Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Warrior Plus - Paint Protection - Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:17 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Road Warrior Plus - Paint Protection - Review

So I ran road warrior plus this past weekend at a 2 day HPDE. I drove the car to the track, about 2 hours, and then drove home after the event.

Initial Impressions

Product literally rolls on just like painting a room, with a little paint roller applicator. It doesn't cure in the pan, or when applying to the car.

It is really important to be consistent with the application, or else you will get an area that doesn't want to cure. Eventually it will, it just takes more time than the rest of the car. Reference the little whiter areas here. Don't do that.

After applying you simply heat it with any hair dryer or heat gun. I was using a fairly economy hair dryer, and what I found worked best was to heat up the hair dryer, while targeting one area. (My wife walked on on my blow drying my car, which she found hilarious.) Once it is actually blowing hot air, just slowly work over the entire area. You do not need to wait for it to turn clear. Just get it a little warm and move on. It will clear up while you are working on other parts of the car.

Finished product.

It took about 1 hour for me to do the entire front end of my car. I did 3 coats in order to get a nice thick film.

I ultimately decided to peel it off below the air intakes for the radiator, and air box because rain was in the forecast and I was concerned it would come off and make a mess of things. I covered these areas with TrakkTape. (Which is another great product.) This was a good decision.

Ultimately it did not perform well at all when it was raining, several large chunks peeled off, and flew over the car. What I believe happened, is that little pinholes from road debris let water behind the film which caused it to bubble, and then sheet off. This may sound like a negative but its not. You just need to use it for the proper environment. I will explain below.

Damaged film after wet track session.

With that said, in the dry this stuff is amazing. I did not have a single rock chip on the front end of my car when I cleaned it off today.

Its drawback in the rain, is possibly its greatest strength. When I got home, I literally just washed my car. Used the garden hose with a tight spray nozzle, and was able to sheet the road warrior off of the car. I then grabbed and pulled it all off. With minimal residue around the edges. That came off easily enough with judicious amounts of water, a little goo gone, or what worked the best and ironically what I tried last a small strip of TrakkTape blotting. I did all of the residue in about 5 minutes.

It dries clear, and in my photos you can hardly tell it is on the car.

Ultimately, if rain is in the forecast be careful with this. I am glad that I pulled it off near the intakes, because it would certainly have made a mess of my radiator or air box. BUT, in the dry this stuff sticks like glue. But washes off relatively easily.

If the forecast is dry, I will ALWAYS put this on my car as part of my track prep. Its to quick and easy. Plus, you get to make your wife laugh.

Last edited by ElCid79; 04-04-2016 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Repaired Photo Links.
The following users liked this post:
BEZ06 (04-05-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 07:41 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Thanks for the report!!

I got a quart (looks like the same size bottle you have). I got it a couple weeks ago, and need to put it on for an event next week at on the Rolex 24 roadcourse at Daytona.

How much of the bottle did you use doing 3 coats?

I'm just curious how many times I might be able to coat the front end with a quart.

TIA

-
Old 04-06-2016, 04:18 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

It hardly takes any. Maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of a CUP if that. When you open the bottle there should be a little slit in the plastic film. Leave it in place. This helps slow the pour. You only need a tiny bit for each coat.

You will likely get 10 or so front end only sessions if i had to guess.

Last edited by ElCid79; 04-06-2016 at 04:20 PM.
BEZ06 (04-22-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 03:18 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Thanks for a great review. Jerry
Old 04-22-2016, 05:08 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

works great - heavier application is best
BEZ06 (04-22-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 10:00 PM
monroepaul
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
works great - heavier application is best
Does anyone know if this product can be used over x-pel clear wrap? I bought the product and I've now used it twice for track days and couldn't be happier with the product. The problem is that I'm getting chips on the front of my car from driving on the highway and am gonna have to do a clear wrap but I want to use the road warrior over it for track days to save the x-pel if I can.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:22 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by monroepaul
Does anyone know if this product can be used over x-pel clear wrap? I bought the product and I've now used it twice for track days and couldn't be happier with the product. The problem is that I'm getting chips on the front of my car from driving on the highway and am gonna have to do a clear wrap but I want to use the road warrior over it for track days to save the x-pel if I can.
I use it over the gray stripes on my AW 13 GS, peels off with no issues. As stated earlier, thick coats are best. I have been using 2 thick coats, peels off easy. Thin coat is tough to get off. I use about 1 gal a season (10 track days).
Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

After further use, my favorite method of peeling it off is a pressure washer. It sheets right off.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:05 AM
TurboRegal84
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ElCid79
After further use, my favorite method of peeling it off is a pressure washer. It sheets right off.
Pressure washer works great. If you do not have one handy I usually just hose it down and let it soak for about 5 minutes. After that it comes right off. Great product.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:58 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

One recommendation I have is to use the thinnest painter's tape to cover your seams. It eventually comes off but getting this stuff out of the edges can be time consuming.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

I like to use painters tape to strick a neat line where I want the RWP to stop. Roll right up on the tape, and then fairly quickly peel the tape off and you have a nice straight edge. Great stuff. Used to own the company but recently sold it. New owner is a great guy and a corvette man himself! Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Road Warrior Plus - Paint Protection - Review

Quick Reply: Road Warrior Plus - Paint Protection - Review