Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video: Behind The Wheel With Two Different Faces Of Corvette Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 03:15 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Video: Behind The Wheel With Two Different Faces Of Corvette Racing

Let’s face it – every single gearhead wants to be a racecar driver at some point in their life. For most of us, the burning desire starts when we’re pretty young – slowly fading as we find other outlets, such as working on our own cars or going to open-track days. But for others still, that desire never quite gets out of your system. And if you find yourself in the latter group, then these videos are for you.

We can safely say that we fall into that second group as well. The latest generation of Corvette Racing employs arguably the greatest machines that America’s sports car has ever had in competitive racing. Naturally, we’d give just about anything to get behind the wheel of one.

However, that opportunity has yet to present itself, so drooling over these videos seems like the next best thing. In the above video, Tommy Milner pilots the legendary C7.R at a 24 Hours of Daytona practice run.

There’s something so surreal about the sound of dozens of GT cars screaming around the track as Milner waits to take the reigns. The C7.R’s intimidating, spaceship-like interior adds to the surreality, and in-and-of itself declares that the beast is all business.

When Milner leaves the pit, the monstrous roar of the car’s 5.5-liter naturally aspirated V8 becomes nearly hypnotizing as it echoes through the stripped shell of the performance-bred machine. The mechanical thud from each lightning-fast gear change, and the rapid backfire as the motor comes off of compression are enough to get the adrenaline flowing just by watching the footage.

In the second video, we’re given the behind-the-wheel of Jordan Taylor in the Corvette Daytona Prototype during a test session. By the strictest of definitions, the Corvette DP looks like a pure race car – both outside and in. Powered by yet another 5.5-liter V8, it certainly sounds the part, as well. The 14 minutes of Taylor’s session is equally as entrancing as Milner’s practice laps at Daytona; we can only speculate how unbelievably fun it must be to soar around that track, entirely uninhibited by any other drivers or distractions.

So if you’ve got 30 minutes to kill, put on some headphones, sit back, and take it all in. And don’t be surprised when your childhood fantasy of being a racecar driver resurfaces.

24 Hours of Daytona: Corvette C7.R with Tommy Milner - /DRIVER'S EYE

Watkins Glen Daytona Prototype Test with Jordan Taylor - /DRIVER'S EYE
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

These videos are great love the perspective, just watched them both. Prefer this over the voice which is what my wife is watching.......
Old 03-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Let’s face it – every single gearhead wants to be a racecar driver at some point in their life. For most of us, the burning desire starts when we’re pretty young – slowly fading as we find other outlets, such as working on our own cars or going to open-track days. But for others still, that desire never quite gets out of your system. And if you find yourself in the latter group, then these videos are for you.
First - Great Videos

But, wanting to be a race driver and not doing it is just a lack of commitment. You just don't want it enough. And you start a list of the same old, same old excuses.

"Every man dies but not every man lives. "
Old 03-10-2016, 10:59 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
But, wanting to be a race driver and not doing it is just a lack of commitment. You just don't want it enough. And you start a list of the same old, same old excuses.

And the commitment at the lowest levels is not much. Almost any caged car and a weekend school will get you started.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:32 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
And the commitment at the lowest levels is not much. Almost any caged car and a weekend school will get you started.
Moneywise, yep. The time commitment is a bit more.

But, If you want to race, it's easy to get into. And it's easy to get into something fast. My first open wheel was $10k and ran faster lap times than most Z06's. Plus running side by side with 40 cars going into turn 1.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:24 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

First - Great Videos

Just for clarity...I copied and pasted my post from one of my online magazines. Generally I include a link to the article but I forgot to on this one.

And - great quote; "Every man dies but not every man lives"
I have it as wallpaper on my phone
Old 03-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Just for clarity...I copied and pasted my post from one of my online magazines. Generally I include a link to the article but I forgot to on this one.
That makes me feel better.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:41 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

That makes me feel better.
Almost 8 years ago I purchased a 3 day beginner class to Spring Mountain. I've been a avid motorsports fan for years and rode motocross for most of my life until I broke a leg. After I had the rod removed from my femur I purchased a new bike but most of the others in my group of friends that saw me get injured quit riding in the 18 months I had been out. I found new riding buddies that in a few years quit as well so competitive motocross seemed to be "irresponsible" amongst people my age holding good jobs. I took the hint and thought before I purchased a car for HPDE or other events I would attend Spring Mountain. Great decision, I loved driving on track and somewhat similar to motocross observing and choosing lines helped me develop driving skills with cars. To your point, I am living before I die
Old 03-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Almost 8 years ago I purchased a 3 day beginner class to Spring Mountain. I've been a avid motorsports fan for years and rode motocross for most of my life until I broke a leg. After I had the rod removed from my femur I purchased a new bike but most of the others in my group of friends that saw me get injured quit riding in the 18 months I had been out. I found new riding buddies that in a few years quit as well so competitive motocross seemed to be "irresponsible" amongst people my age holding good jobs. I took the hint and thought before I purchased a car for HPDE or other events I would attend Spring Mountain. Great decision, I loved driving on track and somewhat similar to motocross observing and choosing lines helped me develop driving skills with cars. To your point, I am living before I die
I always thought motocross was kinda bumpy with shocks that had 1 inch of travel.

My 2ond 2 years of college, got a job in a Yamaha shop as a mechanic in Colorado, sold my 63 Corvette convert. , bought a brand new 1972 250 Yamaha, rode some motocross, switched to 250 & 500 mile cross country then switched to flat track, ran the 250 and had a one year sponsorship by the shop to run a 750 on the mile flat tracks.

Moved back to the east coast, bought a 78 Yam for the half mile tracks and a 67 Corvette.

Switched to Karts on the big tracks (Sears Point, etc.) won 5 championships in 10 years.

Switched to Open Wheel Racing (best things I've ever driven).

Still have the 72 Yam, 80% restored (lousy pic).
Still have the 67, frame off restoration under way.

Currently crew chief on a Formula Atlantic, a SCCA Chief of Tech for Time Trials and a SCCA driving instructor for 18 years.
Attached Images   
Old 03-12-2016, 03:34 PM
370camaro95
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres some videos I thought of after seeing this thread. (note o'connells joke about xbox lol)

Great to see a pro drive a street car, you don't see that much.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:21 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice vids. Those guys work a lot harder than I do at the track. After growing up a big NASCAR fan and watching it all my life on tv, finally get to do Charlotte and Daytona ranks right up there with losing my virginity to a preacher's daughter! Sure would like to ride along with one of those guys when they took my car for a few laps.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:00 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I always thought motocross was kinda bumpy with shocks that had 1 inch of travel.

My 2ond 2 years of college, got a job in a Yamaha shop as a mechanic in Colorado, sold my 63 Corvette convert. , bought a brand new 1972 250 Yamaha, rode some motocross, switched to 250 & 500 mile cross country then switched to flat track, ran the 250 and had a one year sponsorship by the shop to run a 750 on the mile flat tracks.

Moved back to the east coast, bought a 78 Yam for the half mile tracks and a 67 Corvette.

Switched to Karts on the big tracks (Sears Point, etc.) won 5 championships in 10 years.

Switched to Open Wheel Racing (best things I've ever driven).

Still have the 72 Yam, 80% restored (lousy pic).
Still have the 67, frame off restoration under way.

Currently crew chief on a Formula Atlantic, a SCCA Chief of Tech for Time Trials and a SCCA driving instructor for 18 years.
Life is gooooood

Get notified of new replies

To Video: Behind The Wheel With Two Different Faces Of Corvette Racing

Quick Reply: Video: Behind The Wheel With Two Different Faces Of Corvette Racing