Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GEICO Dropped Me for Autocrossing My ____

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:06 PM
apex26
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default no conflict

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I had heard that USAA will cancel an auto policy if they find out that a covered vehicle is on the grounds of a facility or at an autocross event if the vehicle is parked in a paddock or pit area. The assumption is that the vehicle would be used on the track by virtue of it simply being where it could enter the track.

While I have never purchased specific coverage for a track day event, I wonder if there would be a conflict of some kind between insurance companies if one had to file a claim?
A policy specifically purchased for an event would be primary (pay first). It's almost a moot point as to other auto coverage, because auto policies were never intended to cover track usage, and by now probably all have ironclad exclusions. I bought an enclosed car hauler and didn't insure it separately because it would tip off my agent. The issue of being listed on Solo results, and participants at track days is more troublesome. Like Bill, I've had the same company for about 35-40 years, they take me for granted and ignore me--perfect!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I had heard that USAA will cancel an auto policy if they find out that a covered vehicle is on the grounds of a facility or at an autocross event if the vehicle is parked in a paddock or pit area. The assumption is that the vehicle would be used on the track by virtue of it simply being where it could enter the track.

My car was recently destroyed in the parking lot of the location where an autocross was to be held, about 3 hours before the event. I have USAA. I'll have an answer as to the veracity of that on that rumor tomorrow. Thus far is has not even been discussed nor mentioned as a consideration, so I am inclined to disbelieve.

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 04-20-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Just a follow up: USAA is well aware that my car was destroyed in the parking lot where an autocross was going to be held 2 hours later that morning. Didn't matter. Settled with me no problem.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:27 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Road & Track on the subject

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...isky-business/
Old 05-06-2016, 04:56 PM
sierra 43
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had geico for years, then I bought an 1981 Z28 Camaro. They dropped me saying they did not insure high performance cars. That was 1981. I asked why they insured my 63 and 69 Corvettes? I was told they were sports cars and not considered "high performance". Jeez. I canceled everything I had with them and went with State Farm.
I do track days with my ZL1 Camaro, and I buy insurance at the track for the event, very reasonable, for the event, and all is good.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:12 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Hard lesson for the OP's quoted OP. Never mention racing to an insurance agent. That is inviting problems. Autocross is normally a timed event which (according to State Farm) is racing. So of course they will cancel. Would you go to the cops and say "I was speeding in a residential area when some punk azz threw a rock at my car. His name and address is xyz, I want him arrested.".
Old 05-16-2016, 07:48 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When I moved I considered consolidating my insurance under State Farm or USAA. I have been a Customer of both for ~ 50 years. USAA told me they wouldn't insure my Corvette because I used it on the track. I said your insurance has an exclusion for track usage, why do you care whether or not I use it on a track every now and then. They just said it is our company policy not to insure cars that are used on a track.
No explainable reason.

Bill
Bill,

I have a long string of emails between me and a USAA underwriter. We went back and forth on the "racing" vs "HPDE" difference. The key point the underwriter made was that even an HPDE is considered "unacceptable use or usage" of the car since participation involves pushing the car's systems beyond normal highway and street driving performance. Unacceptable use wasn't mentioned in my policy anywhere and evidently isn't ever included in their general policy terms and conditions.

Both the USAA underwriter and customer service reps insisted that unacceptable use is a general guideline they apply to every car they insure, regardless of state. USAA also told me that if I participate in HPDE with the (at that time) covered Corvette, they could terminate my policy for all other family cars on the policy.

I moved my Corvette to NCM Insurance.

Last edited by arturox2; 05-16-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Quick Reply: GEICO Dropped Me for Autocrossing My ____