Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harry's Lap Timer w/GoPro

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 03:59 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Harry's Lap Timer w/GoPro

I'm looking for some feedback on this setup. I'm using a hero4 silver with an automatic obd bt dongle and an iPhone 6plus.

I was hoping to use the phones front camera to do additional video as well as lap timing.

I'm going to the bash HPDE and any help or tips are welcome. If there is a nice economical setup that you know of that exceeds this one, please leave it in the comments.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2016, 04:25 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I've used the Harry's lap timer with my iPhone 5 and a good windshield mount for several track days. My only beef was not having enough memory in the phone. I could only get about 2, 20min sessions of video before out of memory. Having a hero that was controlled by the phone would be great.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:50 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

You will get a lot of camera jitter with the 6Plus if you decide to use that for video. The next version of Harrys will allow use of just the GoPro which it will control, or both the GoPro and the internal camera. I was beta testing this, using GoPro only, it should be released very shortly.

If you go this way, suggest putting your phone in airplane mode when on track, nothing like getting a call at track speeds, and it messes up the app for that session. Another consideration is an external GPS, the 1Hz update on the phone makes for choppy data.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:02 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by gpuglisi
You will get a lot of camera jitter with the 6Plus if you decide to use that for video. The next version of Harrys will allow use of just the GoPro which it will control, or both the GoPro and the internal camera. I was beta testing this, using GoPro only, it should be released very shortly.

If you go this way, suggest putting your phone in airplane mode when on track, nothing like getting a call at track speeds, and it messes up the app for that session. Another consideration is an external GPS, the 1Hz update on the phone makes for choppy data.
you have a recommendation for external GPS? Thanks
Old 04-25-2016, 12:31 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Whis9
you have a recommendation for external GPS? Thanks
Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Dual Electronics XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver for Portable Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

This is what I've been using with both Harry's and Track Addict.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
Me and several guys I drive with use the Dual. One pointer, don't rely on the fiction mat that comes with the unit. I just barely caught my as it was going out the window. Now I use the Velcro strap that comes with the unit and strap it to my camera mount. One other pointer, if it doesn't immediately work with Harrys, you may need to do the firmware update. I had to update the firmware with mine but I purchased it two or three years ago.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:26 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by YYZ06
Me and several guys I drive with use the Dual. One pointer, don't rely on the fiction mat that comes with the unit. I just barely caught my as it was going out the window. Now I use the Velcro strap that comes with the unit and strap it to my camera mount. One other pointer, if it doesn't immediately work with Harrys, you may need to do the firmware update. I had to update the firmware with mine but I purchased it two or three years ago.
True, I actually strap mine to my E-brake handle and keep it connected to the USB charger so it is always charged during a track day because I usually don't remember to turn it off after a session.

Last edited by fleming23; 04-25-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:13 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

harry is a great way to get some times but i got fed up with the erasy and cheap set ups. i also ran with a G-tech RR lap timer. The g tech RR was completely awful. it would shave a few seconds off my lap times, i thought i was Mario Andretti because i was faster then every one i compared times with. i Got a AIM solo and won't look back. i never need to mess with it. just flip it on, and it does the rest. it turns itself off after being static for 10 min. a battery will last me 2 day events and the data helps me get a lot faster.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:20 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

I'll look into that. I ordered a Waylens off of Kickstarter for that reason but I don't know if it has a timer in it. I didn't pay much but we'll see how it works. I already had a go pro so Harry's was $20. I did order an OBD dongle but I may ship it back.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:27 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
harry is a great way to get some times but i got fed up with the erasy and cheap set ups. i also ran with a G-tech RR lap timer. The g tech RR was completely awful. it would shave a few seconds off my lap times, i thought i was Mario Andretti because i was faster then every one i compared times with. i Got a AIM solo and won't look back. i never need to mess with it. just flip it on, and it does the rest. it turns itself off after being static for 10 min. a battery will last me 2 day events and the data helps me get a lot faster.
Thanks for the insight!
Old 04-25-2016, 03:51 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Originally Posted by fleming23
Agreed, I have the older XGPS Unit, works fine.

I'm at the same point. Making sure your external cam, external BT device, OBD2 adapter, are all synced and working gets old. Then forget to put the phone in airplane mode and catch a call, your data session is done. I'm looking at dedicated systems now with analysis software. AIM Solo/Solo DL are at the top of the list.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:38 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed, I have the older XGPS Unit, works fine.

I'm at the same point. Making sure your external cam, external BT device, OBD2 adapter, are all synced and working gets old. Then forget to put the phone in airplane mode and catch a call, your data session is done. I'm looking at dedicated systems now with analysis software. AIM Solo/Solo DL are at the top of the list.
i've been tracking since 2007. nothing goes into the car that has a "all you need to do" step count longer then 1 step.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:58 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

i've been tracking since 2007. nothing goes into the car that has a "all you need to do" step count longer then 1 step.
So, in airplane mode, everything works? I was worried about an incoming call. The obd is BT and the cam is wifi, that should work I would think. Right now, I have $120 extra invested, if it doesn't work, I'm going to look at AIM I think.

Great feedback guys, I appreciate it.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:57 AM
gpuglisi
Racer

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
So, in airplane mode, everything works? I was worried about an incoming call. The obd is BT and the cam is wifi, that should work I would think. Right now, I have $120 extra invested, if it doesn't work, I'm going to look at AIM I think.

Great feedback guys, I appreciate it.
Everything works. You will need to turn on WiFi and Bluetooth after putting the phone in Airplane mode as it shuts those off as well. But they can be turned on while remaining Airplane mode.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:24 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Everything works. You will need to turn on WiFi and Bluetooth after putting the phone in Airplane mode as it shuts those off as well. But they can be turned on while remaining Airplane mode.
Excellent. Thank you.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Quicker10u
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AUTO_X_AL
Excellent. Thank you.

I need to work on this, as I tried to Get the GoPro linked with the OBD and the Harrys and it was a pain in the butt. I pretty much gave up and just used my GoPro alone. Why does this have to be so complex?
Old 04-28-2016, 05:21 PM
gpuglisi
Racer

Originally Posted by Quicker10u
I need to work on this, as I tried to Get the GoPro linked with the OBD and the Harrys and it was a pain in the butt. I pretty much gave up and just used my GoPro alone. Why does this have to be so complex?
Make sure your phone WiFi is connected to the GoPro. And since the phone can only connect to one WiFi source, the OBD2 Dongle must be Bluetooth, and of course connected as well. For decent data you will want an external Bluetooth connected GPS too.

Get notified of new replies

To Harry's Lap Timer w/GoPro

Old 04-30-2016, 10:19 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Originally Posted by Quicker10u
It's a pain. I got everything paired but overlaying data with the GoPro footage has been an exercise in futility thus far.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:02 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Are you talking Droid, iPhone, or both?
Old 05-01-2016, 10:03 AM
gpuglisi
Racer

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Are you talking Droid, iPhone, or both?
My older iPhone 5 was fine. My current iPhone 6Plus is has a lot of shake or jitter, unusable for me, some may be ok with it. I'm not sure about Droid, have no personal experience. There are some threads on the issue over at the HLT Forums.

Quick Reply: Harry's Lap Timer w/GoPro