front air bags just because there is a problem with one of the side air bags or the pretensioner. If the light is on because the side air bags aren't present the front driver's side air bag will still work. If you have a passenger presence sensor mounted in the seat bottom of a race seat then the passenger side front air bag will work even though the light is on.

If you want to use your telescopic steering column you need connectors to match the wires coming from the steering column and two single pole double throw relays wired between the steering column switch and the power lines in the seat harness.

Here is the schematic for the tilt/tele switch and the control portion contained in the memory module. All you have to do is connect two SPDT Switches in the proper orientation to duplicate the action inside the module (it isn't complicated).

Here is the schematic of a SPDT Switch. All you have to do is splice some small connectors into the lines going from the tele switch to the tele motor.

This works I used the same circuit in my C6Z so I didn't have to remove the memory module from the driver's seat every time I installed the race seats.

Finally found my design info for the circuit. First picture shows the Tele Circuit marked with green and yellow lines. Those lines represent the wiring that has to be duplicated by the relay circuit. In the relay schematic Red Represents +12V, Green Represents Ground, Black represents relay circuit connections to the Tele Motor wires shown in the Tele Schematic and the Blue and Yellow lines represent the connections to the Tele Switch wires shown in the Tele Schematic.

Somewhere in the middle of the C6 model run GM changed the nomenclature of the connectors so this circuit is valid for all C6s but the names of the connectors may be different than for cars built after 08.

Picture of SPDT Relay:

The relay circuit just changes the polarity of the voltage applied to the motor depending on which direction the Tele Switch is moved.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-08-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:47 PM
jtswenson
Racer

Wow! You're a wealth of knowledge as usual Bill! I'm not sure I feel like messing with any of that, so I'll probably just buy the harness if I can find one. If not, I guess I'll have no choice but to figure out what all of your schematics mean. Wiring is easily my least favorite thing to be doing, but I appreciate all the effort you took to do that! I'll gladly pay $75 or whatever it costs to have something plug and play. Thanks!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:48 PM
jtswenson
Racer

In fact, maybe you have a little business venture in front of you Bill. If you want to make a little side cash you could always make a couple dozen of these for those of us that are too lazy!
Old 02-10-2016, 02:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

I was thinking of doing just that but couldn't find out where to source the connectors to connect the circuit to the car. In my application I used the Pfadt harness and spliced the circuit wires into the proper wires in the harness. The problem with the Pfadt harness was the need to use the stock memory module which is fastened to the seat bottom spring in a place where it is easy to cut your hands while removing it and then reinstalling it when you want to use the stock seat.

This picture shows the module fastened to the spring. The black part is the module and the red arrow points to the 3 connectors that need to be disconnected.

Wiring two relays together in a little circuit you can hold in your hand isn't a big deal. It takes all of a half hour including setup and cleanup. If I tried to sell something like that I would have to charge for my time and most people would just say I'll buy the parts and put them together myself.

Bill
Old 02-10-2016, 11:08 AM
jtswenson
Racer

I would bet that most people would be willing to pay you. I found that vetteworks has a solution and he'll have the parts in a couple weeks. My understanding is that it's not required to reuse the module...it's just plug and play.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

If Dan is going to build one that is another reason for me not to get involved. There isn't enough market for two people to make money. He also has more resources available to get it setup and marketed. I still haven't found out how to source the two mating connectors required to tie into the stock harnesses. I have used Mouser for other connectors but haven't seen these ones listed on their web site.

Bill
Old 05-15-2016, 07:46 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Resurrecting this so as not to make a new thread...

Bill- Is there a simple way to get the telescoping switch to work to make one adjustment? I'd just like to bring the wheel a bit closer, and then I'm done... Car is fully caged, race seats, so modules are missing, btu the wiring harness on the car side is still intact I believe.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2016, 01:20 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight

Bill- Is there a simple way to get the telescoping switch to work to make one adjustment? I'd just like to bring the wheel a bit closer, and then I'm done... Car is fully caged, race seats, so modules are missing, btu the wiring harness on the car side is still intact I believe.

Thanks
Just buy the two relays and wire them up like I showed in the schematics. Buy six trailer wiring crimp splices, six cheap spade lug connectors with both mating plugs, splice six female ends into the car harness coming to the seat where the schematic shows (since you don't have a mating connector do it behind the connector). Then wire the two relays together using the wires that come with them and attach the six spade lugs to the wires that go to the car harness. When you want to move the wheel just plug the male leads into the females and move the wheel using the normal control. If you want to get fancy get a 6 wire connector at an auto parts or electronics supply store and wire it into the car harness then wire the matching part to the relays and you have a fool proof connection to the relays. This is 5th grade level wiring so it doesn't take a lot of knowledge the biggest pain is deciding what connectors you want to use. Sometimes washing machine connectors work well in a situation like this.

Once you have the splices and connectors with pins you can have it done in less than an hour.

Bill
Old 09-30-2016, 05:56 PM
jackpilot
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh how I wish your words weren't jibberish to me. I must have pictures when learning something new.

I am in the process of getting a race seat put in and would really like to do this.

Last edited by jackpilot; 09-30-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight

Thanks
I haven't had a chance to do it but Bill told me in this thread that it's just a matter of putting 12V and ground to the motor to move the wheel in and out. My seats are fixed so I just want to move the wheel a little closer to me.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jackpilot
Oh how I wish your words weren't jibberish to me. I must have pictures when learning something new.

I am in the process of getting a race seat put in and would really like to do this.
Look at the diagrams of the relays. They are as simple as can be and actually show more than a picture would show since it wouldn't show how the switches are configured inside the relay. The yellow and blue leads shown in the relay diagram are where the two sides of the steering column telescopic paddle connect to the relays. They control which way the current flows through the circuit, green is ground, red is voltage and black is for the two wires that connect to each side of the steering column motor. The circuit diagram tells you where each of those signals are available on the under seat connectors what the color of the wire is for each circuit and shows where it goes. Print the posted pictures and use some colored pencils to trace the current flow through the circuit. Think of current as water, the wires as pipes and the water flowing through the pipes. Voltage is water pressure being applied and current is water flow through pipes.The current flow (water flow) changes direction because the relays just flip the plumbing around from one place to another.

Bill
Old 10-05-2016, 04:43 PM
jackpilot
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you very much for taking the time to write all of this. You are gentleman and a scholar!

Last edited by jackpilot; 10-05-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To pfadt driver seat harness?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pfadt driver seat harness?