Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Digital Dash and Redundant Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 12:02 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Digital Dash and Redundant Gauges

I'm in the process of configuring the Racepak dash/logger for my race car. Curious about those who run digital dashes. Do you also run physical gauges(Mechanical/Electronic) for vital engine readings?

Just trying to figure out if it makes sense to have redundant gauges.

Thanks!

Last edited by ratt_finkel; 02-24-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:26 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd like to do this in the future as well. Which Racepak did you pick up?

Depending on the dash, I know you can have different screen layouts, some more focused on lap times. If you settle on wanting that info up, maybe a couple of redundant temp/ pressure gauges isn't a bad idea?
Old 02-25-2016, 03:09 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Sort of need to define what you mean by digital dash. A lot of people mistakenly call the Corvette IP a digital dash when it is really an electronic dash. The electronic dash can display the information in both digital format or analog format. Speedometer is in both digital and analog (left side) formats while the tach is only shown in an analog format although they sometimes use a bar graph or thermometer instead of a needle both forms are analog. You can display the other gauges in analog or digital format. The speedo, coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, volts are easier to read in digital format while the tach needs to be shown in analog format due to the way the human eye and brain work.

Bill
Old 02-25-2016, 10:25 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Sort of need to define what you mean by digital dash. A lot of people mistakenly call the Corvette IP a digital dash when it is really an electronic dash. The electronic dash can display the information in both digital format or analog format. Speedometer is in both digital and analog (left side) formats while the tach is only shown in an analog format although they sometimes use a bar graph or thermometer instead of a needle both forms are analog. You can display the other gauges in analog or digital format. The speedo, coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, volts are easier to read in digital format while the tach needs to be shown in analog format due to the way the human eye and brain work.

Bill
Bill,

I have the below Racepak IQ3 Digital Dash/Data Logger.

The main advantage of which is having all the critical sensors tied into one display. Warnings and other alerts can be set. In addition to having the the ability to toggle through multiple screens. It also fully integrates into my Holley Dominator ECU.

The question is whether or not I should also have physical gauges monitoring vitals. Such as oil pressure, water temp, trans temp, etc. More than likely mechanical. Since the whole point of this is assuming the electronics fail for some reason. Or am I being overly paranoid?

Jeremy
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the AIM MXL2 as my only dash right now. The aim water temp sensor stopped working 2 races ago so I had to rely on oil temp to monitor my engine. Yeah, I think a redundant mechanical gauge would be a good idea.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:35 PM
2Fass240us
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Digging this up...

I have a 2004 base and can toggle through the gauges using the menu buttons but would like to see oil temp, oil pressure, AND coolant temp all at the same time on a display. What options do I have?
Old 02-16-2017, 10:36 PM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

I decided to go analog with Speedhut gauges and a custom dash panel for my 89 C4.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:31 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Almost done.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:25 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE=2Fass240us;1594093357]Digging this up...

I have a 2004 base and can toggle through the gauges using the menu buttons but would like to see oil temp, oil pressure, AND coolant temp all at the same time on a display. What options do I have?[/QUOTE

Convert an old phone or tablet into gauges with torque (app) and an obd II reader:
http://androidforums.com/threads/use...gauges.869243/
or this digital all in one gauge:
http://www.plxdevices.com/Automotive...sors-s/108.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Digital Dash and Redundant Gauges

Quick Reply: Digital Dash and Redundant Gauges