Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have some question about trailing a vette on "open car trailer"

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 01:48 AM
Metalgearsolid_x
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd like take this time and THANK EVERYONE in this thread for all their fantastic replies! I did a debut 11 hour trip each way with the trailer and vette didn't move a cm! Used the T hooks mentioned above and 2"x6" wood as ramp to load. Everything worked out great. It's amazing how much you can learn in these forums. One week I have zero knowledge about trailing, next week I'm trailer 5400 lbs for 12 hours trip!

Since it was a rented trailer and they only rent "steel trailer", weight was a littel issue during hills. I drove through PA and OH so I hit quite a few uphills and downhills. I kept it tow haul mode which helped. I think if I opted for 3:92 gears and tow package (not sure what extra is included in tow pack), I'd have a slightly better time. Driving on flat it's a blast though. I was doing 75 mph! oh, I got 16+ mpg the whole way with 2000 lbs trailer and 3300 lb vette! Pretty crazy imo!

Last edited by Metalgearsolid_x; 05-22-2016 at 01:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ramo7769 (06-20-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 10:13 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I pull a steel trailer with my Vette behind a V8 Colorado. Will pull at 75 mph no problem. Your Ram will do great. Leave the tranny in neutral as Mark stated, parking brake set. A 2"x12" will work fine for a ramp.
wait a second... what s this v8 a factory option?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:40 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
wait a second... what s this v8 a factory option?
Yep you could get a 5.3 in some of them, crew cab I think.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...trumented-test
Old 05-23-2016, 11:08 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

do want!
Old 05-26-2016, 11:46 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I used a light weight steel trailer for years with several cars. Used the "T" slots with the C5, cross straps front and rear, leave car in "Neutral", set hand brake and recheck straps no more than an hour after hitting the road and once more if any are found loose.

Ramps made from a sheet of plywood and a few 2X4's to add another 4 foot to the 5 ft trailer ramps.

I pulled this trailer cross country with a Dodge D3500, Dodge '07 Durango, and to local tracks with a Dakota....no issues. Drive safe

Old 05-26-2016, 11:52 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
do want!
You could also get the 5.3 in the Trailblazer extended version and the Envoy Denali. Once I realized the Envoy could be had in the Denali package and that it was a guaranteed V8, I stuck the wife in one. Backup tow rig!
Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by apex26
Lots of good advice here. I'd add make SURE you have correct tongue weight. Don't set the car too far back because it's low, use planks to get the weight distribution correct. Years ago I was towing back from Carlisle with a borrowed rig, (with plenty of tongue weight), the truck was too light for the implement trailer, and on a downhill curve it began to sway. As I got out of the gas it got worse. Luckily my engineer brother was with me and yelled "get off the brake and on the gas!" If you don't have something that can weigh 500 lbs, use a bath scale and put a plank equidistant with a block on one side and the bath scales on the other and multiply by 2. Sway can happen but from lack of tongue weight is a preventable danger.
tongue weight is the most important factor in a safe tow, don't be casual about this.if you don't have enough tongue weight, it will scare the crap out of you, and it's possible spin the whole rig around. It can happen to you. Be safe and adjust the tongue weight correctly, measure it.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:42 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Meh. I've never weighed, just hook it up and go for a drive. If the trailer tries to steer the truck, not enough tongue weight. If it's all porpoisey, either too much tongue weight or not enough truck.

Quick Reply: I have some question about trailing a vette on "open car trailer"