Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
I have been using Ontrackinsurance for 5 or 6 years now and have been happy. While I have not had to use it I have talked to several who have and said they pay out right away.
How does OTI work? Does it only cover you? I'm only worried should I hit someone else.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:55 AM
spro2395
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Boca
Check us out, www.ncminsurance.com/hpde. We use Lockton and some of the premium comes back to support the Corvette Museum.
​​​​​​​Would the normal policy cove a problem at an autoX?
Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by spro2395
​​​​​​​Would the normal policy cove a problem at an autoX?
Be sure to read your policy for anything that talks about times events, racing surface, racing, etc. 9 times out of 10 you will not be covered as most carriers have stiffened up their verbiage with regard to anything on-track.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by DOOKEY
Bumping this back up top to see who has some new experiences.
I have had to use track insurance for a total loss. I would be happy to tell you about the entire experience via PM.

I am nearly 100% positive that in multi-car track accidents your track insurance DOES NOT cover the other cars involved.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:06 PM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racingswh
I have had to use track insurance for a total loss. I would be happy to tell you about the entire experience via PM.

I am nearly 100% positive that in multi-car track accidents your track insurance DOES NOT cover the other cars involved.
Thank you for the offer. I'm going to have to find someone else because I can't get the Ontrackinsurance place to return a phone call.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Thank you for the offer. I'm going to have to find someone else because I can't get the Ontrackinsurance place to return a phone call.
I have never used them. My claim was with Lockton.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:23 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Racingswh

I would agree. They make it clear that it's comprehensive coverage without liability coverage.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:16 AM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

So what is the normal "feel" around the race track? Let's say I want to go to COTA and run around it just to say I did. No timed laps. No racing. Just making it around the place to experience it..... then I run into someone else at T1.

How do you cover that?
Old 10-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

So what is the normal "feel" around the race track? Let's say I want to go to COTA and run around it just to say I did. No timed laps. No racing. Just making it around the place to experience it..... then I run into someone else at T1.

How do you cover that?
You don't. The race track is a no fault environment. You assume the risk. If you turn into a corner and the car behind you loses it's brakes and takes you out the repairs to your car are on you.

I know of one instance where a coolant system failure led to a multi car incident behind it. The failed car was not directly involved in any contact. The owner of the car that failed paid for those repairs on the cars that were damaged in the incident of his own accord. A decision made easier for him simply because to him the monetary side had little significance. Not something I have personally heard of before or since.

I will add that if you make sure that your car is properly prepared and you use good judgement the entire time you're driving the possibility of car to car contact is remote. It happens. Just not very often. I insure my car, drive it about 8/10's and never worry about crashing it or into someone else.

Last edited by Racingswh; 10-29-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:16 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Generally it there is on-track contact everyone pays their own bills. It's the same as with racing.

I don't expect to be paid if someone hits me. It's just one of this track day things.

Richard Newton
Track Days 101

Last edited by rfn026; 10-30-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:39 PM
cre8fun
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto what has been said here. I started a thread on rennlist that went 6 pages about this topic. here was the resounding bottomline.

On track car contact - everyone pays for their own car regardless of who may have caused it. IF someone extends themselves to cover another's car, that's extremely nice, but not expected.

If you read the waivers you sign by the track at the gate, as well as the ones from the event organizers, they usually spell out that everyone's on their own and by signing you agree to hold no one (track, organizers, other participants ) liable for any loss you incur.

on track insurance - usually just covers your car while on the race surface. if you want pit or other coverage, you need an STP policy (covers Storage, Transport and pit).

If your car is tagged and insured for public roads - it's crazy unlikely you are covered no matter what your agent says. you will hear many people at the track say, "I talked to my agent. they said I'm covered..." most who've tested this have found that the agent may be doing their best to interpret the policy, but they don't have a say in the matter. unless you get the underwriters to issue you a letter saying you are covered for driving on a "racing surface" you should assume your not covered and that you are actually self insuring.

hope that helps
The following users liked this post:
rfn026 (10-31-2016)

Quick Reply: HPDE Insurance